PDA

View Full Version : Wireless password

JAGGUY
12-19-2010, 5:33 PM
So my neighbor tells me he doesn't remember the password for his wireless home network and asks me if there a way to find it on his computer.
I'm sure it is located somewhere on the machine but I couldn't find where it is.
He has a laptop he would like to add to the network but is stuck until the PW is figured out.
Any help on how to find this would be appreciated.
Thanks- greg

Noobert
12-19-2010, 5:34 PM
Log on to the router?

meaty-btz
12-19-2010, 5:39 PM
it will be obfuscated even on the router. Depending on the encryption used, there is certainly a way to get the passode. These are not normal run of the day tools, and aquiring them may be interesting.

Log into router, reset wi-fi passcode to something new. If he does not know the PW for the Router, reset router to factory settings, reconfigure. Eat Cake.

PayThePrice
12-19-2010, 5:45 PM
Normally there is a password to get into the router, which does have a default, if he did not change it. Log into the router, google the router, and go into the wireless security tab and it should be there. I have a Linksys and thats how mine works.

WTSGDYBBR
12-19-2010, 5:54 PM
You can log in to his router and change his password. If you do not know his password to his home router you can reset it by the reset button on the back of the router. Then you would have to reset up his wireless connection . If you want to have fun you can crack his wep key or brute his wpa key. Depends how you want to go about it. If you want to mess with it by cracking it you will need to search the net for BackTrack and have a wireless card that can be put into monitor mode. If you do decide to crack it and he has mac address filtering on you can use SMAC to spoof his mac address with a valid wpa or wep key to gain access to the network.

sevensix2x51
12-19-2010, 6:02 PM
id just hit the reset button on the router, and google the make and model of the router for the default password. then set the wireless up again. have him write the new password down. :shrug:

Rivers
12-19-2010, 6:31 PM
If he uses a Mac to go wireless, the answer is Yes, using the built-in utility Keychain Access. I posted the how-to in this forum about a month ago. If not a Mac, reset the wireless access if possible, at worst reconfigure the router as mentioned above.

JAGGUY
12-21-2010, 8:19 AM
Thanks guys, when I can get together with the neighbor we'll see if we can put some of this info to work.
-greg

Coded-Dude
12-21-2010, 8:24 AM
yep most routers have a "reset" button that clears to factory default settings(including password), he'll just have to setup all his network settings again. If the residence is secure(he trusts those in his home), I would recommend taping the pw to the bottom of the router so it can be referenced later when he forgets it again.....

Cbr1000Rider
12-21-2010, 8:33 AM
Yes just have him restore the router. He can call the company that makes the router to step him through the process.

Just be sure to tell him to name his new wireless network to one of the following..

"FBI Surveillance Van #12"
"Child Protective Services Van #12"
"IRS Investigations Van #17"
"Unemployment Benefits Investigations Van #14"

..because his neighbors will think that is funny as shyt.

JAGGUY
12-21-2010, 9:00 AM
Yes just have him restore the router. He can call the company that makes the router to step him through the process.

Just be sure to tell him to name his new wireless network to one of the following..

"FBI Surveillance Van #12"
"Child Protective Services Van #12"
"IRS Investigations Van #17"
"Unemployment Benefits Investigations Van #14"

..because his neighbors will think that is funny as shyt.

Damn! I never thought of doing that, that's funny.
I need to do that

atto
12-21-2010, 10:10 AM
*cracks knuckles*

Install and run Cain and Able (site (http://www.oxid.it/cain.html)) on his computer. Use the "Wireless Zero Configuration Password Dumper". It finds saved wireless passwords on the machine and shows them to you in plain text (if he used a WEP key). A WPA key has to be cracked... so if that's the case, then you are better of resetting like others suggested.

This feature enables the recovery of wireless keys stored by Windows's Wireless Zero Configuration Service.

http://www.oxid.it/ca_um/images/wzcpd.jpg

WEP keys are automatically decoded. WPA-PSK keys are displayed in their hexadecimal format because of the usage of the SHA1 one-way hashing function.
Usage

Wireless Zero Configuration Password Dumper dialog can be activated from the main menu under "Tools" or pressing the relative toolbar button.

JDay
12-24-2010, 7:45 PM
it will be obfuscated even on the router.

Only until you click the little check box next to it that reveals the password.