PDA

View Full Version : Change in Removable Mag Def?

insin
07-19-2006, 5:19 PM
I haven't been following this forum as closely as I should, but has the DOJ voted yet to change the definition of the whole fixed/removable (w or w/o a tool) yet? Is there even a vote, or is it definately going to happen. I believe it was from 6/27.

Im just trying to figure out if one of those mag-locks still might be a good investment as oppose to removing the PG.

Thanks

insin
07-19-2006, 5:20 PM
Ohh, I found it. http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regs/awdefnotice0606.html

Looks like the hearing is not till Aug. 16th.

VeryCoolCat
07-19-2006, 5:24 PM
They aren't changing the definition of detachable magazine. They are adding the word "Permanent".

Which you cant do without welding. Plus even if you welded something cover the mag well, you could remove it by deassembling it and pulling it out the top. So just ignore it, there isn't much you can say or do until the time actually comes near.

50BMGBOB
07-19-2006, 6:19 PM
There is no definiton for "permanent" If you have to disassemble and replace parts, sounds permanent to me. Of course, I'm not a lawyer.

jemaddux
07-19-2006, 6:47 PM
There is no definiton for "permanent" If you have to disassemble and replace parts, sounds permanent to me. Of course, I'm not a lawyer.

1. Permanently Installed: Fixed in place (e.g. screwed, bolted, or nailed), as distinct from components, systems, or appliances considered portable or freestanding.

1. Lasting or remaining without essential change.

2. Not expected to change in status, condition, or place

It would still be really loose on meaning. Any good lawyer would be able to tear this apart in court. This is from two different dictionarys on the web. :D

Mudvayne540ld
07-19-2006, 7:32 PM
Will this proposed change go to a judge? Im still not sure how this is decided. :o

6172crew
07-19-2006, 7:47 PM
[billy bob thorton]I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids. You nerve wrackin' son's a *****es.
[dude on tombstone]:D

Sorry couldnt help it.

xenophobe
07-19-2006, 8:04 PM
They aren't changing the definition of detachable magazine. They are adding the word "Permanent".

Which you cant do without welding. Plus even if you welded something cover the mag well, you could remove it by deassembling it and pulling it out the top. So just ignore it, there isn't much you can say or do until the time actually comes near.

Actually, they are not defining the word permanent either. They are defining the term "capacity to accept".

Defining permanent would end up settling the issue, which the DOJ is clearly not desiring to do. Defining capacity to accept still pushes the burden of definition upon the 58 DAs.....

TheMan
07-19-2006, 8:57 PM

Which you cant do without welding.

I don't think they are defining permanent as requiring welding. And if they did, they would need to then define welding, because I have a tube of JB Weld in my toolbox ready to go:D

Tzvia
07-20-2006, 6:31 AM
1. Permanently Installed: Fixed in place (e.g. screwed, bolted, or nailed), as distinct from components, systems, or appliances considered portable or freestanding.

1. Lasting or remaining without essential change.

2. Not expected to change in status, condition, or place

It would still be really loose on meaning. Any good lawyer would be able to tear this apart in court. This is from two different dictionarys on the web. :D

That first one "screwed, bolted or nailed" is interesting. My mag button is drilled, tapped and a set SCREW (as in screwed) is screwed through it. So I guess it is permanent.:) That makes it "Fixed in place" and fits the definition perfectly. The DOJ is playing with words, and no where is permanent "immutable" or "irreversable". All the maglocks I have seen were screwed in place, and fixed. The term seems to change nothing that we have been doing.

It all seems like a game of 'Delay till after the election' by the powers that are pulling the DOJ's strings. And the general press has still not touched it either, at least not that I have seen. You would think NBC would have had a special edition on the 'assault weapons' now flooding the 'streets'. And I keep standing on the curb, waiting for that FAL to float by and seeing nothing...

Tzvia