PDA

View Full Version : AKM Canted rear sight block and barrel

lil_jackal
12-17-2010, 4:21 PM
im pretty sure i need a gunsmith :P check out the pics and tell me what you think

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l554/lil_jackalx/PB250024.jpg

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l554/lil_jackalx/PB250029.jpg

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l554/lil_jackalx/PB250032.jpg

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l554/lil_jackalx/PB250038.jpg

Robidouxs
12-17-2010, 4:25 PM
Does the gun even function? Did go bang and hit somewhat near the target?

lil_jackal
12-17-2010, 4:28 PM
yeah it works , i was about 10 feet from a half foot wide target i was aiming in the middle and it went left and barely hit the target :(

Robidouxs
12-17-2010, 4:34 PM
Did you buy it new in box or did you build it yourself? If it was the former, I would have it sent back to the manufacturer. If it is the later, well, you might as well attend a build party since you are going to have to take the gun apart (remove rivets, press out barrel and other stuff).

nicoroshi
12-17-2010, 4:35 PM
Looks like the front trunnion isn't riveted square to the front of the receiver.
With your lower handguard off look at the front of the receiver in relation to the front edge of the front trunnion.
My guess is it's not even on both sides.

Did you fall on that rifle?

lil_jackal
12-17-2010, 4:39 PM
i bought it new in box around aug, i really dont want to send it back to the manufacturer because i rather send it to a gunsmith and waste money rather than waiting 6+ months to get my rifle back , lol i did not fall on the rifle ahhh you made my day

Shady
12-17-2010, 4:49 PM
could you take a few more photos
try to get them to not be so blurry
shots of it from all angles

who built the rifle?

We The People Firearms
12-17-2010, 4:49 PM
I agree with Nicoroshi. Everything from the trunion forward looks canted.

lil_jackal
12-17-2010, 4:56 PM
i can add some in a bit , camera battery died ,idk about the blurry pics crappy camera is crappy and inter ordnance, i know it makes me sad! can any of you guys help me fix it or send me off to a gunsmith

Ford8N
12-17-2010, 5:00 PM
From the pix I agree with nicoroshi. Take off the front end and rerivet. You will probably have to egg the holes but put a dab of JB Weld on each rivet before you crush and you should be good to go. Also your gas block is off a bit. That's common but it is an easy fix too. Knock out the pins and slap it over strait with the front sight block using a plastic hammer. Slightly bevel the pins and put them back in, it will be a bit harder to put them back in than when you took them out, so be prepared.

After you rivet you can double check if it is strait by looking down the barrel from the chamber end. You should see a symmetrical shadow inside the barrel.

A word of warning. You might throw off the magazine catch dimension and/or the dust cover fit when you adjust the front trunnion. So you might have to do some adjusting.

Sometimes its easier to just send it back. But if you like to tinker, its fun.

Shady
12-17-2010, 5:01 PM
i can add some in a bit , camera battery died ,idk about the blurry pics crappy camera is crappy and inter ordnance, i know it makes me sad! can any of you guys help me fix it or send me off to a gunsmith

AHA! there is the problem
io casars are plagued with these types of problems

maybe you should bring it to a build party
we definitely could help you out

Roccobro
12-17-2010, 5:02 PM
Who is the maker? IO?

If it is OK at the receiver, it definitely has some canted FSB issues.

Some underside pictures of the front trunion to receiver area would help. A picture from butt area of stock STRAIGHT down to front sight as well.

Justin

ETA: I now see maker is IO. Send it back for a full refund and we'll build you something better for the same money (or less)

lil_jackal
12-17-2010, 5:09 PM
@ford8n only if i knew how to really do that , do u need tools ( im pretty sure ) and if so im pretty sure i dont have them :P

@shadyjeff yeah theyre pretty much a hit or a miss and mine is a miss just like it shoots lol
if theres a build party around here ill go ! when and where :D

lil_jackal
12-17-2010, 5:11 PM
@roccobro , if they give me refund that is , and if they do ill send u a message!

nicoroshi
12-17-2010, 5:12 PM
I have to agree with Roccobro.
Send it back for a refund, buy a kit, attend a BP, and leave with a nice rifle for cheaper.

