PDA

View Full Version : Using the copy of 03 FFL at a gun store

nick
12-16-2010, 9:00 PM
I'm plannig to drive to J&G Sales tomorrow. I can't find the original of my 03 FFL, but I do have about 30 or 40 color copies of it, some of them signed. Has anyone used a copy of the 03 FFL in such circumstances, and is it even ok to do so?

TIA

EBR Works
12-16-2010, 9:03 PM
Give them a copy signed by you in red ink. That will work.

nick
12-16-2010, 9:09 PM
Give them a copy signed by you in red ink. That will work.

Perfect, thank you. I'll just take a few copies with me, and sign them in whatever ink they want.

jamesob
12-16-2010, 9:13 PM
thats all you give is a copy.

Spyduh
12-16-2010, 9:15 PM
You never give away the original and only give away copies. The original is stored away in a safe place until the day you decide you don't want your C&R FFL 03 any more and return it back to ATF.

morrcarr67
12-16-2010, 9:41 PM
I'm plannig to drive to J&G Sales tomorrow. I can't find the original of my 03 FFL, but I do have about 30 or 40 color copies of it, some of them signed. Has anyone used a copy of the 03 FFL in such circumstances, and is it even ok to do so?

TIA

You might be out of luck. When I drove out to J&G for the first time I had C&R in hand and CC in pocket. When I got there they told me that they would sell me the gun but I could not take it home with me. They had to verify my FFL and that took a couple of days to do. They said that I could by the gun and ship it home to myself once they verified my FFL. Of course they were the ones doing the shipping for me.. Good luck.

Jesse

Mssr. Eleganté
12-16-2010, 9:49 PM
You might be out of luck. When I drove out to J&G for the first time I had C&R in hand and CC in pocket. When I got there they told me that they would sell me the gun but I could not take it home with me. They had to verify my FFL and that took a couple of days to do. They said that I could by the gun and ship it home to myself once they verified my FFL. Of course they were the ones doing the shipping for me.. Good luck.

Jesse

That's one of the reasons you should send out copies of your FFL to all of the vendors you can think of as soon as you receive your FFL. C&R FFLs can't be authenticated online like other types of FFLs. The vendor has to call ATF on the phone to authenticate an 03 FFL. If the vendor is busy or if ATF is busy they might not get you verified for several hours. If your FFL was already on file with J&G then you could walk right in and start buying if you ever drove there.

Databyter
12-16-2010, 9:51 PM

Jesse

I thought .gov had a FFL database with online access. And how hard is a phone call for that matter.

Sounds like b.s. to me.

Of course once you go through it once with them, you can probably use them in the future without the wait.

ke6guj
12-17-2010, 12:22 AM
I thought .gov had a FFL database with online access. And how hard is a phone call for that matter.

Sounds like b.s. to me.

Of course once you go through it once with them, you can probably use them in the future without the wait.

ATF does have the EZ-check website, but you can't check 03FFLs with it. You used to, but some C&R FFLs complained that by having 03FFL info easily accessable, it was a potential security breach, so ATF removed 03's from the ez-check system. So, you have to call ATF to check, and I assume that they are running east coast hours, so I could see J&G having an issue checking after 2PM or on weekends.

Ron-Solo
12-17-2010, 1:46 AM
I LOVE J&G Sales.

My 03 was already on file so i didn't have any issues.

It's easy to spend lots of $$$$$$ there.

nick
12-17-2010, 2:20 AM
Just sent them an email with the copy of my 03 FFL and asking them to verify it with ATF in the morning. I'll call them in the morning and see if they can do that. Thanks for the info, guys, could've been a frustrating trip, if not for you.

-hanko
12-17-2010, 7:11 AM
Has anyone used a copy of the 03 FFL in such circumstances, and is it even ok to do so?
Did you read the info package the ATF sent you??:confused:

You always use a copy, never the original.

