PDA

View Full Version : FFL question

Socal858
07-19-2006, 8:32 PM
this is kind of a strange situation

so my father, who resides in texas, would liek to transfer his 870 express to me (completely stock, no doo hickeys). i go to school in socal but ive come back this summer to visit (i drove here). what kind of appropriate paperwork would i have to go through to do the transfer legally?

additionally, should i register my that shot gun wtih the california DOJ once i arrive? i know its not mandatory but i thought it would be a good idea if it was stolen etc, unless anybody here has a reason for me not to do it

thanks!

TheMan
07-19-2006, 9:05 PM
this is kind of a strange situation

so my father, who resides in texas, would liek to transfer his 870 express to me (completely stock, no doo hickeys). i go to school in socal but ive come back this summer to visit (i drove here). what kind of appropriate paperwork would i have to go through to do the transfer legally?

father/son transfers require no paperwork in CA.

The question is though, are you a CA resident, TX resident, or both? This matters for federal laws regarding transfers. If you are a TX resident still, you should be able to just have him give it to you, no paperwork required(I think that is legal in TX). If you are no longer a TX resident, you probably have to go through the hassle of transfering it through an FFL here in CA, just to get the federal paperwork filed correctly.

Of course if he gave it to you before you left to go to college, no paperwork required, and everything is perfectly legal.

Make sure you aren't bringing it back on to a campus though, thats big time trouble.

And I personally wouldn't register it. If you are worried about what happens if its stolen, write down the serial number and store it somewhere safe.

Hunter
07-19-2006, 9:36 PM
...........i know its not mandatory but i thought it would be a good idea if it was stolen etc, unless anybody here has a reason for me not to do it

thanks!

The only thing you need to do if it is stolen in the future, is file a police report and provide the serial number then. That way IF it does show up later, they can see that it was stolen and you are the owner. Filling the information with DOJ really does nothing for a long gun. As for transfer, you can just bring it back with you without any fuss as there is nothing to report. It is a gift from your father, which is legal to do. Federal law allows this, Texas law allows this and CA law allows this.

Socal858
07-19-2006, 10:00 PM
thanks guys i really appreciate it!

i started college two years ago, i do not live on campus fortunately. i am a california resident and my dad is a texas resident

i read the current laws saying for non AW long guns father / son transfer cannot be done paperwork. neitehr of us have ever transferred a firearm (and certainly not to each other) so we dont know what to do. i just want to make sure everything is in order and legal

EOD Guy
07-20-2006, 5:37 AM
thanks guys i really appreciate it!

i started college two years ago, i do not live on campus fortunately. i am a california resident and my dad is a texas resident

i read the current laws saying for non AW long guns father / son transfer cannot be done paperwork. neitehr of us have ever transferred a firearm (and certainly not to each other) so we dont know what to do. i just want to make sure everything is in order and legal

Unfortunately, in order to be completely legal, the firearm must be transferred to you through a California dealer. Although California law allows transfers between certain family members, Federal law does not if they are residents of different states, unless the transfer is a bequest from an estate.

TheMan
07-20-2006, 7:24 AM
Unfortunately, in order to be completely legal, the firearm must be transferred to you through a California dealer. Although California law allows transfers between certain family members, Federal law does not if they are residents of different states, unless the transfer is a bequest from an estate.

Yep, it's not the Kalifornia law that is the problem, it's the federal law. But, make sure you don't still meet the requirements to be a TX resident. I can't seem to find clear instructions on what those requirements are federally. But seeing as how you are just out in CA for school, you may still be able to call yourself a TX resident as well.

Of course, if your father had just handed this over before you moved out here for school, there'd definitely be no paperwork required for anyone. You could've even left it stored there while you were at school;)