PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 in M1 Carbine wood

Caribouriver
12-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Has anyone here put the Ruger 10/22 steel into the M1 Carbine type stock ($140 from Brownells) or know someone that has? Yup, it's expensive - more than half the cost of the original 10/22. I was wondering if the stock 10/22 sights still work OK looking through the groove in the hand guard? Are M1 Carbine type peep sights available and compatible with the Ruger dovetail? Thanks

Crunch130
12-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Yes, I have. You can use it with the stock sights. I put Tech Sights (peep sights) on mine. With the cost of new 10/22 (standard rifle) I have about $400 into mine. I shot mine in a rimfire 50-yard, 3-posn match against six target and high-end sporter rifles, all with scopes, and came out in the middle of the pack!

Crunch

kmca
12-17-2010, 11:44 AM
If you're interested in a sale:
http://www.eabco.com/store/products/M1_Carbine_Replica_Ruger_10_22_Stock_and_Tribute-1800-70.html

Caribouriver
12-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Sweet. Thanks Crunch130 and kmca. Say Crunch, did you put the flip rear peep sight ($59) on or the windage and elevation ($69) sight? Do you need to drill and tap for either of them? And thanks for the sale tip on the stock kmca. I figure it's the same one as Brownells but a little cheaper.

Crunch130
12-17-2010, 7:41 PM
I got the -200 fully adjustable model. I love it.

The rear sight mounts to the existing threaded holes for the scope rail, and the front mounts in the existing dovetail for the front sight.

Crunch

Seesm
12-17-2010, 8:14 PM
Looks pretty cool... I would want to peek at one face to face for sure... Daddy likes..

CmpsdNoMore
12-18-2010, 5:56 AM
That's pretty cool. I'll add it to the list of 10 other ideas for 10/22s that I'd like to do some day, haha!

I love versatile guns!

pennys dad
12-18-2010, 7:18 AM
Wow, nice stock setup. hmmmmmmm
and damn you btw now i want one!

MongooseV8
12-18-2010, 9:34 AM
Just a heads up, if you are going to be shooting at 25 yards most guys suggest getting the $59 Tech Sights with the flip up rear. The other one doesnt adjust enough for close range shooting sometimes. Also you can get the stock for less here:

http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1529

I was thinking about making one for Appleseed shoots, but am going to be using the Tech Sights on a factory Target barrel 10/22 instead.

Caribouriver
12-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Christmas is coming a week early. I'm placing the order today. Yay!

Mac Attack
12-18-2010, 1:42 PM
Why do it?

hellraiser
12-18-2010, 3:16 PM
WOW!!! i would have never thought of that!!!!!

Anybody ever tried it with the para stock??? That would be nuts!

DirtNapKing
12-19-2010, 5:32 PM
Why do it? Exactly! :sleeping:

MongooseV8
12-20-2010, 5:43 PM
Uh why not do it? Many of us can use this to train for either M1 rifles without having to spend a fortune on ammo. I kinda thought that was obvious but thanks you two for contributing to the thread.

Ask again after shooting a few hundred rounds through your Garand at an Appleseed weekend......

Caribouriver
12-22-2010, 5:00 PM
That's exactly why I'm doing it. I love shooting an M1 Carbine but @ $4/10 rd clip it gets expensive. But I like the fit of the M1 stock on my aging frame. Plus I'd have to buy swivels for the 10/22 to mount a sling. My thinking is that I can practice cheap with the .22 and peep sights and then switch over to the real McCoy and blow through $20 instead of $60. I figure I'll have the investment back in less than a year if I stick to the plan. It's just a personal preference in feel, sights and appearance for me - that's all. I acknowledge that it won't "shoot" any better.

Rabidmonkey777
12-25-2010, 5:07 PM
That's exactly why I'm doing it. I love shooting an M1 Carbine but @ $4/10 rd clip it gets expensive. But I like the fit of the M1 stock on my aging frame. Plus I'd have to buy swivels for the 10/22 to mount a sling. My thinking is that I can practice cheap with the .22 and peep sights and then switch over to the real McCoy and blow through $20 instead of $60. I figure I'll have the investment back in less than a year if I stick to the plan. It's just a personal preference in feel, sights and appearance for me - that's all. I acknowledge that it won't "shoot" any better.

add that stock with some tech sights it sure will shoot better.

echo884
12-26-2010, 9:59 AM
With CMP no longer selling M1 carbines, for me this is a perfect alternative. I need to get a 10/22 now. And my gun safe is already full. Damn....

shadow65
12-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Thank you for posting that. Beautiful to me and I will be picking one up. Too bad someone doesn't make a M1 looking mag for the 10/22.

