PDA

View Full Version : help out a noob: what is a curio and relic firearm?

Hornet_RN
12-17-2010, 2:43 PM
hey guys

can you answer my simple question?

does that mean these firearms are at least >50 years old?

do these include blackpowder rifles/pistols like flintlocks, matchlocks, and percussion cap rifles? do these include classic cowboy firearms like single action army pistols, lever action rifles, and that old winchester shotgun in the cowboy movies? what about that Quigley rifle in Quigley Down Under?

if something is labeled as a curio and relic, can i just purchase these firearms on the spot WITHOUT a 10 day waiting period? (because California is lame, when it comes to guns anyway)

someone at my local club let me fire their blackpowder rifle and i could see myself liking it. i might end up being the only 20 something year old guy there shooting a blackpowder rifle in the future...heh.

mauser98k
12-17-2010, 3:18 PM
Any firearm that you can document is 50 years old or older is C&R. If it was made prior to 1898, it is an antique.

in Kalifornia you cannot bypass the 10 day waiting period in a store just because a rifle might be C&R. you will need a C&R license and a Certificate of Eligibility to do that. you can send your C&R license to gun stores and have the rifle shipped directly to your house if you order from a place like J&G Sales.

this does not apply to handguns. handguns, C&R or not, are always accompanied by background checks in Kalifornia. again, say you go to J&GSales in Arizona, there you can take your C&R license and purchase a pistol that qualifies as C&R and bring it home that day. but you must register it in Kalifornia within 1 week. handguns ordered from out of state must be sent to an 01 FFL (like a gun store) where they'll do your DROS and DOJ background checks.

but remember, just because a gun is C&R doesn't mean it will be legal in this oh-so-wonderful state.

ke6guj
12-17-2010, 3:21 PM
hey guys

can you answer my simple question?

does that mean these firearms are at least >50 years old?

do these include blackpowder rifles/pistols like flintlocks, matchlocks, and percussion cap rifles? do these include classic cowboy firearms like single action army pistols, lever action rifles, and that old winchester shotgun in the cowboy movies? what about that Quigley rifle in Quigley Down Under?

FROm the ATF:

A regulation implementing Federal firearms laws, 27 CFR Section 478.11, defines C&R firearms as those “which are of special interest to collectors by reason of some quality other than is associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons.”

To be recognized as C&R items, 478.11 specifies that firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

a.Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;
b.Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and
c.Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

if something is labeled as a curio and relic, can i just purchase these firearms on the spot WITHOUT a 10 day waiting period? (because California is lame, when it comes to guns anyway)as mentioned above, CA has additional rules that must be adhered to, even if it is C&R.

someone at my local club let me fire their blackpowder rifle and i could see myself liking it. i might end up being the only 20 something year old guy there shooting a blackpowder rifle in the future...heh.
muzzle loading firearms are considered antiques, not C&R, even if newly made. Antique firearms have different rules than do C&R firearm. For the most part, they are Cash and carry, no paperwork needed.

M. D. Van Norman
12-17-2010, 6:59 PM
The trick is to get your FFL-03 and then never buy a C&R firearm in California. :devil2:

glennsche
12-18-2010, 1:08 AM
The trick is to get your FFL-03 and then never buy a C&R firearm in California. :devil2:

This!

Besides, getting guns in the mail is so damn cool.

Or, just get them at gunshows in CA, thats same day cash carry too.

Anchors
12-18-2010, 8:55 PM
"What is a curio and relic firearm?"

It's a fancy phrase for Mosin Nagant.
:D