PDA

View Full Version : Is a SAR-8 legal?

rocknut
07-20-2006, 8:26 PM
I found a SAR-8 for sale on another board. When I read the roberti roos list, they list the SAR-48 but no SAR-8. Is one or the other a typo, or can I buy this rifle and convert it to evil-featureless? Thanks.

rocknut
07-20-2006, 8:37 PM
Supposedly the SAR-48 is a FAL design and the SAR-8 is a HK91 design. It appears legal to me.

Hunter
07-20-2006, 8:44 PM
I found a SAR-8 for sale on another board. When I read the roberti roos list, they list the SAR-48 but no SAR-8. Is one or the other a typo, or can I buy this rifle and convert it to evil-featureless? Thanks.

Legal since it is not listed if in the "proper configuration". However, there were various models imported that were all marked SAR-8. I'm not sure if the last ones had any USA parts in them or not, someone else can chime in on that. (I think the last ones where junk compared to the earlier ones)

Regardless, you will need to be carefull of the "less than 10 imported" parts in order to convert from the thumbhole "sporter" configuration. Some of the original SAR-8 that were in before 11-1990 could have been converted back to the standard config and be grandfathered in. So you may fiind some of those out there. Also the SAR-3, FMP or HK-911 are others to look for. All were pre 11-1990 guns and not listed.

Hunter
07-20-2006, 9:19 PM
Here is an ad for the FMP xG3S. Has some good pics of what they looked like.
http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/semi4sale.cgi?read=134501

FMP XG3S
Factory built Stamped 5/89, Green Furniture Wide forearm, Heavy G3
2-stage buffer & HK21 rubber butt make this a mild shooter, factory
sling, and TachLatch, Just Refinished in Duracoat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/MGSwifter/ForSale/g3_1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/MGSwifter/ForSale/g3_2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/MGSwifter/ForSale/g3_3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/MGSwifter/ForSale/g3_4.jpg

rocknut
07-20-2006, 9:23 PM
This is one of the early stamped receiver sar-8s. Never fired! Honestly what I'd like to do is find another butthole stock and fill in the center. I'd leave the original as is... seems like a somewhat rare early rifle. From what I read its made in Greece on license with HK. Thats as close to a HK91 as we are going to get in Kali.

Hunter
07-20-2006, 9:41 PM
This is one of the early stamped receiver sar-8s. Never fired! Honestly what I'd like to do is find another butthole stock and fill in the center. I'd leave the original as is... seems like a somewhat rare early rifle. From what I read its made in Greece on license with HK. Thats as close to a HK91 as we are going to get in Kali.

Sounds like a winner. Can you tell if the "8" in SAR-8 is an overstamp of a 3? If so, it would have been in spring of '89.

The only one that is better is the HK-911, as that is a TRUE HK-91. And the VERY last HK-91 imported into the states. Only the SR-9s came later. If you don't know the story, the last shipment of HK-91s that came into the states was caught in limbo between the ATF, HK-USA and the new "sporting rifle" requirements of USC 922(r). Since the guns were actually in the USA, the ATF allowed HK-USA to add an extra "1" to the receivers (HK-911), stick on a Bell&Carlson Thumbhole stock and then screw on a barrel cover in place of the flash hider to become the HK-911. Some say 140 made it in, others said it was less than 100. Some of these are still in that config, others where converted to "sporting" configuration using the PSG-1 trigger groups, PSG-1 stock or MSG-90 stock and PSG1 PG. This was after the SR-9T and SR-9TC were approved in that configuration. And of course others where simply converted back to std HK-91 configuration.

xenophobe
07-20-2006, 9:49 PM
Yes, the SAR-8 is licensed HK made in Greece, imported by Springfield Armory. Not particularly rare. The FMP is also a licensed HK (JLD in the USA now owns the FMP machines).

The XG3S was in the same import hold as the Mitchell Arms Yugoslavian AKs and the HK-91s. The FMP G3S had the X overstamp, the SAR-3 had the 8 overstamp, the Yugo AK-47's had the "AK-47" pen etched off and were pen etched "M70", Galils with the "S" Sporter overstamp, and the HK-91's had the extra 1 added.

These are pre-11/90 rifles and can be modified back to original configuration without the need of 922r compliance parts.

Hunter
07-20-2006, 10:04 PM
These are pre-11/91 rifles and can be modified back to original configuration without the need of 922r compliance parts.

Typo, that would be pre 11/90.

rocknut
07-20-2006, 10:33 PM
I don't have the rifle yet, just buying it. I don't know if its the overstamped sar-3, but i do know that it is a stamped receiver made in greece. It sounds like it got caught in the same limbo as the rest of them. We'll see, I'm holding my breath until my "I'll take it" gets confirmed.

Thanks for the interesting background. I'd heard parts of it but not all. I'll have to post back more info on it if all goes well.

rocknut
07-20-2006, 10:36 PM
BTW, are the Bell & Carlson thumbhole stocks still available?

rocknut
07-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Ah, just heard back. Its mine. How does $875 shipped sound with a few extras?

Hunter
07-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Ah, just heard back. Its mine. How does $875 shipped sound with a few extras?

Good buy. Did you get the original green box with it?

Hunter
07-21-2006, 11:39 AM
BTW, are the Bell & Carlson thumbhole stocks still available?

They should be. Also keep a lookout on the various for sale boards. You will find them in the $10-$20 range there. New ones are a lot more. Heck I believe someone on CALGUNS was selling a used one just a month ago. Maybe they will pipe in if it is still available. I think using the thumbhole stock with the hole filled in is the best way to legalize the rifle. You will still need to remove the flashhider if it is one of the earlier guns. The later guns had a so called muzzle break on them (weld tacked I believe). At that time they where just trying to seal the threads from being used.

xenophobe
07-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Typo, that would be pre 11/90.

Correct... where was my mind... lol

VeryCoolCat
07-21-2006, 12:07 PM
If you pin the mag on an HK91 how do you load it?

Frankly, I would rather cut off the pistol grip than load a round one by one through the ejection port.

SemiAutoSam
07-21-2006, 12:09 PM

Did you mean a thumbhole stock or did you really mean to say BUTTHOLE STOCK ?

rocknut
07-21-2006, 12:55 PM
Did you mean a thumbhole stock or did you really mean to say BUTTHOLE STOCK ?

I'm sorry, it was late...

I've got a couple different HK projects. Filling in the BUTTHOLE stock with no FH is my first option, pinning the mag is second. I understand its a pita but possible to load through the ejection port.

Yes it does come in the original box.