PDA

View Full Version : Help me support Poochigian for CA Attorney General

JeffCinSac
07-20-2006, 6:35 AM
Please follow this link: http://californiaccw.org/posts/list/419.page to a thread over on CaliforniaCCW.org.

I'm looking for participation.

-J

johnny_22
07-20-2006, 8:23 AM
Why did such a Pro-gun owner State Senator agree with Anti-Gun owner Torrico?

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_2701-2750/ab_2714_vote_20060627_000002_sen_comm.html

JeffCinSac
07-20-2006, 10:19 AM
By the time AB2714 reached the senate, it had been amended to apply only to handgun ammunition (except rimfire), and further provided that the purchaser could present identification to "a carrier", such as UPS or FedEx. In this way, the law is not different than the current law on purchasing alcohol through the mail or over the internet. I'm still opposed, but the law has been significantly de-fanged since it was introduced.

Poochigian didn't vote on this until AFTER it had been amended as described above, and AFTER he had won the Republican nomination to run as Attorney General. My guess is that he voted "Aye" to avoid having a "No" vote used against him in the November election by his opponent, a very anti-gun Jerry Brown. Brown could say: "My opponent even voted against requiring people to show identification when purchasing ammunition!", and people would believe him.

Poochigian has voted for legislation to make CA a shall-issue state, and he voted AGAINST SB23 on the floor of the senate in 1999. Brown, on the other hand, is endorsed by Dianne Feinstein and Nancy Pelosi and stated during his primary campaign that he would work to keep "dangerous assault weapons" off the streets.

Who would you prefer?

-J

DrjonesUSA
07-20-2006, 2:52 PM
I don't want to register and post over on that other forum, so I'll voice my support here.

What exactly are you looking to do for Chuck and his campaign?

6172crew
07-20-2006, 7:38 PM
If moonbeam get's it, then this state is lost...officially (even more than it already is).

Good sig material:D

dwtt
07-20-2006, 8:04 PM
I've signed up to help his campaign, but like all these state offices, they don't really get very active until October. Right now the campaigns are working quietly in the background getting as much money and endorsements as they can. They're also digging up dirt on their opponents. If you are a gun owner in CA, please volunteer to help Pooch get into the AG office. Place a sign in your window or on your front lawn, if that's all you can do. Every bit helps.

tcrpe
07-21-2006, 11:58 AM
Please follow this link: http://californiaccw.org/posts/list/419.page to a thread over on CaliforniaCCW.org.

I'm looking for participation.

-J

Didn't Poochigian vote FOR the ammo ban?

UNOFFICIAL BALLOT
MEASURE: AB 2714
AUTHOR: Torrico
TOPIC: Ammunition.
DATE: 06/27/2006
MOTION: Do pass as amended, and re-refer to the Committee on Appropriations.
(AYES 5. NOES 1.) (PASS)

AYES

Migden Poochigian Cedillo Perata
Romero

NOES

Margett

ABSENT, ABSTAINING, OR NOT VOTING

vonsmith
07-21-2006, 1:06 PM
Poochigian definately has my support and vote. The alternative is too scary to think about.

=vonsmith=

GW
07-21-2006, 1:20 PM
Everyone on this board should give money to and vote for Chuck Poochigian. He is a good man and supporter of our gun rights.

I'd vote for my dog over Moonbeam anyway but Poochigian is the man
For once we don't have a "lesser of 2 evils" to vote for

And don't forget Tom McClintock for Lt Governor.
We need both of these guys to start winning our state back.

tcrpe
07-21-2006, 8:41 PM
Go back to post #3.

Reread as needed.

Go back to Post #8.

Re-read as needed until you see anything new contributed.

Apology accepted.

tcrpe
07-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Your post (#8) was identical to a previous post (#2) which was answered in a subsequent post (#3). Pay attention.

Any questions?

Besides...what's your point? Should we vote for moonbeam instead?:rolleyes:

Identical?

I think not. You'd have seen, if you had read #8 carefully, that I also provided the names of Poochigians's cohorts, i.e., Migden, Cedillo, Perata and Romero directly.

While this information may have been of no interest to you, the names may have been of interest to others, so let's let them decide, OK?

Pay attention.

Any questions?

WRT to Pooghigian, I do see your point. He voted for it, before he (presumably) votes against it. Sound familiar?

Keep working on your interpersonal skills, you'll get the hang of it.

Apology accepted.

