PDA

View Full Version : Changing my 91/30

1970msp
12-19-2010, 2:29 PM
I am thinking about changing my 91/30 to a M44 configuration.If I shorten the barrel and add the M44 bayonet assembly,would this be hard to do?Thanks for any help with info how to do this.

hybridatsun350
12-19-2010, 2:39 PM
Bypassing the whole "cutting up a surplus rifle" thing, why would you want to spend more money to try and turn your rifle into something it's not than it would cost to just buy an M44?

The bayonet is not the only difference. The barrel's don't have the same contour, the rear site is completely different and you've have to get an M44 stock. Just go buy yourself an M44. It will save you time and money.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-19-2010, 2:51 PM
Like hybridatsun350 suggests, it will be much easier and cheaper to just buy an M44 and sell your M91/30. That's just on a common sense/math/economics level and not even considering the historical aspects.

dogolden
12-19-2010, 6:35 PM
Yeah - what they said. If you HAVE TO HAVE a m44 drop me a line.

As a general rule I am of the opinion that once you buy a firearm it is yours to do with as you please. But I also caution folks to NOT make adjustments to the milsurp rifle or make even temporary alterations to them. Most of us have the best of intentions with their projects but seldom have the know how, time, or experience to pull something off.

ALL of my deer rifles are built on former/ex military Mausers - but I picked them out because they were already sporterzied by someone else (zero guilt on my end I assure you).

Take a pass on converting your MN into something it isn't. I think this project will take more of your time and money - than anything else.

steve91104
12-19-2010, 7:11 PM
Florida Gun Works has M44's for $119:

http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FG&Product_Code=207&Category_Code=CR+R

IronCobra
12-19-2010, 8:05 PM
M44's shouldn't be to hard to find at a good gun show. Usually you should be able to pick one up for $150 or less OTD.

Last show I went 2 had some really nice hungarian's with perfect bores for about 130.
Picked one up myself. I must say that the fit and finish on those guns are much better than any of the russian M44's I have.

Suggestion: try to pick up a nice Romanian, Polish or Hungarian M44 from a gun show. You'll be much happier.

Anchors
12-19-2010, 8:26 PM
Florida Gun Works has M44's for $119:

http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FG&Product_Code=207&Category_Code=CR+R

Wow that is a great deal compared to what M44s go for on here.

Sending C&R to FL gun works...

I don't get how everything else on their website is pretty overpriced, but the M44s are $119.

mosinnagantm9130
12-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Suggestion: try to pick up a nice Romanian, Polish or Hungarian M44 from a gun show. You'll be much happier.

For every mint condition (and much more expensive) eastern European M44, there are ten of them that are beat to hell. That seems to be the trend with the East Euro ones.

Save yourself some cash, and buy a post-war Soviet M44. They can be found in mint condition as well, for much cheaper than a minty East Euro M44. The post-war soviets fit and finish is much, much better than wartime M44's.

1970msp
12-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Thank you for the helpful advise/info.I am going to keep my 91/30 in it's intended original condition.I am going to wait and purchase a M44 when I have the funds. Thank you again sincerely,to all posters.

crackerman
12-20-2010, 3:43 PM
For every mint condition (and much more expensive) eastern European M44, there are ten of them that are beat to hell. That seems to be the trend with the East Euro ones.

Save yourself some cash, and buy a post-war Soviet M44.

Suggestions for where to buy, I am looking to pick one up after the new year.
Like the mosin, but a M$$ seems like it would make a great truck gun.