I.O. has hate threads on every forum I go to.
My personal opinion from the feedback I have heard......Avoid them like the plague.

From your location I recommend one of CSACannoner's BPs. He's not far from where you are, and many great builders attend his parties who would be more than willing to help you out.
Lots of good times, and good food also at them thar parties!

lil_jackal
12-17-2010, 5:15 PM
@nicoroshi , if they give me a refund! , and damn it i researched them and saw nothing but good reviews , as soon as i got it i saw nothing but bad reviews.... DAMN IT lol

nicoroshi
12-17-2010, 5:19 PM
Don't kick yourself bro.
We're all human you know.

At times when things like this happen to me I ask myself, "Is my head on fire?" If not then it's not that bad. :D
Helps me to put things into perspective.
Work on that refund, and we'll help you build a nice rifle.
Deal?

Roccobro
12-17-2010, 5:26 PM
Give them a call and send it in. Worst would be they fix it. Best is you get a refund.

Don't discount fixing it yourself. *IF* there is no issues with the front trunion to receiver, it will be just the front sight needing to be moved. Easy to do. I say a trunion/receiver issue is the deal breaker as it would need substantially more work (here or at the factory) to make right. No JB welding please.

Just an FYI- watch the rear trunion and rivets stretching. Check for gaps appearing between sheet metal and trunion. The rivets have been known to fail after just a couple hundred round. Parts go flying, and hopefully your face isn't in the way when it does.

A $9 rivet pack from AK-Builder.com can fix that though. :D

Justin

lil_jackal
12-17-2010, 5:43 PM
@nicoroshi, lol cant help it i always wanted an ak since i was in 8th grade !, and promise ? lol

@roccobro, if they dont give me a refund , im not going to let them fix it , i heard one person send it in to get it fixed and came back even more F****ed up and he got it back around 7 months , i need my rifle with me , and ooh crap really some of the rivets have little gaps so that kinda scares me now thanks lol i would buy it if i go to a build party

_Z_
12-17-2010, 5:47 PM
Go to the San Diego BP. PM ENTHUSIAST and tell him what's going on. If there are gaps in the rivets you will probably want to redo the rivets also but that's just me. Tell him about the gaps in your rivets and that you need to pull off your ak fixtures on the barrel to fix the cant if there is any (which it does look like)

The SD BP is weekend of Jan 7.

lil_jackal
12-17-2010, 5:50 PM
i doubt im ever going to drive that far just for that unless theres strippers and free beer :)

_Z_
12-17-2010, 5:55 PM
Well IDK where in Socal you are at but I am sure someone can direct you to someone in your area.

lil_jackal
12-17-2010, 5:58 PM
im in the san gabriel valley and los angeles

Shady
12-17-2010, 6:12 PM
i doubt im ever going to drive that far just for that unless theres strippers and free beer :)

you wouldnt drive a hr and a half to fix your rifle and have a awesome day hanging out with calgunners, drinking beer ,bbqing and shooting stuff

la puente must be lively town

Shady
12-17-2010, 6:12 PM

you wouldnt drive a 2 hrs to fix your rifle and have a awesome day hanging out with calgunners, drinking beer ,bbqing and shooting stuff?

if you HAVE TO See naked chicks Im sure you can swing my a strip club or two down there.

or maybe 8bit and lyte can help you out and do a couple dances for ya :)

I kid I kid

lil_jackal
12-17-2010, 6:20 PM
noooooooo i was xcited about the dances and u shot me down lol jk hmm you make it sound so tempting ! and shooting stuff only sweetens it :)

Ryan in SD
12-17-2010, 6:25 PM
Hard to tell from pics but if its just the way the parts were pressed onto the barrel i can help you fix it. I just got my shop press, if you dont mind the drive to North county SD I will be willing to help you out fo' free.

I have all the pressing tools needed too and a bore sighter to get you on paper.

