PDA

View Full Version : How to/where to get started hunting non game animals?

ssteve
12-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Havent done any dedicated hunting in a few years as I dont have the time/space/place etc for big game and/or the freezer space. However I do still have the itch, and would love to give some non-game animal hunting a try(coyotes, bobcats, grey fox, raccoon etc...) but dont really know how or where to get started. I live in sonoma county(northern bay area) and willing to travel a bit as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

olhunter
12-20-2010, 7:25 AM
Familiarize yourself with this first -

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.asp#478

They're not all non-game.

Bobcats are, but have a tag and season, gray fox is a fur-bearing mammal and has other requirements as well and so do raccoons.

Coyotes are open season.

All require a hunting license.

And make sure you have non-lead if you're in that area. Small game can be hunted with leaded ammo.

Full Clip
12-20-2010, 7:31 AM
And to get a hunting license you need to take/pass Hunter's Education class.

ssteve
12-20-2010, 9:21 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I have had my license and deer hunted with my father since 12(26 now) but since we lost our hunting club to the gap company for land reservation, I havent really done much hunting. I remember coyote hunting in my early teens and it was a blast, I would love to get a couple friends into it and try my hand at it once again.

tony270
12-20-2010, 2:23 PM
Nobody wants to give their secrets spots away. People put a lot of hard work, time, and energy into finding good coyote spots. The best thing to do is find BLM and or National Forest land to hunt. There's a chuck of BLM not far from Lake Sonoma on Skaggs Springs Road. Go to the nearest BLM office and research the maps, learn what the color codes represent on USGS map. They use to have a USGS office in Downtown SF, and a small office in San Mateo that has maps. USGS maps are on line too, but its better when you look at them in person.
You can also take a look at the link below. Use the scroll wheel to zoom into the area that you may be interested in.
http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=LAND

Do you need tips on how to call?

taperxz
12-20-2010, 2:33 PM
Havent done any dedicated hunting in a few years as I dont have the time/space/place etc for big game and/or the freezer space. However I do still have the itch, and would love to give some non-game animal hunting a try(coyotes, bobcats, grey fox, raccoon etc...) but dont really know how or where to get started. I live in sonoma county(northern bay area) and willing to travel a bit as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you are in Sonoma county, there are lots of places to hunt in Lake and Mendo counties. Cow mountain for coyotes would be easy, you need a tag for bobcats and check the season dates, good luck with fox and raccoon without a dog. Fox has specific dates also and some fox can not be killed. Check the regs.

tony270
12-20-2010, 2:53 PM
Yeah, and you can't use electronic calls for fox, only hand calls. Electronic calls are okay only for coyotes, bobcats, American crows and starlings. Also, fox are one of the easiest animals to call in, but for the most part they only come in after dark. Fox will come to just a light being shined around, sometimes no calling is needed. It is illegal to take kit fox. Gray fox can distinguish from kit fox by the black stripe that runs from the gray foxs black tipped tail, all the way up their back. Gray fox tend to require rocky areas verse the kit fox that require a sandy type soil, it digs fox holes.
475. Methods of Take for Nongame Birds and Nongame Mammals.
(b) Recorded or electrically amplified bird or mammal calls or sounds or recorded or electrically amplified imitations of bird or mammal calls or sounds may not be used to take any nongame bird or nongame mammal except coyotes, bobcats, American crows and starlings.

Baxter
12-20-2010, 4:10 PM
Contact Jawbreaker for nice handcalls. The price and quality is right and look for sign and you should be in them.

ssteve
12-20-2010, 9:12 PM
Thanks for all the insight guys, I realize that no one is going to just blab out where their favorite spots are located, but you guys have given me a great starting place. If theres the prospects of doing some coyote hunting at cow mountain then I will for sure be all over that... And better yet it will give me a better idea of what direction I should take my AR build I have been procrastinating on.

ssteve
12-20-2010, 9:57 PM
There's a chuck of BLM not far from Lake Sonoma on Skaggs Springs Road.

is this the spot your talking about?

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i45/ssleevin/Screenshot2010-12-20at105305PM.png

tony270
12-21-2010, 8:00 AM
Yeah, that’s the spot. And remember crossing or jumping corners constitutes trespassing, but if it’s not posted you may not know where you are. There’s another spot on Pope Canyon Road Napa County, Cedar Roughs. If you need more information on that area PM me, also, you can cross BLR land to get to BLM land, no shooting or loaded weapons on BLR land.

ssteve
12-21-2010, 9:33 AM
Sweet, thanks for the help!