PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions regarding OLL AK

datapusher
07-22-2006, 9:12 AM
Unless I am mistaken, you can purchase a OLL Ak receiver in Cali. However on ar15.com and calguns I only see people discussing the legality of AR lowers and where to purchase. I have seen no discussion on any AK lowers.

Although building a black rifle in Cali does seem very tempting, for my purposes it appears that building a Cali legal AK would be more cost effective (ammo/components) and access to ranges is greater(local range allows 7.62 not 223).

I guess I am looking to be pointed in the right direction. Where to buy a lower (I am in Hollywood, but am willing to travel). How much they go for. Which are better, quality wise, manufacturer, stamped vs milled) etc. And of course, what makes it legal/illegal. Pistol grip, thumb hole etc. Can I buy a Allen lock like they have for the AR, i.e. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=31115

Anything else I need to know.

Thank you. Also, I re read what I wrote, and it seems to make perfect sense. However if it is confusing to you I apologize. I had surgery this week and am still on pain meds, so if I came off a little loopy in my post, that is why. Thank you for your time.

Mods sorry, this probably needs to be moved to "off list rifle discussion"

leelaw
07-22-2006, 9:31 AM
Unless I am mistaken, you can purchase a OLL Ak receiver in Cali. However on ar15.com and calguns I only see people discussing the legality of AR lowers and where to purchase. I have seen no discussion on any AK lowers.

Have you tried Search yet? Off-list AKs have been thoroughly discussed. Just build yours up in a similar fashion as you do the ARs (either fixed mag, or evil feature-less), use an off-list receiver, and make sure it is at least 30" long (measured with any non permanently-attached muzzle brakes/flash hiders removed, and all stocks folded/collapsed) and you'll be OK.

datapusher
07-22-2006, 9:36 AM
Of course I have tried the search feature. However, AK is under the 3 letter min on forum searches. But as I said, I am on pain management right now, so it would not be a surprise if something obvious escaped my grasp. I swear I'm not usually thise dense, but it's better than being doubled over in pain right? :D

Bishop
07-22-2006, 9:39 AM
Keep in mind that building an AK can require a number of tools (as opposed to the AR which can be pinned together very easily), so if you already have the tools, great; but if not, it can put a dent in your AK budget. :(

You can also see some forums and make friends with local builders who do have the tools.

I'm in the process of gathering the necessary tools... :D

leelaw
07-22-2006, 9:39 AM
Then go here http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=81 and start scrolling anf check out the threads with "AK" in the title.

And check out here, for some more AK info http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=67

Make sure you have it display all threads posted (bottom left of the screen: Display Options; From The: "Beginning")