PDA

View Full Version : Have OLL; still kinda confused (help!)

Gary O
07-22-2006, 7:12 AM
OK; I have obtained an OLL and am rounding up the other parts I need to build a PRK "legal" AR. But I am new at this and am still slightly confused. My local gunshop says that to be legal I need to use a FAB-10 type, permanently blocked off OLL; NOT an OLL modified by me with a kit. In addition, I hear you folks talking about the Kalif DOJ fixing to hand down some type of ruleing that would make all our efforts pointless anyway. Do I understand this right? Will I end up with a piece of contraband after all this hassle? What will happen to all these "legal" AR's that are now out there? What am I not understanding? Thanks for your help and patience....Gary <><:confused:

SemiAutoSam
07-22-2006, 7:35 AM
OK; I have obtained an OLL and am rounding up the other parts I need to build a PRK "legal" AR. But I am new at this and am still slightly confused. My local gunshop says that to be legal I need to use a FAB-10 type, permanently blocked off OLL; NOT an OLL modified by me with a kit. In addition, I hear you folks talking about the Kalif DOJ fixing to hand down some type of ruleing that would make all our efforts pointless anyway. Do I understand this right? Will I end up with a piece of contraband after all this hassle? What will happen to all these "legal" AR's that are now out there? What am I not understanding? Thanks for your help and patience....Gary <><:confused:

Your local gunshop has been reading too many memos show them the law maybe that will educate them, But also maybe not there are some FFL'S out there that think everything that falls from the lips of a DOJ employee is gospel and these same people dont have the ability to read the law. or maybe stying the ability isnt the correct thing they might just not have the desire.

JHC
07-22-2006, 7:41 AM
Most here will tell you to search or read the FAQ and you should do that but here are your answers anyways. Legally you can fix the magazine yourself and do not have to seal the magwell(the Vulcan was DOJ approved and has an open magwell). The DOJ is trying to change the definition of what a permanently attatched magazine is. The local gun shops here are not helpfull at all with these rifles so I wouldn't ask their advice. If the fixed magazine is too grey of an area for you there is always the alternative of using a detachable magazine as long as you lose the pistol grip, collapsing stock, and flash hider, I went the fixed mag route myself

SemiAutoSam
07-22-2006, 7:51 AM
Most here will tell you to search or read the FAQ and you should do that but here are your answers anyways. Legally you can fix the magazine yourself and do not have to seal the magwell(the Vulcan was DOJ approved and has an open magwell). The DOJ is trying to change the definition of what a permanently attatched magazine is. The local gun shops here are not helpfull at all with these rifles so I wouldn't ask their advice. If the fixed magazine is too grey of an area for you there is always the alternative of using a detachable magazine as long as you lose the pistol grip, collapsing stock, and flash hider, I went the fixed mag route myself

Thats odd I didnt get that from the reading of the doj site what I recall was capacity to accept was the term I saw being talked about.

Here is the latest memo this one has a date this fact might or might not be significant as the last two of their recent memos did not have dates or anyones name on them.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/awdefnotice0606.html

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regs/

tenpercentfirearms
07-22-2006, 9:14 AM
The DOJ is attempting to change some of the regulations around that in theory would prohibit firearms from having fixed magazines that could be changed back to detachable magazines and any of the evil features. The problem is that would ban all SKSs in the state irregardles off evil features (that is a lot of banned guns) and it still wouldn't prohibit you from having a detachable magazine as long as you don't have any of the evil features.

Suffice it to say, OLLs will not be contraband anytime soon, despite what the DOJ wants you to believe. Go buy one, shoot it, enjoy it.

Gary O
07-22-2006, 9:57 AM
to you folks and especially Wes. As usual your post was pithy and clear. I am working upan order for you now...
Gary
<><