PDA

View Full Version : Fire Protection Really Needed?

insin
07-21-2006, 12:41 PM
I have my concerns about whether a gun safe designed to withstand fire for 30 minutes is really needed. How many of times in the average persons lifetime does a fire completely destroy Their residence? And even if it did, most people that are reasonable should have some sort of fire insurance.

Now im sure there is always the arguement that fires could happen to anyone. However if my house did burn down, my Rifles would be the last thing on my mind.

What do you think?

Shane916
07-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Some items such as registered AW's and other firearms are priceless and can't be replaced. Many people keep important documents, and jewlery as well as family photo's etc. in their safes. So any fire resistance is better then none :)

SemiAutoSam
07-21-2006, 1:22 PM
I have my concerns about whether a gun safe designed to withstand fire for 30 minutes is really needed. How many of times in the average persons lifetime does a fire completely destroy Their residence? And even if it did, most people that are reasonable should have some sort of fire insurance.

Now im sure there is always the arguement that fires could happen to anyone. However if my house did burn down, my Rifles would be the last thing on my mind.

What do you think?

That depends on where you live if you live in hawaii and also in the path of a lava flow I would say the chances are very good that within your lifetime your home will be destroyed by fire and your safe could be picked up and taken to the sea before you ever see it again. I knew a woman this happened to.

Not that she had firearms but there wasnt an ember left to sift through like there is here when a fire destroys a home.

I would say it depends alot on your situation. I went through a ordeal in 01 a forest fire came within 50 feet of our home and we were evacuated for 3 days but having 20,000 gallons of water made our home a staging area for CDF and they also filled their fire trucks and "water tenders" from our tank.

SO as they say if you have defendable space or something like that and a water source your property will be alot easier for the firefighters to defend.

moulton
07-21-2006, 3:09 PM
I just saw a good gunsafe at costco, it had a waranty on it saying if it was burglurized, flooded, in a fire, etc. they would repair or give you a new safe for free;)

SemiAutoSam
07-21-2006, 3:11 PM
I just saw a good gunsafe at costco, it had a waranty on it saying if it was burglurized, flooded, in a fire, etc. they would repair or give you a new safe for free;)

A new safe won't do your damaged guns a bit of good now will it?

Diabolus
07-22-2006, 7:23 PM
Owning a fireproof safe is also a tax write-off.

hitnrun
07-22-2006, 8:40 PM
However if my house did burn down, my Rifles would be the last thing on my mind.

What do you think?

True that, but I also store important documents in there too. Granted, I would be devastated to lose my home to a fire, but with my fire resistant safe, it might not be a total loss. Why should it have to be? I have a lot of sentimental firearms in there and would hate to lose them if it could be easily prevented by something like a fire resistant safe. It seems like a no brainer to me.:confused:

Harbinger
07-22-2006, 9:07 PM

CANNON Safes. They're the only safe company with a warranty that good.

Costco has FANTASTIC deals on thier safes, but if you need a specialized model at clearance prices, check U.S. Safes. They are a clearing house for 'blemished' CANNON safes, and advertize on Ebay.

They are located in California, so the shipping isn't too bad.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=gotsafes&iid=300004390704

US Safe Co
41658 Ivy Street
Murrieta, CA 92562-9428
Phone: (951) 461-6994

insin
07-23-2006, 12:59 AM
Costco has FANTASTIC deals on thier safes

Do they currently have a model in their store locations, or are you refering to their website?

50ae
07-23-2006, 2:37 AM
I would also think that with the extra insullation a fire rated safe has that it would be easier to keep the inside warm with the Golden Rod than a non-fire rated safe and would be therefore easier to control the humidity and consequently rust.

moulton
07-23-2006, 8:52 AM
A new safe won't do your damaged guns a bit of good now will it?

it was rated for 30 minutes at 1200 degrees:D

Satex
07-23-2006, 6:59 PM
I have been looking for a gun/fire safe too. I would only consider a fire safe because we have other non-gun stuff - and I don't want to purchase two safes.
Don't forget that if you do purchase a fire safe and keep other stuff in it, its probably not very smart to keep ammo in the safe. A fire safe only keeps the inside temperature below the flash point of paper - I think its around 350F. I wouldn't want ammo to go off inside destroying my other stuff!