PDA

View Full Version : Living with a felon?

gose
07-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Just out of curiosity...

If the person you happen to marry turns out to be a convicted felon, can you still store your guns in the household (assuming that the other person has no access to them) or are you SOL?
If you honestly didn't know, can you still get in trouble?

What about other 'issues' like DUIs or mental problems that would prevent them from buying/owning firearms for a limited time?

kantstudien
07-20-2006, 12:39 PM
SOL. If you live in a household where someone is legally prohibited from owning firearms, then firearms may not be stored there. Use public storage or a safety deposit box where the ineligible person has no access.

xenophobe
07-20-2006, 1:01 PM
Just out of curiosity...

If the person you happen to marry turns out to be a convicted felon, can you still store your guns in the household (assuming that the other person has no access to them) or are you SOL?
If you honestly didn't know, can you still get in trouble?

What about other 'issues' like DUIs or mental problems that would prevent them from buying/owning firearms for a limited time?

You can't get into trouble. The convicted felon will.

bwiese
07-20-2006, 1:37 PM
You can't get into trouble. The convicted felon will.

Unless you know and make it 'too easy'.

However, locked container that felon in household doesn't have access too (combination) should work.

G. Gordon Liddy's wife apparently has a nice selection of Hungarian Lugers :)

eckerph
07-20-2006, 2:17 PM
When my brother went into a mental health facility i was given a paper from i beleive the DOJ that stated i had to remove my guns from the residence, it was a generic letter that went over storeing firearms in the same house as felons/nutcases, I wish i kept the letter, would have made a good gun room wall hanger. lol:D

50 Freak
07-20-2006, 2:45 PM
What are you doing marrying a Felon?????

Unless a chick got a felony for being a nympho, I'd never date a Felon...not to mention marrying one.....

I'd be afraid of getting shived in the shower if I forget to take out the trash one day....

guimus
07-20-2006, 2:51 PM
Funny story (well, funny now, but certainly not at the time):

About 10 years ago when I was in college I was looking for a new roommate for my large house. Found a nice fellow who was quiet and friendly enough, but a little strange. He never left the house except for work, and didn't really have any friends. Turns out he was on house arrest as a 'Serious Sex Offencer'. Of course, during interviews, visits, etc he never disclosed this, and his P.O. (who I blame entirely) never visited the house or informed anyone that he would be turning our home into a prison. The P.O. was also incredibly rude and unhelpful when we decided that we'd rather not live with this fellow (half the housemates were female, and my girlfriend often vistited.)

The laws in our town were pretty useless, and meant that there was no legal way we could evict him as long as he paid the rent (even if he didn't it would take months.) A very helpful police officer gave me some tips as to how to make it illegal for him to be there. There was no way for me to open a daycare facility or move a school to the block, but buying a gun sure was easy. I informed the rude parole officer that (as a responsible adult in a house with no children) I kept a loaded and unlocked firearm around for self-defense against intruders and that the police may be interested in this information. Roommate was gone the next week!

gose
07-20-2006, 3:00 PM
What are you doing marrying a Felon?????
Unless a chick got a felony for being a nympho, I'd never date a Felon...not to mention marrying one.....
I'd be afraid of getting shived in the shower if I forget to take out the trash one day....

Never intended to... it was more out of sheer curiosity ;)

Thanks for the replies...

bwiese
07-20-2006, 3:34 PM
The laws in our town were pretty useless, and meant that there was no legal way we could evict him as long as he paid the rent (even if he didn't it would take months.)

He was on a 30 day month to month, not a lease?

If he was the last tenant in, you coulda decided it was 'too crowded' and given him 30day notice.

You could also put up, as a matter of community concern, "Sex Offender Resides Here". If Megan's Law allows the state to post this and notify residents of an area where sex offenders live, you could too...

TheMan
07-20-2006, 4:09 PM
You could also put up, as a matter of community concern, "Sex Offender Resides Here". If Megan's Law allows the state to post this and notify residents of an area where sex offenders live, you could too...

Good idea. Would you want to walk out of a house every day with a big sign that says "Sex Offender Resides Here" ? You might want to at least add a picture, to clarify which one the sex offender is.

That was a very clever way to get rid of them, by getting a gun. Getting rid of unwanted renters/roommates can be a huge hassle.

grammaton76
07-20-2006, 4:14 PM
I'm now seeing a version of Lucy's little psychology stand from Peanuts.

"The sex offender is now IN"

VeryCoolCat
07-20-2006, 4:14 PM
It didn't make my roommate leave when he found out I owned guns. He just started calling me rambo.... but hes not a fellon.
Also, learn to use privateeye.com they can do background checks for $50.

Hehe, I guess the Prison Pen Pals thing worked out for him :D