PDA

View Full Version : Yet another SKS question

8bitnintendo
12-21-2010, 12:04 AM
One of my friends has (his estimate) around 15-17 SKSes that he acquired some time ago when he was into collecting them, and is planning to sell off a couple to fund other projects.

I am definitely going to be buying one from him -- any recommendations as to what I should ask for specifically? I want something that's nice, but that is not rare enough for people to want to strangle me for shooting it. I'm basically just looking for a good looking shooter, maybe a bit uncommon but not something that will get collectors upset about my taking it out to the desert. I would be leaving it in original configuration in any case. I've been doing some reading on the different variants but other than firing one several times in the past I don't know a lot about the SKS...

DanDaDude102
12-21-2010, 12:11 AM
They are great rifles, you may just want to check for rust and pitting in the bore, especially if its a yugo. You may also want to see if all the serial numbers match, but thats not a big deal if you just want it for shooting. If your going to ptp transfer then ask the dealer to headspace check it while your there

Interloper
12-21-2010, 12:46 AM
They're all shooters. Don't sweat that aspect. I would mostly look for good bores and matching numbers, especially the bolt and receiver.
The nicest fit and finish are the Soviets.
Drop me a PM if he's planning on selling more. I might be in the market for one myself.

bplvr
12-21-2010, 1:00 AM
Here is a link to Youper's site. Lots of interesting reading.You might consider changing the firing pin to one of Murrays as the SKS was known to slamfire
in FA when the pin had issues.

http://www.yooperj.com/

johnthomas
12-21-2010, 1:38 AM
Sks's from 1945 to 1950 had a return spring on the firing pin. After 1950 they did not. I ordered the Murray firing pin w/spring for all 5 of my sks's. I had problems with the two I shoot a lot, the spring breaks after a few hundred rounds, that is why it comes with a replacement spring. I wonder now if this is the reason the Russian's did away with that feature on their Sks's. I have shot hundreds of rounds with the original pin, making sure I cleaned the bolt and firing pin and didn't stick. I'm not sure what countries sks's your friend has, but I prefer the Russian. I have a Chinese, which runs great, the Yugo is the worst of the bunch, no chrome barrel.

morrcarr67
12-21-2010, 8:06 AM
One of my friends has (his estimate) around 15-17 SKSes that he acquired some time ago when he was into collecting them, and is planning to sell off a couple to fund other projects.

I am definitely going to be buying one from him -- any recommendations as to what I should ask for specifically?

Matching numbers is good. Russian or Romanian made is good.

MOST IMPORTANT! is the date of manufacture. Long guns that are 50 years old or older do not need to go through a 01 FFL, Private Party Transfer. All you need to do is give your friend some money and take home your new rifle. :D

Lucky Scott
12-21-2010, 8:12 AM
I would get Russian if it is available.
Numbers match is always nice.
Pass up any that have been "Bubba'd " and get all original.
Nobody will mind you shooting it, they are all shooters and they all shoot just fine.

Dont worry about the Yugo not having a chrome barrel.

laika
12-21-2010, 9:38 AM
+1 on the Murray's firing pin. The b/f installed one on his and my Yugo and made a huge difference. They weren't slamfiring (yet!) but they were piercing the primers on Wolf ammo and causing a nasty smokefest. Now they are a pleasure to shoot with any ammo. Good choice; I love mine NOW.

As folks above said the Russian and Romanians are considered the nicest. Yugos don't have the chrome barrel (don't know which others don't) so you have to clean them fast.

emcon5
12-21-2010, 9:40 AM
MOST IMPORTANT! is the date of manufacture. Long guns that are 50 years old or older do not need to go through a 01 FFL, Private Party Transfer. All you need to do is give your friend some money and take home your new rifle. :D

Good advice.

8bitnintendo
12-21-2010, 9:58 AM
Okay, so I should aim for Russian, Romanian, or good Chinese, preferably old enough to be C&R, matching numbers (I was hoping for the last two anyway, but thanks for the reminder :) )

858casper858
12-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Look out for any Albanians, easily noticeable by the AK style charging handle. You said you don't really want a rare SKS but if you see any Albys you could let me know! :D

mls343
12-21-2010, 10:28 AM
My first rifle was a Chicom Vietnam bring back SKS. back in 1970 when they were considered rare. Since then, I've added another Chinese (1990's) and a couple of Russians to the stable. So far, I've never had a failure of any kind with any of them and nothing has broke. From my standpoint, the fit and finish on the Russians is a little better than the Chinese.

Just my opinion.

Lucky Scott
12-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Chinese will not be old enough to do a face to face cash deal. You will have to DROS it, according to law.

Haggar85
12-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Russian, Yugo Romanian all the way.
I'd pass on a Chinese, they are the bic lighter of the fire arms world.

858casper858
12-21-2010, 11:17 AM
I'd pass on a Chinese, they are the bic lighter of the fire arms world.
not sure what you mean, every bic lighter I've owned has performed flawlessly until the fluid ran out. ;)

Lucky Scott
12-21-2010, 11:20 AM
I love my Yugo, but got to admit, the Chinese SKS works like a dream.

bombadillo
12-21-2010, 11:35 AM
I LOVE my '53 russian a lot. It has a nice sharp bore, the wood is in good condition, numbers matched and in general, you can tell how beat they are.

frankm
12-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Definitely Russian if you can get it. He has 17!!!

I'll take it! :)

mosinnagantm9130
12-21-2010, 1:16 PM
My order of preference:

1.Russian
2.Romainian
3.Yugo m59
4.Albainian
5.Chinese
6.Yugo m59/66

The Russians will not need an FFL transfer, they are cash and carry. Romainians won't if they are dated 59 or earlier, unless you wait till after January 1st to buy, then the 1960 dated ones will also be OK for cash and carry.

As for rarity, Izhevsk SKS's are much less common than Tulas. 1961 and 1962 Romainians are much rarer than other Romainians. I've never seen a even a picture of a 1961 or 1962, but supposedly they exist.

Anchors
12-21-2010, 8:45 PM

I am definitely going to be buying one from him -- any recommendations as to what I should ask for specifically? I want something that's nice, but that is not rare enough for people to want to strangle me for shooting it. I'm basically just looking for a good looking shooter, maybe a bit uncommon but not something that will get collectors upset about my taking it out to the desert. I would be leaving it in original configuration in any case. I've been doing some reading on the different variants but other than firing one several times in the past I don't know a lot about the SKS...

I would look for two SKS either Russian or Romanian.
One that he can sell to you and one he can sell to me! haha.

Interloper
12-21-2010, 10:07 PM
If you see one with a numeral "1" inside a triangle, snag it!

mosinnagantm9130
12-21-2010, 11:11 PM
If you see one with a numeral "1" inside a triangle, snag it!

A DDR SKS would be a nice find.....

Anchors
12-21-2010, 11:58 PM
A DDR SKS would be a nice find.....

Is that what is on the East Germans?

mosinnagantm9130
12-22-2010, 12:26 AM
Is that what is on the East Germans?

Yep. DDR=Deutsche Demokratische Republik

Not Dance Dance Revolution:p

Anchors
12-22-2010, 1:16 AM
Yep. DDR=Deutsche Demokratische Republik

Not Dance Dance Revolution:p

LOL
Ah, the limited edition Dance Dance SKS.
The rarest of them all.

You never know, Asians have been known to use SKS' and to play a lot of DDR.

Haha