PDA

View Full Version : Remington 597 VTR Magazine Question...

ohlin5
12-20-2010, 7:48 AM
Just picked up a 597 VTR a couple weeks back and finally went out to shoot it yesterday. When it fires I absolutely love it, but when it doesn't, well you know...

The first 20 rounds went through flawlessly, and other than that it wasn't a total joke, but the one real problem I had was that every 4-5 rounds the next bullet in the magazine wouldn't properly feed up. It would still just be sitting in the magazine.

I'm not a gun expert, but it seemed really wierd because if you just pulled back on the bolt handle and let it go forward it would always feed the next round correctly, and you could continue shooting, so I'm not sure what was stopping it from loading

This is basically my only question, because this is basically the only issue we had. Any ideas on this? I tried 4 different types of ammo and all did it to some extent. Is this a gun related problem or is it just that it is brand new and hasn't really been used? Anything I can try to remedy this situation? Thanks! -ohlin5

bcrich
12-20-2010, 4:20 PM
Sounds like a different mag might do the trick! I have one on lay-away from turners and have read that the mags are main problem.....the newer 3rd gen mags are supposed to feed better, I think the mag has a 3 imprinted on the body of the mag indicating its 3rd gen. I saw them at the last costa mesa show and they were $12 per/mag. Good luck to you and me!!! hope it feeds good.

Cuda440
12-21-2010, 3:48 PM
Yeah, I have a couple 597's and the mags can be an issue. I have gotten mine to be fairly reliable though, by using a dremel to polish the inside of the aluminum body where the follower slides, and slightly streching the spring to make it a bit stiffer. They will still act up when they're dirty, so clean them every time you clean your rifle, and keep a spare mag around to use when the first starts sticking. I can get 200-300 rounds through before a mag will need cleaning.

ohlin5
12-22-2010, 1:15 PM
I'm sorry I should have specified about my previous post. I don't live in CA, I'm actually in NE, and we have mags like that available. That's my fault and I should have said that. Sorry! -ohlin5