Also Shady Jeff has some sick builds, he can probably help you blindfolded.

lil_jackal
12-17-2010, 6:45 PM
why cant u guys live closer :P

nicoroshi
12-17-2010, 6:52 PM
Hey Bro, I drove from the Bay area down to Santa Clarita just to help out at a build party. I will be driving down to central CA in Feb to do the same.
I don't even have anything I am bringing to build of my own.

Sometimes one must travel a bit to reach the help they desire (or in my case....Just to hang out, and help others build :D).

Trust me it's well worth the trip for the fun you'll have, and the knowledge you'll gain.

89 Vision
12-17-2010, 6:54 PM
I have a Casar and it looks exactly like that. For what it's worth.....I sent mine back to I.O. Inc. I received my rifle back a couple months later, and it looked exactly the same. So if you do send it back, don't expect too much to happen. My "crooked" rifle used to bother me, but since I sent it back and nothing was done, I strangely feel much better about it now. Guess I feel like I did what I could about it. Now it's just a funny conversation piece. Shoots fine on the other hand, it's the other problems that experienced people here have pointed out about it that bother me more. There's some threads in the rifle section about this gun, you just have to dig a bit as it has been out of the spotlight lately. Search and you will definitely find.

tujungatoes
12-17-2010, 6:58 PM
I hate to say it(really I do), but if it was me I'd see about getting a refund on that IO piece of Sh**. It's the more financially sound route. If it's a home build that needs work, or a factory rifle that needs minor tweaks that's one thing. Don't throw good money after bad though. Like has been said several times already. get a refund, buy a kit, and come to one of the builds at CSA's place. You'll leave with a better rifle, and the satisfaction of knowing it was built(correctly) by you.

At times when things like this happen to me I ask myself, "Is my head on fire?"

ok, i have to ask. given your occupation....have you ever set your head on fire?:p

lil_jackal
12-17-2010, 7:00 PM
@ 89 vision , i feel better after reading that for some odd reason probably cuz i was thinking about sending it in , now i know its hardly worth it , im pretty sure i can still sight it in but the front post is going to be all the way to the left and im pretty sure that would bother me but wut the hell if i can get it repaired ill be happy all i can do now is dress it up and make it look pretty

lil_jackal
12-17-2010, 7:03 PM
@tujungatoes, does it look that bad?

_Z_
12-17-2010, 7:04 PM
But what is the reality of him getting a refund? He has had the rifle for 4 months now so IDK. I wish you could get a refund but I just don't see it happening.

lil_jackal
12-17-2010, 7:07 PM
thanks z you crushed my hopes then you canted them slightly to the left lol jk

CSACANNONEER
12-17-2010, 7:12 PM

There's normally a bottle or two of beer here during build parties. If you really feel the need for strippers, I'm willing to give it another shot. I never made much stripping but, I use to make a small fortune by threatening to strip if I everyone did not make a donation.:D

OK, in all seriousness, I have to agree with Nico that the entire front trunion is riveted that way. It's either that or the receiver is not bent properly. What you have right now is a $200 parts kit and some US parts. I would wait until someone looks at it to determine wether it's even safe to shoot. Anyway, if you want to keep it and rebuild it, shoot me a PM and we can get together to figure out what is salvagable and what isn't.

tujungatoes
12-17-2010, 7:14 PM
@tujungatoes, does it look that bad?

Not THAT bad. I just have this expectation of things i pay money for to work properly when I buy them. I also watched a buddy of mine send the same rifle back to century twice, and know how ultimately frustrating it was for him.

Like Nico says "it aint broke till we can't fix it, and for enough time and money we can fix just about anything.". I was just giving my personal recommendation. It's hard to tell from your pics. is the bolt carrier hitting on the rear sight block, or is it just that the front sight is out of whack?

_Z_
12-17-2010, 7:16 PM
There's normally a bottle or two of beer here during build parties. If you really feel the need for strippers, I'm willing to give it another shot. I never made much stripping but, I use to make a small fortune by threatening to strip if I everyone did not make a donation.:D

OK, in all seriousness, I have to agree with Nico that the entire front trunion is riveted that way. It's either that or the receiver is not bent properly. What you have right now is a $200 parts kit and some US parts. I would wait until someone looks at it to determine wether it's even safe to shoot. Anyway, if you want to keep it and rebuild it, shoot me a PM and we can get together to figure out what is salvagable and what isn't.