BHP FAN
12-26-2010, 1:41 PM
actually the ''stick'' mag off the Tommygun kit looks a lot like an M1 Carbine mag.

shadow65
12-26-2010, 3:59 PM
actually the ''stick'' mag off the Tommygun kit looks a lot like an M1 Carbine mag.

You mean for a 10/22? Never saw one.

BHP FAN
12-26-2010, 4:27 PM
no, it's meant for the ''fun gun'' tommygun conversion, but actually looks more like an M1 Carbine mag....not the drum, but the ''stick'' mag.

http://www.1022fungun.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=13&idcategory=3

mag318
12-26-2010, 9:09 PM
These are great stocks that not only dress up a 10-22, they feel great. This example was actually more accurate in the M1 carbine stock.

Caribouriver
12-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Received the stock and Tech Sights from eabco before Christmas. Here's what I discovered and mistakes I made:
1. The stock is made in Taiwan but well made. Fit with the 10/22 steel is excellent.
2. Stock is of a light colored hardwood. I got the one that has a reddish brown stain sprayed on that looks very close to the color of the real thing.
3. Finish is sprayed on and I think it is lacquer or something similar. It's thin. I added True-Oil to the barrel channel and end grain (under the butt plate) and it drank it up pretty well.
4. I waxed the stock with Tom's Triple Mix wax prior to installing the 10/22 assembly.
5. If you nick the stock, the lighter colored wood under the stain will pop through. It would have been great if the stock and hand guard were actually solid walnut.
6. The Tech Sights went on easily. Be sure you follow the amended instructions. The change in sequence is important. I did not and had to call the factory and ended up installing the sights twice.
7. Do not use brake cleaner on the Ruger receiver as I did to degrease the rear sight mounting holes. Brake cleaner appears to attack the paint finish on the aluminum receiver. A better choice is Birchwood Casey Gunscrubber.
8. That's it. Overall it looks and feels just like a M1 carbine and will cost 1/10 to shoot. Hoping to get to the range soon. I tried a friend's Butler Creek stick magazine (10 rd). It worked well and was easier to grab and cycle than the factory mags. Unfortunately, it was in clear plastic and had a bit of a "banana" shape. If it were black and straight, that would be ideal but I don't know if such an item is available.

Got10/22?
12-27-2010, 12:53 PM
I just placed my order this morning at: http://www.centerfiresystems.com/stkrug-1022-m1.aspx

Caribouriver
12-27-2010, 1:55 PM
That's a good price Got10/22?. $20 less than I paid at eabco also marked down "$20"!!. I got the Tech Sights and sling and oiler at the same time from eabco. The sights are good quality ($69 for the 200 model) and adjustable for elevation front and rear and for windage at the rear.
The oiler is really heavy gauge steel - seems way thicker than USGI oilers. The sling looks to be cotton and khaki color (I would have preferred OD) but shipping was cheaper and total cost was less if I got the whole kit and kaboodle from one source. If you got the stained stock, be prepared for battle scars. I am really pleased with the result. Yes, I nearly could have bought another blue 10/22 for the cost of the upgrade, but I'm still glad I did this

Got10/22?
12-27-2010, 2:29 PM
Yeah, just imagine this was made out of walnut it probably would've cost more for sure. This has a clear coat right? I'll be putting up my Tapco tactical stock for sale as soon I get this in the mail. Btw...I've owned my Ruger 10/22 since 1984 it's well taken care of.

I've ordered the TS 200 directly from Tech Sights (comes STANDARD with Extended National Front Post - allowing for shooting at shorter ranges) $6 for shipping.

Caribouriver
12-27-2010, 2:50 PM
Yup. It's a clear coat on top of the stain if you got the stained one. It seems clear, hard, thin and a tad brittle. I dinged mine just changing the sights despite trying not to. Oh well. Dings are bound to happen. It's like a new car (not that I've ever had one), you notice the first ding like you got t-boned. For sure it would cost more in walnut Got10/22?. No doubt. But maybe some other wood either local to Taiwan or imported from China or SE Asia that is naturally dark would be better if you want the USGI look. The machining/labor/finishing would be the same regardless of the color of the blanks. And I totally agree. If you look after most anything, it will last a good long while. I'm curious to hear what you think of the 10/22 as a M1 carbine

Got10/22?
12-27-2010, 3:31 PM
I'll keep you posted when I install it and shoot it.