-hanko

nick
12-17-2010, 7:37 AM
Did you read the info package the ATF sent you??:confused:

You always use a copy, never the original.

-hanko

I meant if I would be asked to actually show the original when coming in person. I don't know if you've noticed, but gun store requirements tend to be far from uniform, and aren't always rational. I figured that there was no harm in asking those who've already done it. Given the useful information I got from this thread, some of which wasn't even a direct answer to my question, but it was something I wouldn't have thought of unless I've done this before, asking was a good idea indeed. Sorry to've disappointed you by doing so :p

Databyter
12-17-2010, 10:07 AM
You used to, but some C&R FFLs complained that by having 03FFL info easily accessable, it was a potential security breach,

I don't see the point of that argument (I know it's not yours).

It seems like they shot themselves in their own foot by being nit picky about a minor issue for a small amount of people, and making other 03's deal with a less efficient and streamlined approach.

nick
12-17-2010, 10:26 AM
i got a reply from JG saying that they don't call ATF to verify 03 FFLs and just having my FFL and a DL is enough. We'll see how it goes. I'm posting from the car (and no, i'm not driving).

EBR Works
12-17-2010, 10:32 AM
What goodies are you planning to get at J&G?

morrcarr67
12-17-2010, 11:32 AM
i got a reply from JG saying that they don't call ATF to verify 03 FFLs and just having my FFL and a DL is enough. We'll see how it goes. I'm posting from the car (and no, i'm not driving).

Good deal. have fun shopping :43:

ke6guj
12-17-2010, 1:03 PM
I don't see the point of that argument (I know it's not yours).

It seems like they shot themselves in their own foot by being nit picky about a minor issue for a small amount of people, and making other 03's deal with a less efficient and streamlined approach.

the point of the arguement was that if I could access a list of 03FFLs, either by messing around with the EZ-check system, or ordering a CD that had the 03FFLs listed, I would have a list of private citizens that most likely had guns, lots of guns. If I was a bad guy, having that list where I could probably find guns would be great. I could case the house to see when they were gone and then break in an would probably find some guns, with not the best security in the world. Whereas, you know a gun store is gonna have better security than most 03FFLs.

nick
12-17-2010, 7:54 PM
What goodies are you planning to get at J&G?

A few handguns (hence the trip), and I want to pick one or two of their K-31s. I didn't make it there before they closed, so I'm staying in Prescott and will stop by there in the morning.

Prescott looks like a nice place.

Toyman321
12-17-2010, 9:47 PM
Enjoy Prescott, I was out there two months ago, I don't remember the name of the saloon we ate at but it was directly across the street from the court house on Whiskey Row (I think thats what it was called). I don't remember the name of a saloon but there was a lot of really neat history in there.

If you're already on file at J&G you wont have to have your 03 with you, just an ID. The staff were all really great when I was there..... man now you have me wanting to plan a return trip :)

nick
12-18-2010, 8:12 PM
Alright, I'm back. It was a good trip.

Not sure what saloon you're talking about, but there sure were plenty of people looking for one :)

J&G was very nice. The sales people were friendly and didn't mind me going through something like half of their inventory (or in case of Lee Enfields, all of their inventory) in search of that one gun. Good place.

I got a walnut stock K-31 with a matching bayonet, a couple of ex-Dragood 91/30 Mosins (and missed one round receiver Mosin with a beautiful red stock. I told the guy who was selling it to a young (about 15, I'd say, but he was probably 18 :)) gentleman that if he finds another one or two of those, I'll take them. Unfortunately, after going through the upwards of 10 of Mosins he couldn't find one with that kind of stock), a nice (believe it or not) Longbranch Lee Enfield No 4 Mk I, and a couple of Yugo M57s in a great condition with pristine bores. I was also hoping to get a CZ-82 in a better condition that the one I have (great internals, lots of wear on the outside), but they were out of hand select ones, and the ones they did have had the usual wear on the outside, so no improvement over what I have. I also hoped for pre-1918 M1895 Nagants, but the ones they had were all from around the 1940's.