Oh no, look @ what you guys did

tujungatoes
12-17-2010, 7:20 PM
I swear it always ends up with some kind of nude CSA joke happening. sometimes on a quad, sometimes hunting quail....but always freekin naked! WHY?!?

Jackall, I'm actually going to be in W. covina on sunday. Not too far away from you I believe. If you're available, I'd be happy to come by in the AM and check it out in person.

lil_jackal
12-17-2010, 7:20 PM
well i guess im not making the donation :D

@tujungatoes its just barely scraping by

@_z_ , i hope hes not kidding :P

nicoroshi
12-17-2010, 7:33 PM
LMAO @CSA.
Alrighty folks it's time for more naked quad riding!!!! WOOHOO!

Hey, I think it would be fun in the right company. ;)

Seriously though, Both Toes, and CSA could help you, and are not as far as you might think from you.

And no Toes, You've seen me without a hat. Hard to set on fire a head with no hair :P
Just something I said in a drunken rage one day many years ago (when I was a drinker) that (along with changing how I deal with things I have no control over) I still use to help me find prospective in life when it throws me a curve (which is quite often.....remember the truck? [taps plays softly in the background]).

CSACANNONEER
12-17-2010, 7:34 PM
I swear it always ends up with some kind of nude CSA joke happening. sometimes on a quad, sometimes hunting quail....but always freekin naked! WHY?!?

Jackall, I'm actually going to be in W. covina on sunday. Not too far away from you I believe. If you're available, I'd be happy to come by in the AM and check it out in person.

I can multi task by hunting quail on a quad nakie. But, it's really cold up here right now so...........

well i guess im not making the donation :D

@tujungatoes its just barely scraping by

@_z_ , i hope hes not kidding :P

I guess it's time to order a new size 54 g string.

BTW, you really should take Toes up on his offer. If anyone can think outside the box and figure out how to make or fix something, Macgiuvertoes can. He's also built an AK or two and helped build over 100 more! I'm not kidding!!!!!

tujungatoes
12-17-2010, 7:39 PM
I can multi task by hunting quail on a quad nakie. But, it's really cold up here right now so...........

SHRINKAGE!! "it's tiny!"

...note to self. no more sake and beers before calguns

CSACANNONEER
12-17-2010, 7:44 PM
SHRINKAGE!! "it's tiny!"

...note to self. no more sake and beers before calguns

Egg nog here.:D

lil_jackal
12-17-2010, 7:55 PM
so toes since ur the closest one around here ( i think ) when would u like to help thy ? :D

Shady
12-17-2010, 8:04 PM
Way to Jack his thread guys :)

tujungatoes
12-17-2010, 8:04 PM
Like I said, I'll be in your neck of the woods(ish) Sunday if you're around.

lil_jackal
12-17-2010, 8:08 PM
@shadyjeff , i know ! lol naw as long as its funny !
@toes, cool sounds like a date! ill bring the whipcream!

tujungatoes
12-17-2010, 8:17 PM

I'll get in touch with you via PM about Sunday.
:shock: Oh f**k we may have another CSA on our hands. If you're bringing whipped cream, there had better be a goddamned pumpkin pie involved:p

Sorry for the threadjack there. It's friday, and I've had a "few" tonight.:chris:

_Z_
12-17-2010, 8:17 PM

Hahaha a date!

Gotta love the gunsmithing forum and what we say

lil_jackal
12-17-2010, 8:26 PM
well im out later guys! ill make sure ill save some whipcream for all !!! p.s. there is no pumpkin pie involved :flowers:

CSACANNONEER
12-18-2010, 6:23 AM

Looks like you'll fit in around here just fine.

I'll get in touch with you via PM about Sunday.
:shock: Oh f**k we may have another CSA on our hands. If you're bringing whipped cream, there had better be a goddamned pumpkin pie involved:p

Sorry for the threadjack there. It's friday, and I've had a "few" tonight.:chris:

I thought you liked warm apple pie:confused:.

