PDA

View Full Version : Rabbits in the rain?

devilinblack
12-18-2010, 1:57 PM
The weather is miserable, but the FedEx man brought me my Christmas present today! 1939 Winchester Model 24 SxS 12 gauge.

Anyway, how does light rain affect rabbit behavior? Do they tend to hunker down more under some cover, or will they still be out and about around dawn and dusk? Any reason not to go out this evening or tomorrow morning to try my luck?

TonyMang_89
12-18-2010, 2:21 PM
I thought I read somewhere that the first sunny day after a rain will be the best time for rabbits, just sitting in the sun soaking it up.

Bearclaw
12-20-2010, 11:03 AM
C'mon man!! Is there ever really a reason not to go out and try your luck???

edwardm
12-20-2010, 1:54 PM
Just go! After a rain, when it's still cloudy, I usually kick them out of medium to heavy brush (cottontails, at least). Jackrabbits seem to take off the second they know I'm there (which makes for better shooting, if you need to cull the population). But for cottontails, this kind of weather is perfect (I generally hunt them as stew meat, or very rarely to use as dog food.) Just before first light though, they'll usually be out, regardless of the rain.

Throw some low base 8's or 7 1/2's in there and go!

The weather is miserable, but the FedEx man brought me my Christmas present today! 1939 Winchester Model 24 SxS 12 gauge.

Anyway, how does light rain affect rabbit behavior? Do they tend to hunker down more under some cover, or will they still be out and about around dawn and dusk? Any reason not to go out this evening or tomorrow morning to try my luck?

devilinblack
12-20-2010, 2:26 PM
Yeah, I tried to get out Saturday for an evening hunt, but the traffic was not cooperating. I ended up turning around because it would have been past sunset before I got to where I was headed. I'm off Thursday and Friday so that'll be my next chance.

taperxz
12-20-2010, 3:48 PM
When the rain stops the animals come out! This weekend at my ranch the rain stopped and in front of my house there were about 50 quail, 2 bucks with 4 does, and 27 turkey. The rabbits are the same way. When the rain stops they come out to feed.

Baxter
12-20-2010, 5:14 PM
I prefer to hunt them in a light rain. It seems to keep them in the bush till you are right on top of them. Make sure your boots are waterproof.