This will be my last post here.

dwtt
07-22-2006, 12:35 PM
OK,
tcrpe can support Jerry Brown and the rest of us will support Pooch.
Now let's go forward and try to improve things in this great state's messed up government, even if some gun owners don't want to help. Here's his web page:
http://www.pooch4ag.com/
I hope everyone here signs up to help.

JeffCinSac
07-22-2006, 4:01 PM
...over on CaliforniaCCW.org, we are hatching a plan to "officially" endorse Poochigian. For most people on that forum, shall-issue CCW is the number 1 gun-related issue. I understand that for many here, OLLs are the number 1 gun-related issue.

In any case, by reading the other thread you will see that we will most likely be encouraging people to send monetary contributions with "CaliforniaCCW.org" written on the memo line of the check, so Poochigian will get a sense of how beneficial it is to suport that cause. Feel free to piggy-back on that plan, or perhaps write "California gun owner" or some such on your check, if you choose to contribute.

At minimum, I encourage everyone to get a bumper sticker/yard sign.

Poochigian needs some help with name recognition, and he's behind in funding, as well. I intend to help with both.

-JeffCinSac (who happens to be a Democrat, btw) :o

dwtt
07-22-2006, 7:36 PM

Poochigian needs some help with name recognition, and he's behind in funding, as well. I intend to help with both.

-JeffCinSac (who happens to be a Democrat, btw) :o
I've asked on their web site feedback page how to get yard and window signs supporting Poochigian for Attorney General, but didn't receive a reply. Maybe it's too early, maybe they gave up on Alameda county. I don't know. If anyone knows when or where they are giving out window signs and yard signs, let me know, I live in a corner house and traffic in both directions will see my yard sign.

GW
07-26-2006, 9:07 PM
They don't seem too sophisticated on their website
I did get a polite thank you e-mail for my donation, but none of the colorful banner stuff I have come to expect when I donate.
Maybe thats not a bad thing...

M. Sage
07-26-2006, 9:50 PM

I saw some bumper stickers on cars that got me thinking...

"I own a dog... and I vote!" and the like..

"I own guns and I vote!" ?? Anybody?

dwtt
07-26-2006, 9:59 PM
I sent an e-mail for some stickers and some yard signs. I hope they come soon. Hopefully, I'll get my big stack of postcards to send out too.
I got this reply about signs for Pooch.

---------------------------------
Thank you for supporting Senator Poochigian. We will not have yard signs available until sometime in August. As for an office in the Bay Area, we do not have a Poochigian office, but have materials etc. at the following:

Contra Costa Republican Victory Headquarters
7041 Koll Center Parkway, Suite 250
Pleasanton
Gerry Lynam
(707) 249-5713

San Francisco Republican Victory Headquarters
1360 Franklin Street
San Francisco
George Andrews
(650) 222-2142

Alameda County Republican Party
Richard Spees
510-638-3414
1039 MacArthur Blvd.
San Leandor, CA 94577
www.alamedagop.org

Doris Dingle
Coordinator Central Valley Headquarters
Poochigian for AG

Talkin2u2
08-11-2006, 8:21 PM
And when has Brown been shown to be anti-gun?

RS
Sac, CA

hoffmang
08-11-2006, 11:14 PM
You are kidding about Brown being pro-gun, right?

He has an armed security guard, but so does Boxer. The standard Dem (with a few happy notable exceptions) gun attitude is that the hoi-polloi shouldn't be armed but every significant democratic politician should have personal armed protection courtesy of the state or even a CCW in the case of Fienstien.

And they say the GOP is the party of privilege...

-G

bwiese
08-11-2006, 11:18 PM
I've heard several statments from Jerry Brown that acknowledge there is a 2nd Amendment right, and that legit folks do have guns for protection (this was in contrast to an Oakland crime situation)...

He will probably tow the party line however. But he's actually a smart, well-educated guy with good thought processes - and he actually might not wanna deal with the BS crap at DOJ F.D.

mikehaas
08-12-2006, 8:28 AM
When has he been shown to be pro-gun?
No iron in this fire (I'll wait to see what kind of rating NRA gives both of them), just thought I'd contribute.

Oakland adopted NRA's Project Exile under Brown.

The guys at the Alameda NRA Members' Council (http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/cgi-bin/haasmcshowwebpage.cgi?mc=alameda) told me that when they had their booth setup at local events, Mayor Brown would give them a "thumbs up" when he'd pass by.

Again, no druthers in this race, but I have always thought Brown tends to get a bad rap from gun-owners and it's probably undeserved.

