PDA

View Full Version : Waterfowl in Waders

rubdub
12-20-2010, 4:51 PM
Hey Guys,

Is there a good place to go in the immediate south-bay area (San Mateo County area) that is decent hunting for a waterfowler with no dog and no boat?

I've been to grizzly island before, and I can just wade in the ponds out there to retrieve my birds. Is there anything like this more near-by?

sargenv
12-20-2010, 8:11 PM
I recall seeing someone hunting out in the marsh out by Moffet field.. there are access roads out that way with someone to call for access.. I'd look up places to hunt on the DFG website..

edwardm
12-20-2010, 9:26 PM
I think there are still areas out by the Dumbarton Bridge where you can duck hunt, but double-check with DFG. Grizzly Island isn't *that* far. :)

Just checked - the Ravenswood Unit is still open to walk-ins, so that's at least one area. If you need more info, PM me. I'm in San Mateo County and can point you to a few other spots.

thevic
12-20-2010, 9:31 PM
The one next to dumbarton bridge is ravenswood. Open 7 days a week (most places are wed/sat/sun.) you are required to carry a pass that you print from the dfg website. Its basically a waiver.

I am going to scout it tomorrow morning.

Besides that, I always goto alviso or los banos every week. They are not in sm county. I heard pescadero/hmb has an area, but i dont see it on my waterfowl locations. Milpitas also has an area i know of.

Alviso is too deep to wade, but you can make it work. Ducks are dumber than dirt and you just sut on the path and take em out.

Los banos you can wade around. the water can be chest deep, but most of is knee deep. most blinds you are required to shoot at a specific spot, but theres a few that are free roam so you can pick where your blind is. You need to get there the night before and enter the lottery, or get there at 4 am on the day of the hunt and catch an open spot (usually the blinds that do not get the good traffic)

crittergitter4
12-21-2010, 12:10 PM
I would invest in a small boat for that area. For walk in your options are Ravenswood or the Gold St. ponds which are both federal properties. I attempted these ponds without a boat a couple years ago and decided it was better just not to shoot. I know guys do it but I was always worried about sailing birds and not being able to retireve them there (lots of deeper water in some ponds and portions of the bay). Eden Landing in Hayward is a DFG property and has decent access and ability to retrieve birds without a boat or dog but there are still areas where you could easily sail a bird and not be able to retrieve it. Some guys use the fishing pole/treble hook technique to retrieve but that is sometimes not an option. You have to be real selective about your shots. My advice again would be buy a small (8-10 ft) boat. You can find used ones all over. Your options will open way up.

edwardm
12-21-2010, 2:10 PM
How'd scouting go? I may go 'scout' the area with the 870 in the truck next week while I'm off work. What's it take to throw my waders, some non-lead shot and the boomstick and go look. :)

The one next to dumbarton bridge is ravenswood. Open 7 days a week (most places are wed/sat/sun.) you are required to carry a pass that you print from the dfg website. Its basically a waiver.

I am going to scout it tomorrow morning.

Besides that, I always goto alviso or los banos every week. They are not in sm county. I heard pescadero/hmb has an area, but i dont see it on my waterfowl locations. Milpitas also has an area i know of.

Alviso is too deep to wade, but you can make it work. Ducks are dumber than dirt and you just sut on the path and take em out.

Los banos you can wade around. the water can be chest deep, but most of is knee deep. most blinds you are required to shoot at a specific spot, but theres a few that are free roam so you can pick where your blind is. You need to get there the night before and enter the lottery, or get there at 4 am on the day of the hunt and catch an open spot (usually the blinds that do not get the good traffic)

sargenv
12-22-2010, 6:17 AM
Another option you might look into is float tubing the deeper areas.. you can pick up a float tube that you would use for fishing) for likely a bit cheaper than a boat.. I've read articles where the writer did this specifically. You can make yourself up as an "island" and do as well as if you were in a boat.A float tube is also likely a bit smaller and doesn't require a trailer.

joshua76
12-24-2010, 10:21 AM
In that refuge, can we bring non-hunting friends for duck hunting?
I think generally that's allowed? But I cannot find any specific regulation on that. Could that be different from different place to place?

sargenv
12-24-2010, 3:35 PM
I don't think there is anything in the regs about a non hunting person going with you.. I used to go with dad before I had a license.. usually I'd be bored to tears until something happened.. They are for the most part bird watching... which is what I do when the birds are flying but in the air and out of range.. you can only watch so many geese/ducks fly overhead on their way to somewhere else.. :D