PDA

View Full Version : CMP Garand question

IEShooter
12-16-2010, 8:24 PM
I'm thinking of buying a CMP Garand and wanted to get opinions on whether to get the Service or Special grade.

Since my intent is to shoot it, I'm contemplating the Special grade as I can get the "Springfield Special" with a new barrel.

This option costs $100 more, so is it worth it over the "regular" Special grade in either H&R or Springfield that they rate as excellent, almost new condition?

What's the opinions on this?

Regards,

John

t0kie
12-16-2010, 8:38 PM
Get the service grade & spend the $100 for ammo. My 2 cents.
________
WEB SHOWS (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

SanPedroShooter
12-17-2010, 5:02 AM
I agree, but my experiance is limited. Check out CMP forums.

Geodetic
12-17-2010, 7:55 AM
I'd lean towards the service grade. I have 4 service grades and 1 special. In my opinion if you want a newer and less used (or a chance at it) get an H&R M1. These were all made after Korea and generally will likely not have been banged around as much. Remember its all luck of the draw, but you can put a post-it note on your order for a certain preference. If they have your preference in arms reach supposedly they honor it. If you want a pristine presentation piece the special is the way to go. My special looked great out of the box, but it was dry as a bone so I had to field strip, grease and lube it anyway. I also used Fairtrimmers on the stock as it felt like it was fresh out of the lumber mill, and literally still had saw dust coming off. My service grades I like best. They have character.

IEShooter
12-17-2010, 8:06 AM
I'd lean towards the service grade. I have 4 service grades and 1 special. In my opinion if you want a newer and less used (or a chance at it) get an H&R M1. These were all made after Korea and generally will likely not have been banged around as much. Remember its all luck of the draw, but you can put a post-it note on your order for a certain preference. If they have your preference in arms reach supposedly they honor it. If you want a pristine presentation piece the special is the way to go. My special looked great out of the box, but it was dry as a bone so I had to field strip, grease and lube it anyway. I also used Fairtrimmers on the stock as it felt like it was fresh out of the lumber mill, and literally still had saw dust coming off. My service grades I like best. They have character.

Thanks for the reply. Their description of the Special grade is that the Springfield Armory models will have new barrels and possibly some new parts. This makes it sound like the gun may be pieced together to make a complete rifle. The descripton of the H&R, Special sounds as if the metal parts are in almost new condition with very little use and with a new stock.

This may be the route I take as I'm not so much interested in character as I am in having a Garand that is as close to originally issued condition as possible.

An unfinished stock is no problem as I'm a woodworker with plenty of experience applying finishes. A nice hand rubbed oil finish on the stock would look very nice.

Thanks again!!!

Regards,

John

AngryPossum
12-17-2010, 8:21 AM
Service Grade HRA....I was happy.
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae14/Angry_Possum/118.jpg?t=1292606397
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae14/Angry_Possum/117.jpg?t=1292606447

IEShooter
12-17-2010, 8:39 AM
Very nice looking rifle. Is that the original stock? It doesn't look new, but still looks to be in fine shape.

mls343
12-17-2010, 9:09 AM
Service Grade and Ammo would be my vote. I just received my two new HRA's on Monday. They sure are purty and are both going to be nice shooters.

Russ661
12-17-2010, 10:54 AM
The H&R service grades at $595 are a great deal. Sure they will have mixed manufacturers parts, as a rule Springfield, but it is easy enough to find a trade on the CMP site plus you stand an even chance at getting a USGI stock which is a huge plus IMO. These rifles look to be straight out of an arsenal rebuild so they are in great shape. My H&R had a SA trigger group and SA op rod; everything else was HR. Less than 3 weeks and I had traded for what I believe to be the correct H&R parts so now I have what is in all honesty a correct rifle. Not a CMP papered correct grade rifle but correct none-the-less. If you want a really nice rifle with everything correct except the stock buy the service grade special for $895. Read the CMP description: SA collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks and handguards and associated hardware are new manufacture.
Either way you can't go wrong.