Mike

Can'thavenuthingood
08-12-2006, 9:46 PM
I hope no one here is really serious about Jerry Brown for a legal position in government, he seemed to have a problem noticing things in his own office.

How is he going to keep an eye on 35 million?
http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?id=2918

Okay, maybe stardust catcher inspector,

Vick

jnojr
08-13-2006, 11:30 AM
I've heard several statments from Jerry Brown that acknowledge there is a 2nd Amendment right, and that legit folks do have guns for protection (this was in contrast to an Oakland crime situation)...

Yabbut, just try to get a CCW in Oakland...

Actions speak louder than words.

mikehaas
08-14-2006, 9:47 AM
...The standard Dem (with a few happy notable exceptions) gun attitude is that the hoi-polloi shouldn't be armed but every significant democratic politician should have personal armed protection courtesy of the state or even a CCW in the case of Fienstien.

And they say the GOP is the party of privilege...

-G
Again, not stumping for either Brown or Poochigian until the NRA endorsements come out, but staying focused on party-line politics only hurts us.

Remember, thanks to their political incompetence, the GOP occupies less than 33% of the government's elected state positions - a "SUPER MINORITY" I guess you can call it. So even if every Republican voted with NRA (fat chance), they still can't pass or stop anything. The victories NRA has been having and any in the future MUST include Democrat support. To pass AB 2111 and SB 1239 this year, NRA had to get significant numbers of Democrats on board. To get ANYTHING - defeat AB 2714/AB 352 we need Democrat support. To turn this DOJ AW thing our way, we need Democrat support. And NRA has been doing a GREAT job getting that support. (Let's not inadvertantly blow it for them.)

In my experience, there are committed pro-gun people in both parties, just like there are those who will stab us in the back. I prefer to let NRA tell us who the good & bad guys here because frankly, regular gun-owners like us are often wrong about such things. (And we tend NOT to be single-issue, voting against a pro-gun Democrat for say, abortion or other issues.)

And since the smaller CA "gun-groups" (term used advisedly) have been a major topic of discussion lately, I'll just add - IGNORE THEM ABOUT ENDORSEMENTS TOO. Same "private agenda" crap plays out there, even moreso since it has to do with elections. Personally, I love the 1998 example where GOC and GOA endorsed for governor a guy that had just appealed NRA's 1997 court victory defeating Roberti-Roos (robbing us of that victory!) and then confiscated SKS Sporters. And that guy was a Republican, BTW (naturally - there's the "private agenda" at work.) Remember the disaster named Dan Lungren? GOC AND GOA ENTHUSIASTICALLY supported him in 1998 - maybe with YOUR hard-earned pro-gun dollars! And unlike NRA that year, they DIDN'T show you LUNGREN'S GUN CONTROL RECORD (http://nrawinningteam.com/states/ca4.html)

See also LUNGREN CONFISCATES GUNS (http://www.nrawinningteam.com/states/Lindex.html)

(To give you an idea of the SCOPE of Lungren's 1998 defeat, know that he lost to a dead sheriff in LA county. In conservative, rural Siskyou county, he lost to the Peace & Freedom candidate. Your GOA/GOC pro-gun dollars at work. In 1998, CRPA was still working pretty well with NRA, so they did not endorse Lungren.)

Mike

Ryoushi
08-14-2006, 1:22 PM
I hate to say it but Poochigian is toast. No money, endorsements or name recognition and worst of all he is not out hustling for any. He is saving whatever meager war chest he has for a last minute whimper on TV.

Can'thavenuthingood
08-14-2006, 6:44 PM
That is a nice list of endorsements Pachoogian has so far. Any idea if any of the big city counties or Mayors are backing him? Thats where the numbers are in votes.

Vick

mikehaas
08-14-2006, 6:59 PM
Mike, with respect, that whole post sounds like a Democrat stump. I'm sorry, but it does.
It's not meant to be. If my post sounds like a Demcocrat commercial, it's because gun forums are typically a world where Democrats are considered evil - the attitude I am fighting. Same with assuming every Republican is a Second Amendment hero like Senator Haynes. Fox News isn't as conservative as portrayed, it's just that no other place gives both sides, so they LOOK that way. Please look a little closer, at me anyway.

Of course you'll never see me support Koretz, Scott, Perata, Cohn, Ridley-Thomas, Lowenthal, Torrico etc. etc. But don't let their agendas spoil the support we can get from other Democrats. Just today, NRA is asking us to thank Assemblywoman Gloria Negrete-Mcleod (D, Riverside area) for not supporting SB 59. If SB 59 had gotten one more vote today, it would have passed the Assembly.

