View Full Version : Legal Loophole with California Bushmaster?

07-21-2006, 5:14 PM
Question - If I buy the California Bushmaster (Carbon-15), remove the flash-supressor, pistol grip, and collapsable stock, can I legally cut the magazine well out (so I can stick in a 10 round mag)? And then I fix the 10 round mag, and put back all the evil features? Is this legal? The assault weapons ban is against make&model. The make is a bushmaster, but the model is an off-list one (Carbon-15). So, technically I have an off-list receiver that I purchased legally from the start. Right? Also, please help me answer the legality of this question and not go off topic how a magazine won't fit even though you are able to cut off the magazine well (cause bushmaster does mention everything is left in-tact and the only thing added was the magazine well).

07-21-2006, 5:21 PM
I don't see an issue here.

I dunno why you wanna go to all that trouble though (esp if there are reinforcment issues? dunno) when you can just buy a new lower.

07-21-2006, 5:23 PM
Yes you can legally do that. Be aware though that if you do this you won't have the added security of the letter of approval. You could also buy a regular carbon 15 lower, swap all the parts over and save yourself from having to cut up the one you have and lose the approval.

07-21-2006, 5:29 PM
+1, just spend the extra $200 and get a new lower. The CA legal carbon 15 and the 49 state legal lower are the same make and model.

07-21-2006, 7:06 PM
IMHO that would be a tremendous waste of money (and effort), and your CA Bushmasters warranty will be toast! What you have is a complete factory constructed rifle from Bushmaster w/ the Bushmaster warranty. If it means that much to you, get the off-list lower of the carbon-15 and keep it in the safe until you want to legally assemble it. Stay safe, stay legal!

07-21-2006, 9:21 PM
that is a ridiculous waste of money, no offense. you can accomplish what you want with pre assembled uppers and stripped lowers for a lot less money than a carbon 15

07-21-2006, 9:27 PM
If you post this question a few more times here in a few more forums, maybe you'll get an answer that you'll like?

07-21-2006, 11:51 PM
Just go to www.coldwarshooters.com and buy a stripped CARBON-15 lower then pin a mag into it. Keep your riveted CA Legal lower for use at public ranges and other places where you don't want to be nagged about having a pinned mag rifle.

07-22-2006, 12:13 AM

Are you having troubles figuring out where to post this question?

07-22-2006, 7:04 AM

You could make a better choice. Want proof?