PDA

View Full Version : Smartphone Carrier?

dandechino
12-18-2010, 6:08 PM
I'm thinking about upgrading soon for one of them new fangled computers posing as phones. What carrier/phone do you have and would you recommend it? Also, what would be a cheap(er) way to go?

freonr22
12-18-2010, 6:28 PM
imho, verizon has great coverage, ymmv, what parts of california are you in? also heard in Feb, newer phones coming out if you can hold off

den888
12-18-2010, 6:54 PM
T Mobile, the best prices and the best customer service. Coverage is not as good as Verizon or AT&T.

RudyN
12-18-2010, 8:25 PM
Go with Verizon, as the coverage is the best as far as I am concerned. I had AT&T at one time and the coverage was horrible. If you can, get a Droid X as they are great. I have had one for a bit over a month and really like the way it works. In addition there are all kinds of apps you can get for tem.

6114DAVE
12-19-2010, 8:59 PM
Sprint....get the Evo 4g...I always have great signal and my evo is crazy fast

maurice05
12-20-2010, 5:07 PM
I have an evo too,no service issues great customer service

hollowpoint
12-21-2010, 8:10 PM
I have an Iphone 4 - personal phone - AT&T

&

Droid 2 - work phone - verizon.

I prefer my iphone along with AT&T to my droid with Verizon.

The interface, system and ease of use sells me on my iphone.

The proccesor's & speed are comparable on both.

Verizon's network has more coverage.

You really can't go wrong with either phone but for me I am partial to the iPhone.

dandechino
12-21-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm leaning toward the iphone myself. I hope the rumors are true and that by the time my current contract is up in 2011, I'll have the option of a verizon iphone.

Ricky-Ray
12-22-2010, 12:29 AM
All depends on what you want to use the phone for. If your looking for something mainly for email you can't go wrong with blackberry. If you looking for something more multimedia can't go wrong with the "Droid" type phones. Overall their are alot of really great smartphones out there, you just have to see what is best for you.

I've been with T-Mobile a little over 8 years now and have been using their blackberry service for about 6 out of those 8 years and have been very happy with their service. Coverage is not as great as Verizon or AT&T but I know where those "dead" spots are and I'm ok with it. One of the main reason's I refuse to leave is that I've been pretty happy with their service and customer service overall and for the fact that since I've been a customer of them for so long I'm on some pretty old rate plans that they don't offer anymore and if I was to get something equivalent to what I have currently on another carrier I'd be spending almost $100 bucks more a month.

Serpentine
12-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Go with Verizon, as the coverage is the best as far as I am concerned. I had AT&T at one time and the coverage was horrible. If you can, get a Droid X as they are great. I have had one for a bit over a month and really like the way it works. In addition there are all kinds of apps you can get for tem.

+1

Motorola Droid X on Verizon. Advantage over the Iphone4 - you can carry and change out extra pre-charged batteries, larger screen, long battery life, solid fast performance on 3G.

$99 at Costco and you get an extra year of manufacture warranty (2 years altogether) when buying through Costco.

dwtt
12-29-2010, 7:18 PM
Can the iphone or droid be unlocked and used overseas? Let's say someone has a chance to take a contract overseas in north Africa and the system is 3G, would phone still work? Just wondering.

thefifthspeed
12-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Can the iphone or droid be unlocked and used overseas? Let's say someone has a chance to take a contract overseas in north Africa and the system is 3G, would phone still work? Just wondering.

The iphone can be unlocked to work with another GSM carrrier.

Which droid are you talking about?

Spearo
12-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Love my Evo 4G.

Only gripe I have is the short battery life. There are larger batteries for sale, but they really bulk up the phone, and the result is a limited choice on protective covers.

Got the Seidio Rugged cover on it now. Very nice cover. Protects all ports and the camera too.

FreedomIsNotFree
12-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Verizon has an exciting lineup for 2011. 4G LTE phones and tablets will be announced January 6th at CES. And you can expect an announcement from VZW/Apple fairly soon.

DirtNapKing
12-30-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm on VZ with the first Moto Droid just waiting for 4G Motos to come out before I make my next move. This soft opening on 4G is annoying however. They should of had this wrapped up ages ago.

maurice05
12-30-2010, 1:46 PM
Just like Sprint, Verizone is subject to inspection thru local building inspection, speaking only from my point of view from sprint they were failing to follow current electrical code and 4g upgrades werent passing Vz is having some of the same issues with passing inspections

JDay
12-30-2010, 2:13 PM
Go with Verizon, their LTE network is already active in LA so you may already be covered and their LTE phones are coming out next month.

EfXX89rVc-Q

ETA: The prices in the video are higher than when you pay with a phone package.

This test has much better speeds.

jkXcgQRCq58

Papa "J"
01-02-2011, 7:08 AM
Well I stopped service with ATT because my Iphone was very slow, dropping calls, ect. Maybe because it was just the 3G and over 2 years old. I would clear it out as much as possible and that didn't seem to help much.

I went wiht Sprint and got the EVO 1st and foremost the $$$ savings. I was paying $129 for unlimited usage and with a business plan it's only $89 with sprint. Also I like and will try out the hotspot feature for my laptop which in $29 per month, over my cricket broadband card of $45. Mainly need it for credit card processing anyway. So saving $55 per month savings

Can anyone make any recommendations on features of the phone. Still got a big learning curve on using it.

Anyone else using the EVO over the Iphone and what do you think? I have 30 days to try it out.