IEShooter
12-17-2010, 11:19 AM
The H&R service grades at $595 are a great deal. Sure they will have mixed manufacturers parts, as a rule Springfield, but it is easy enough to find a trade on the CMP site plus you stand an even chance at getting a USGI stock which is a huge plus IMO. These rifles look to be straight out of an arsenal rebuild so they are in great shape. My H&R had a SA trigger group and SA op rod; everything else was HR. Less than 3 weeks and I had traded for what I believe to be the correct H&R parts so now I have what is in all honesty a correct rifle. Not a CMP papered correct grade rifle but correct none-the-less. If you want a really nice rifle with everything correct except the stock buy the service grade special for $895. Read the CMP description: SA collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks and handguards and associated hardware are new manufacture.
Either way you can't go wrong.

Russ,

Thanks. Within the special grade catagory, would you recommend the SAPECIAL with new barrel or the H&R or SA with original USGI barrel?

I don't care about having a "correct" rifle with matching parts. I'd prefer a new stock and a like new or new barrel.

MongooseV8
12-18-2010, 8:25 AM
I could be wrong but I think all the special grades have new barrels. I think the difference between the $895 and $995 SA Special is the later has more refinished USGI parts instead of new reproduction parts. In the general grade description it says the special grades have new barrels and stocks?

ColdDeadHands1
12-18-2010, 9:23 AM
I recommend the Service grade. 1) they are in great shape for a reasonable price. 2) I prefer holding the "history" in my hands thinking where it has been and who it has shot. New stocks and barrels take away from this IMO.

thehummerguy
12-18-2010, 11:13 AM
I own 7 or 8 CMP Garands of Various Grades...What I learned was from the CMP Forums. Regardless of the Grade you Get, The Rifle will be in Spec from the Goverment Requirments. Headspaced, TE, Muzzle wear etc....

I got a Rack Grade H&R that was ALL matching H&R parts with Grenade launching Disk on a ver Nice DAS Marked Stock for 395.00

My Winchester for 800.00 had a Stock that looked like it went through 4 or 5 world Wars...But being I had been told the wood on those Winnie's was bad, I bought the brand new stock set from CMP for 150.00 and the Rifle is Beutiful.

The H&R's are by Far the best deal at $595.00, I have several that are Minty IMHO.

I have a Blue Sky I got years ago...pretty much eats up a muzzle gauge but is a REALLY low WW2 SN....5 Digits to be exact, Gun was Re-Parked, Can hit crap with it. It's my wall hanger.

I have been buying M1's from DCM/CMP for many years...My First was 310.00, Greatest Gun Buying experinces I have had, I absolutely Love
buying from them, Better yet is when the box shows up, It's like Xmas. If those Rifles could Only talk...But in a way they do by Drawing numbers. I know that CMP is going to be releasing the Greek Air Force Returns soon if not already, What I have read is that some of those rifles
are Brand new unfired...Again, That from the CMP Forum.

thehummerguy
12-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Here is an Answer to a Question on the CMP Forum from the COO of CMP, His name is Orest, The question is "Where else are there M1's that could come back from other Country's:

Here is his response:

2) Yes, we know where the rifles were shipped - but we (CMP) do not know if they still exist there or when the country may decide they no longer need them/ It is their call.

3) At current rate of sale, and assuming we do not receive any more - we will be completely sold out in about 4 years.

IEShooter
12-18-2010, 6:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I spent some time on the CMP forum and based on my needs, a Special Grade SA that comes with a new barrel and stock seems to be the right choice.

Spendy at $1000, but it'll be the only Garand I ever own and as stated in the OP, I'm not interested in having an original USGI stock, patina, "correct" parts, etc..

I want a rifle that is in like "new" condition so I can shoot the heck out of it over the coming decades. It isn't intended to be a collector item, just a high quality rifle to shoot.