I'm not FOR any party - I'm for "fighting smart", like increasing support for the 2A within Democrat ranks (Republican too, where needed). Party line is fighting "dumb" and truly blinds one to what is needed - it causes "pro-gun" groups to endorse flaming anti-gunners - CONFISCATORS no less! Imagine.

I want bad lawmakers of any stripe exposed and the good ones supported. That makes sense, doesn't it?

Mike

mikehaas
08-14-2006, 7:07 PM
HERE's a Democrat we all owe a lot too - former Assemblyman Rod Wright (D, Watts area). Would get downright hostile in his support for gun-rights. Damned term limits. :-(
http://calnra.com/caspecial/rodw/
(Getting the rare NRA Defender of Freedom Award in Reno, NRA 2002, standing with Ed Worley)

After forced out of the Assembly (I still mourn the loss) NRA was loyal (very important to NRA) but the worst sort of politics by other "pro-gunners" help defeat his run for the LA City Council...
http://nrawinningteam.com/calnra/rodw/

You have no idea how many times he helped NRA, and he ended up sacked because of knee-jerk "Democrats are bad" short-sightedness. Bad deal. I'm against everything that prevented this guy from getting back into politics. he was an animal.

Mike

dwtt
08-14-2006, 8:51 PM
Mike has some good points about the Democrats. Unfortunately, they apply to Democrats in other states. Here in CA, the Dem party machine is run by the most senior members, who all are antigun. Do the names Boxer, Feinstein, Willie Brown, Don Perata, or Cruz Bustamonte sound familiar? These are the CA Democrat party senior members who call the shots and can rally support for junior members, so it's in the best interest of individual Dem members to go with the program.

Can'thavenuthingood
08-15-2006, 7:48 AM
Years ago I agreed about keeping the pro gun Democrats in office and not looking at "the party" so much, however comma, each "D" that is in office contributes to the majority.

The majority controls the agenda and committees and the state.

The D's that were voted out or high timed should have been conservatives but they weren't. They contributed to the majority by their presence in the democratic party.
At one time you could have conservative democrats and get things done. Where are the Reagan dems now? Where are the strong Independant thinking controllers now?

One third, 33% is not a super minority, its pitiful.

Vick

mikehaas
08-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Years ago I agreed about keeping the pro gun Democrats in office and not looking at "the party" so much, however comma, each "D" that is in office contributes to the majority...Vick
That's not a problem gun-rights efforts are going to solve. NRA cannot fix the Republican Party (nor should it - the 'R' doesn't stand for "National Republican Association"!), nor can we wait around for them to fix themselves. Less than 10 years ago, the GOP owned the Assembly and the governor's seat, were able to elect and re-elect GOP governors - recall Wilson followed Dukemajen? California had 6 billion in the bank when WIlson left. But the GOP blew what they had gained - remember the last GOP AG we had - yeah, he confiscated guns and brought back Robert-Roos, but the really stupid thing he did - targeting medicinal marijuana users in California! Brilliant strategy. Every CA newspaper front page showed people in wheelchairs being wheeled out and their "medicinal" providers arrested and shutdown - AND THE MEDIA MADE SURE WE KNEW IT WAS BECAUSE OF A REPUBLICAN. This political football was the brainchild of one man - the Republican that was running for governor later that year! Of course the genius Dan Lungren was TROUNCED in the next election and because of stupidity like he showed, the GOP has never recovered.

My God, a few years ago, the GOP was able to vote in a temporary Senate leader due to some technicality. But because of their infernal internal bickering - just guess what they did. They voted in a Democrat just to spite other Republicans!

I believe after the 2004 elections, it got even worse for the GOP. At this time I understand they don't even have enough seats to stop super-majority stuff. Used to be they could stop budgetary things because that needed a 2/3 vote to pass and the GOP had just enough to prevent that. No more.

So, yes, the Dems are the majority - this is the reality I am trying to assert. I'm not stumping for Democrats, just proposing that gun-owners need to stop knee-jerking against the word. Identify the good ones and support them - CA gun-owners cannot afford to write off Democrats as a whole or ANYONE that supports the 2A.

Note, I'm not saying support the Democrat party. Just the pro-gun Democrats... let's let them see some benefit from their pro-gun views and support of NRA so they CAN differ with their party leaders on gun control and other Dems on the fence and junior Dems see that. Most of all, let's keep them elected because we need their pro-gun votes more than ever.

