PDA

View Full Version : 3 CA legal Semi Autos

Auto-5
07-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Just wanted to share my OLL build. These 3 rifles all have detachable magazines and no evil features.
- LRB M14SA with neutered GI flash hider
- Benelli R1 with Nikon Monarch
- M16 SA clone with horizontal grip and CavArms Cav Comp, a BATF approved compensator
I made the grip by cutting an A2 grip and reattaching the grip in a horizontal position.
The grip is mounted from the inside of the receiver. A 10-32 cap bolt threads into an insert in the grip. It cannot be removed without removing the fire control parts.
From a legal perspective these rifles are identical. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-7/1200460/resized3CAlegalsemiautos.jpg

leelaw
07-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Is that a flash hider on your M16 clone?

EDIT: I read again - compensator that just happens to look like a FH.

Kevlarman
07-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Care to give us details on that modded pistol grip?

anotherone
07-21-2006, 12:55 PM
Care to give us details on that modded pistol grip?

With the Monsterman Grip and similar horizontal designs beginning to gain popularity I wouldn't be surprised to see the DOJ address them after they're done with fixed mags in August.

Cool design though, I'd certainly appreciate a "How To" on that design. I like how the rifle needs to be taken apart to remove the grip, adds a bit of extra safety.

Auto-5
07-21-2006, 1:19 PM
The grip was fairly simple to make. I made the first cut parallel to the plastic section inside the grip (where the bolt passes through). The second cut determines the mounting angle of the remaining piece. I wanted to completely avoid any "conspicuous protruding" so I went for horizontal

I roughened and made flat the cuts and glued with super glue. I then molded the web that keeps it from being a thumbhole with JB weld putty. I reinforced the joint with epoxy inside the grip and mounted the insert.

Inside the receiver I counterbored the grip screw hole to accept the cap from the cap screw. The threads remain for the most part so a standard grip could be mounted when legal.

After a some filling and sanding I painted with Aluma-hyde from Brownells.
Here's a closer view.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-7/1200460/resizedAR15Horizontalgrip.jpg

NRAhighpowershooter
07-21-2006, 3:30 PM
You need to get a muzzle brake on that LRB so it doesn't look so bubba'd up...

C.G.
07-21-2006, 3:40 PM
The grip was fairly simple to make. I made the first cut parallel to the plastic section inside the grip (where the bolt passes through). The second cut determines the mounting angle of the remaining piece. I wanted to completely avoid any "conspicuous protruding" so I went for horizontal

I roughened and made flat the cuts and glued with super glue. I then molded the web that keeps it from being a thumbhole with JB weld putty. I reinforced the joint with epoxy inside the grip and mounted the insert.

Inside the receiver I counterbored the grip screw hole to accept the cap from the cap screw. The threads remain for the most part so a standard grip could be mounted when legal.

After a some filling and sanding I painted with Aluma-hyde from Brownells.
Here's a closer view.

Very nice!:)

newtothis
07-21-2006, 6:19 PM
I'd like to try this one as well, it's very nice. BUT, are we sure it conforms w/ the whole "pistol grip" definition. I guess it's not "protruding" but there is no doubt that it is a pistol grip.

Auto-5
07-21-2006, 6:51 PM
Once a pistol grip always a pistol grip? I think a pistol grip is defined by how it is held. The thumb wrapping around is key and the thumb cannot do that here.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-7/1200460/resizedRighthandgrip.jpg

newtothis
07-21-2006, 6:58 PM
Sounds good to me. Now all we need is a good thumb rest. Others here at Calguns are suggesting a take-down pin in place of the safety switch. How about a "thumb rest knob" built off the modified pg to improve ergonomics? The more I look at it the more it seems to be a variation of the MONSTER GRIP.

MonsterMan
07-21-2006, 7:14 PM
My grip is a little longer (to keep the index finger from being able to reach the trigger if tried to be held like a PG, for those with really long fingers). Also mine comes down about 1/2 to 3/4" more in angle to give the shooter more leverage to pull the rifle into the shoulder for a more firm hold on the rifle. I found that if it was to straight back, I had nothing to pull against. Some people are going with the "oar stock" because mine wasn't angled enough. I had to weigh my options, so I split the difference. I also tried to keep it very similar in angle to the doj approved "tumor grip". If someone wanted a grip like mine that was a little less "protruding" they could always dremel it into what ever shape they wanted. It would still be one peice of plastic and not a piece together by glue grip. Also you wouldn't have to modify your reciever. As far as the thumbrest goes, the safety is the best way to go. Some like the extended pin, I feel it gets in the way of reaching your safety quickly. If one were to build a rest onto the grip, it would then get in the way of your safety and you would not be able to have a ambi-safety.

All in all it is very similar to mine, minor differences. Good job. I am sure people will try to make some themselves.

MonsterMan

Ryan HBC
07-21-2006, 10:08 PM
The grip was fairly simple to make.
Compared to what??

But there is no doubt that it is a pistol grip.
That is hilarious. I could see some dumb lawyer saying something like "Did you attach a pistol grip to your rifle, yes or no? JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION DAMMIT!"

Great grip design by the way. I also love the vintage A1 style with the triangle handgaurds, makes me want to kill some Vietcong. That may be the next build. Nice rifles.

newtothis
07-21-2006, 10:53 PM
My thoughts exactly.

SFV_Dealer
07-22-2006, 5:55 AM
How creative Californians can be amazes me every day !
Good job!

Auto-5
07-24-2006, 12:42 PM
SFV dealer, you transfered this receiver for me many moons ago. In fact so long ago you were still a little nervous about the whole OLL thing. Who knew a few moons latter you would have a table to sell and transfer at the fun shows! Thank you!
For those who wonder about how solid this grip is. It really depends on the care you use to make it. I made a good joint and reinforced it inside and out. I'm confident it will hold up to anything I'll use it for. If the lower part were to break off, the upper pie ce is held in place by the cap screw along with the safety detent. The rifle will remain functional (for shtf or other dire situations).
As far as the angle goes the its completely up to the maker. By adjusting the angle of the cut in the lower piece any grip angle desired can be achieved.
I find this grip to be very handy. I use the bump behind the middle finger and the checkering to get a good grasp on the grip. A little more angle would make the rear bump another good point of contact and I started building one like that but decided to avoid protruding any more than neccesary for function or aesthetics .
I think this is the direction the AG is sending us and I am happy to comply. Much better than getting into a debate about fixed magazines and fewer storage and transportation issuesthan AWs.
Sure this could be converted to an AW by adding a pistol grip but that is certainly not my intention. Its just great this way. In fact it would be easier to convert an M1A or a Ruger mini 14/30 and others than to change this grip.
Like the man who started painting the floor without any forethought the AG has found a corner with his recent pronouncements. The only way out, run for a different office.

Toolbox X
07-24-2006, 5:20 PM
The pictures aren't working. Can you host them somewhere else?
I use www.photobucket.com. They are great.

Auto-5
07-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Photos fixed.:) Fileden site seems to be down.

DrjonesUSA
07-26-2006, 12:30 PM
How creative Californians can be amazes me every day !
Good job!

I agree!!

I also agree that you need to get a nice compensator on that M1A...I honestly like the looks of the standard Springfield ones.

Also: What kind of upper is that on your M16 clone?