PDA

View Full Version : gunsmith los angeles (870 rail)

Ironballs
07-20-2006, 12:11 PM
For my 870, i want to put a rail (drill/tap +maybe silversolder/weld) on top of the receiver, and figure local is the way to go (so not worth shipping for this)...

any ideas (sure hogue & tanaka come to mind) but thats pistol work, gotta be a be a rifle/shotty guy out here (unless yall think i should call the above?)

rorschach
07-21-2006, 7:27 PM
Bain and Davis in San Gabriel are more than capable of this. Although better know for their 1911 work, Kings in Glendale could do this as well. These are the only two I have experience with in the LA area, I am sure there are more.

monkey
07-23-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm going to put a recco in for Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminster. it's a bit of a drive down the 405, but they are great for shotgun and rifle work. They drilled and tapped my Benelli for an MMC ghost ring rear and the work was great.

Kings in Glendale is also good, but they are decidedly pistol-oriented too.

CamW
07-31-2006, 8:32 AM
Try Dave's Metal Works in Covina.He makes a Picatinny rail for Remington's and Bennelli's.Dave does excellent work and is a good guy to do business with.
Dave's Metal Works 626-859-0299

Ironballs
08-22-2006, 1:45 PM
I have not done it yet... i was of riding the fence for a few reasons...

I wanted a low mount, and the rails i have seen mounted (unknown name mostly, some custom) were fairly elevated...

Plus i was/am waiting for the new Bushnell Holosight 53-0027 that comes with an 870/100/11-87 mount, which looks really trick...
http://bushnell.com/products/riflescopes/specs/53-0027.cfm
(the nagitive of this rig however, is no side saddles that use the same mounting/trigger pins). This remains an option, but...

But i have narrowed it down to either a $10 weaver aluminum rail at Cabellas
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0039481712626a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=weaver&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=weaver&noImage=0

Or the $100 Parkerized hardened steel rail from Badger Ordnance
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=826033

Leaning towards the Parkerized Steel for my vintage 870Police. Even though i love how lightweight she already is, she is all steel and parked, so this seems like the best match for her...

any thoughts? what if any downsides would their be to the aluminum rail?

mdhpper
08-22-2006, 2:05 PM
I'm going to put a recco in for Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminster. it's a bit of a drive down the 405, but they are great for shotgun and rifle work. They drilled and tapped my Benelli for an MMC ghost ring rear and the work was great.

Kings in Glendale is also good, but they are decidedly pistol-oriented too.

1+ on Bolsa Gunsmithing. Excellent work & nice people to deal with.

Mesa Tactical
08-23-2006, 1:41 PM
any thoughts? what if any downsides would their be to the aluminum rail?

We make aluminum rails (not for 870s), and I can't think of any significant downsides.

Those steel Badger rails are cool for people (like me) who just like steel, but I can't see any practical advantage of the steel for a civilian gun aside from the fact you can weld it or solder it onto the receiver if desired.

Maybe for an armory weapon steel makes a little more sense. Police abuse the hell out of their shotguns, unlike civilians, who tend to baby their firearms. A civilian would be hard pressed to ever notice the difference in robustness between a steel and an aluminum rail.

We'll probably be making 870 rails in the near future. They will be aluminum.

Ironballs
08-23-2006, 2:39 PM
Thanks for the input...

We'll probably be making 870 rails in the near future.

Judging from the quality of the sidesaddles you make, i expect your rail to be top notch...