We don't have the luxury of hating Democrats and those that do can only hurt RKBA progress.

Mike

Ryoushi
08-15-2006, 1:59 PM
Other than mere conjecture, do you have any factual data that would support your statement? If you can post a citation to it, that would be good too. Because, according to this:

http://www.pooch4ag.com/supporters/index.cfm?ID=11

The Honorable Senator has quite a few supporters, indeed.

By E.J. Schultz / Bee Capitol Bureau
SACRAMENTO Down in the polls and behind in the money race, Fresno's Chuck Poochigian will have to make a come-from-behind charge if he is to upset Oakland Mayor Jerry Brown in the contest for state attorney general.
Helped by his high name recognition, Brown, a former governor and presidential candidate, has a 21-point lead over Poochigian, a Republican state senator, according to a Field Poll released last week.
The poll shows voters favoring Brown, a Democrat, 54% to 33%. Four out of five likely voters had an opinion on him. Just 16% of voters have an opinion on Poochigian.
With more than three months left before the election, Poochigian has plenty of time to close the gap. And at this point in the race, few voters are probably paying attention.
What could be more worrisome for Poochigian is Brown's fund-raising lead. Brown raised $981,743 from late May through June and has $5.2 million on hand. Poochigian raised $543,438 and has $3.6 million, according to the most recent filings.
Poochigian's campaign fell short of its goal of having $6 million on hand by the time the general election season started.

Talkin2u2
08-15-2006, 2:14 PM
Mike has some good points about the Democrats. Unfortunately, they apply to Democrats in other states.

Respectfully, I must point-out that you are mistaken. California has several pro-gun Democrats.

Here in CA, the Dem party machine is run by the most senior members, who all are antigun. Do the names Boxer, Feinstein, Willie Brown, Don Perata, or Cruz Bustamonte sound familiar? These are the CA Democrat party senior members who call the shots and can rally support for junior members, so it's in the best interest of individual Dem members to go with the program.

Boxer, Feinstein, Willie Brown, have little to do with state-level political decisions. And you can hardly compare LA union Dems to Frisco gay Dems to Central Valley conservative/moderate Dems, etc.

The Democrat Party is not the mafia or the Sopranos, and the "machine" does not make them offers they cannot refuse.

RS
Sac, CA

GW
08-15-2006, 2:31 PM
Respectfully, I must point-out that you are mistaken. California has several pro-gun Democrats

Who are these pro-gun Dems?

Talkin2u2
08-15-2006, 2:39 PM
Who are these pro-gun Dems?

Some of the ones I can think of are Joe Baca, Jr., Juan Arambula, Dean Florez, Barbara Matthews, Denise Ducheny, and of course, Nicole Parra.

There are others that vote pro-gun sometimes also.

RS
Sac, CA

dwtt
08-15-2006, 7:41 PM
Some of the ones I can think of are Joe Baca, Jr., Juan Arambula, Dean Florez, Barbara Matthews, Denise Ducheny, and of course, Nicole Parra.

There are others that vote pro-gun sometimes also.

RS
Sac, CA
These pro-gun Democrats are the exception, rather than the rule. They are far outnumbered by the anti-gun Democrats.

If Mike Haas has a valid point about the Democrats being unfairly portrayed by gun owners as anti-gun, he should bring out the evidence. However, I know that in my district, Alberto Torrico is antigun. I know Liz Fig is antigun. All the Democrats from San Francisco, where I used to live, are anti-gun. All the Democrats from Oakland, where I lived during college, were anti-gun. If anyone here has a Democrat rep who is pro-gun, let's hear about them and give Mike Haas some help. Until then, the Democrats are not my friends.

I'm supporting Poochigian for AG.

jemaddux
08-23-2006, 8:35 PM
Apparently, Senator Poochigian's wife is a hard-core, avid shooter. So is her family. In fact, that is how they were introduced. His wife, and future father-in-law took him shooting on their range as a first date. Since then, he's been "hooked".

The Senator was very adamant about his conservative viewpoints, as he contrasted himself with Jerry Brown. This was reinforced by the various speakers.

I did not get a chance to speak with him at length because there were several folks vying for his attention, but it was still good to hear him affirm his conservative views. I plan on writing him a letter addressing some specific points regarding 2nd Amendment issues. If you have any specific questions you'd like asked, post them here, or PM me.

All I can say is I have emailed a few time asking questions on where he stands on firearms and so far I have not heard one answer to many questions sent:( . Not a good start in my book