CSACANNONEER
12-19-2010, 1:56 PM
Well before I pour my first egg nog of the day, I wanted to see what Toes thought of the IO and what we can do to fix the problems. Anyway, I'm waiting to hear about it. Now for a tall glass of 1/3 brandy and 2/3 egg nog.

4thSBCT
12-19-2010, 2:45 PM
Now for a tall glass of 1/3 brandy and 2/3 egg nog.

your fractions are backwards...

CSACANNONEER
12-19-2010, 4:25 PM
your fractions are backwards...

I start slow and poor the second 20 oz glass your way instead.:43:

tujungatoes
12-19-2010, 8:05 PM
I waited all day...he never called.*snif*

MEN!:mad:

lil_jackal
12-19-2010, 8:13 PM
dont lie ! we had a cute conversation!

tujungatoes
12-19-2010, 8:24 PM
Yeah!...When I was on my way home.:p

*edit* NOTHING about me is cute.

lil_jackal
12-19-2010, 8:33 PM
Yeah!...When I was on my way home.:p

wut did u expect a candle lit conversation? .... i think i would like that ...:o

CSACANNONEER
12-20-2010, 8:16 AM
I waited all day...he never called.*snif*

MEN!:mad:

It'll be OK. There'll be another guy willing to show you his gun with a canted sight base or canted trunion. Who knows, maybe you'll even be able to fix someone ejection problems soon.

lil_jackal
12-20-2010, 12:53 PM
maybe you'll even be able to fix someone ejection problems soon.

that sounds so wrong

bigbob76
12-20-2010, 1:33 PM

There is a guy that will take off his shirt and do a belly dance, and there's beer.

lil_jackal
12-20-2010, 4:38 PM
There is a guy that will take off his shirt and do a belly dance, and there's beer.

you had me at belly dance :)

CSACANNONEER
12-20-2010, 5:24 PM
There is a guy that will take off his shirt and do a BELLY dance, and there's beer.

Fixed it for you!

Roccobro
12-22-2010, 12:26 AM
It'll be OK. There'll be another guy willing to show you his gun with a canted sight base or canted trunion. Who knows, maybe you'll even be able to fix someone ejection problems soon.

If my sigline wasn't already full... :43:

Justin

Shady
12-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Fixed it for you!

keep your swell neck long rivit in your pants

RePete
12-24-2010, 8:33 AM
Just a quick word of advice on I.O. - Every example of an I.O. AK-47 I have seen has had serious flaws. No sh*t. Avoid-Avoid-Avoid. The only marking I have seen on their front trunion says "AK-47" and thats all. Many times people will demill these rifles and try to sell them as parts kits on these forums or gunbroker, etc. Avoid-Avoid-Avoid. Even the parts kits are unusable. They have many misaligned parts on the barrels like the front site posts, site block, and I have even seen the forearm retainer so completly misaligned that you could not even install the handguards! If these guys lived near me I would pay em a personal visit...

Roccobro
01-16-2011, 9:28 PM
Update???

Justin

motorhead
01-17-2011, 8:25 AM
it does look like your whole front end is canted. either the trunnion/reciever OR the bbl. was pressed in canted. no the bbl. pin DOESN'T straighten it out, it just buggers everything. look a how your rsb sits in relation to the rear trunnion. easy fix with a o/s bbl. pin and reinstall.

lil_jackal
01-18-2011, 12:57 PM
well its going back to manufacturer, they said theyre going to give me a new rifle , and hopefully they will , it ships out tomarrow so fingers crossed!!!

tujungatoes
01-18-2011, 3:36 PM
Good luck

Z ME FLY
01-18-2011, 3:40 PM
well its going back to manufacturer, they said theyre going to give me a new rifle , and hopefully they will , it ships out tomarrow so fingers crossed!!!

It just sucks that you are going to have to redros it and have to pay the fee again yeah?

Roccobro
01-19-2011, 8:25 AM
Not if they destroy the frame and reserial the new one the same #. Shipped straight back to owner.

If not, they pay the transfer fees. At least they did that for some of their unfortunate customers last year.

Justin