Thanks for all the advice and assistance.

Regards,

John

AngryPossum
12-19-2010, 7:54 AM
Very nice looking rifle. Is that the original stock? It doesn't look new, but still looks to be in fine shape.

It is a USGI stock (which I requested viz sticky on my order....you can request USGI stock or new CMP one) I'm not sure whether or not it is original to the rifle, but it has the correct markings and is of the correct era for my rifle, so I'm happy with it. It has a couple dings, but as you can see its in pretty good shape. I was also really happy that the hand guard matched up perfectly with the stock.

thehummerguy
12-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I spent some time on the CMP forum and based on my needs, a Special Grade SA that comes with a new barrel and stock seems to be the right choice.

Spendy at $1000, but it'll be the only Garand I ever own and as stated in the OP, I'm not interested in having an original USGI stock, patina, "correct" parts, etc..

I want a rifle that is in like "new" condition so I can shoot the heck out of it over the coming decades. It isn't intended to be a collector item, just a high quality rifle to shoot.

Regards,

John

John
I can assure with 100% confidence that a $595.00 H&R Garand from CMP will meet all the requirements you set forth, I cannot for the life of me think you will ever shoot this Garand to the point of breaking and wearing out parts.
While your Decision, I have just seen that the H&R's are in such Pristine condition that the extra 400.00 bucks is not warranted, If you were a serious Collector I might say spend the money, As most Collectors Don;t shoot the weapons as much as they collect them, if your going to shoot the heck out of it I say spend that 400.00 for AMMO from CMP after you order your Rifle...
Anyway...Good Luck.

Red Devil
12-20-2010, 12:48 AM
Save the money for ammo.

Just received two (2) Service Grades.

Asked for high serial numbers.

Got two (2) 5.8 Million serial number, '55 barrel rifles that look hardly fired.

The park is still on most of the wear surfaces.

New birch stocks.

Muzzle wear gauged 0+ and 1

Throat erosion gauge 2 on both.

Bores were clean, no pitting, sharp rifling.

At ~ 500 to 1,000 rounds per TE gauge up to 10...?

That leaves me between 4,000 and 8,000 rounds of barrel life.

Not in my lifetime...nor probably me kids.

Looks like this one w/o the park wear at the muzzle.

SanPedroShooter
12-22-2010, 7:23 AM
I have an H&R service grade on order. I had a nightmare last night that i was at a CMP "factory" and garand stocks were going by on a conveyor belt. But they werent stocks, they were great big moldy looking chunks of wood. I turned to the guy next to me and asked, "whats wrong with the stocks" and he said, "thats all we have left, you should have got your order in earlier..."

I had to send in a second form that the notary left out, so its been a month now and no gun... Most people have been getting there's in two weeks...
The waiting is starting to get to me. Especially because you are buying sight unseen, and trusting to luck, as far as the finish is concerned.

GillaFunk
12-22-2010, 2:07 PM
I ordered a service grade in April. I included a sticky that asked for a shooter with decent wood. It took 6 weeks to arrive. Its a '55 production. Quality is awesome, stock in great condition, metal shows very low wear for age. After a 5rdn sight it, she shot pretty well too, even if I hadnt shot open sights in years, and it was my first big .30-06 shoot. I hear some of the field grades arent bad either.

(sorry for hokey pics)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs564.snc3/30811_577439409963_33206574_33725593_5361839_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs564.snc3/30811_577439380023_33206574_33725588_2782361_n.jpg

I'll be ordering a special grade and one more service grade within the next 6 months. Prolly pick up a few more later on down the road as well.

IEShooter
12-27-2010, 12:46 PM

After thinking it over, I decided to get a H&R Service grade special. It costs a bit more than a regular service grade, but by all accounts is essentially a "like new" rifle, which is what I want.

I sent off all my forms today, so I'll hopefully be shooting it by the end of January!!! I'll post some pics when she arrives.

Thanks again!!!