There was no problem with the 03 FFL. I brought them a copy, they had me sign it, added it to my account (it took about 10 min), checked my ID, and that was it.

Overall, a productive trip, and a nice place to visit (both J&G and Prescott). I have a feeling I'll be there again shortly.

OHOD
12-18-2010, 9:01 PM
Glad your trip went well!
I am planning on doing the exact same thing you did, probably next summer when I go to Vegas.
This thread is like Gold!

mosinnagantm9130
12-18-2010, 9:32 PM
Pics or it didn't happen!:D

pullnshoot25
12-18-2010, 9:34 PM
Yes, pictures!

I can't wait to go there...

nick
12-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Pics or it didn't happen!:D

It didn't happen :p

morrcarr67
12-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Just be glad Prescott is not closer. Or, we all could be in big trouble. :43:

nick
12-19-2010, 1:51 PM
Just be glad Prescott is not closer. Or, we all could be in big trouble. :43:

Nah, it would just save us a bunch of money :)

nick
12-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Just noticed that the Izhevsk ex-Dragoon I got from J&G is MO triple date marked (the other one is MO double date marked). I thought both were double date marked, didn't notice the third date at the store. Life's good :)

mosinnagantm9130
12-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Just noticed that the Izhevsk ex-Dragoon I got from J&G is MO triple date marked (the other one is MO double date marked). I thought both were double date marked, didn't notice the third date at the store. Life's good :)

I thought you said it didn't happen!:p

Seriously though, good scores.

nick
12-20-2010, 12:02 AM
I thought you said it didn't happen!:p

Seriously though, good scores.

I took the easy way out :)

I'm having buyer's remorse. I should've gotten through more of their stock and picked up a couple of more Mosins. Then again, I have a lot of cosmoline to clean out as it is.

morrcarr67
12-20-2010, 7:45 AM
We want pictures!:biggrinjester:

Blaze Kenobi
12-26-2010, 4:07 AM
How far is Prescott from the border of Kommifornia? Thinking of going there myself! It didn't happen!!!!:p

ke6guj
01-17-2011, 11:57 PM
How far is Prescott from the border of Kommifornia? Thinking of going there myself! It didn't happen!!!!:phttp://maps.yahoo.com

Anchors
01-18-2011, 12:51 AM
Alright, I'm back. It was a good trip.

Not sure what saloon you're talking about, but there sure were plenty of people looking for one :)

J&G was very nice. The sales people were friendly and didn't mind me going through something like half of their inventory (or in case of Lee Enfields, all of their inventory) in search of that one gun. Good place.

I got a walnut stock K-31 with a matching bayonet, a couple of ex-Dragood 91/30 Mosins (and missed one round receiver Mosin with a beautiful red stock. I told the guy who was selling it to a young (about 15, I'd say, but he was probably 18 :)) gentleman that if he finds another one or two of those, I'll take them. Unfortunately, after going through the upwards of 10 of Mosins he couldn't find one with that kind of stock), a nice (believe it or not) Longbranch Lee Enfield No 4 Mk I, and a couple of Yugo M57s in a great condition with pristine bores. I was also hoping to get a CZ-82 in a better condition that the one I have (great internals, lots of wear on the outside), but they were out of hand select ones, and the ones they did have had the usual wear on the outside, so no improvement over what I have. I also hoped for pre-1918 M1895 Nagants, but the ones they had were all from around the 1940's.

There was no problem with the 03 FFL. I brought them a copy, they had me sign it, added it to my account (it took about 10 min), checked my ID, and that was it.

Overall, a productive trip, and a nice place to visit (both J&G and Prescott). I have a feeling I'll be there again shortly.

Sounds awesome. I still say pics...
I like Prescott, not much going on (that is what I like about it).