PDA

View Full Version : Russisan SKS question

IEShooter
12-16-2010, 7:09 PM
I recently bought a Yugo SKS and want to get a Russian one to round out the collection. I have a line on two that are virtually identical. One has a laminated stock and the other a hardwood stock.

Both are in simliar condition.

Personally, I like the look of the hardwood stock a bit better, but have heard some folks prefer the laminated.

As a woodworker, I'm aware that a laminated stock is less prone to splitting or other wood movement, but aside from that, what is the attraction?

Any other tips on what to look for (or look out for) on a Russian SKS?

Thanks in advance??

Oh, one final question. How would the seller confirm my C&R FFL is in fact valid? I know they can't check ATF online, but can they call?

Haggar85
12-16-2010, 8:37 PM
make sure the crown is in good shape for one. check and make sure its not rusty internally, including the gas tube. other than that there are really minor differences between yugo and russian. i think Russian ones have a chrome bore and i know some of the parts on Russian ones are stamped.

morrcarr67
12-16-2010, 8:49 PM
Personally, I like the look of the hardwood stock a bit better, but have heard some folks prefer the laminated.

As a woodworker, I'm aware that a laminated stock is less prone to splitting or other wood movement, but aside from that, what is the attraction?

For me it just comes down to what you like better. I like both types of stocks. I would have to see them. If I were buying sight unseen I would probably buy the hardwood one.

Oh, one final question. How would the seller confirm my C&R FFL is in fact valid? I know they can't check ATF online, but can they call?

They can call the BATF Licensing Dept. @ 404-417-2750 to verify your FFL.

Jerkdog
12-16-2010, 8:54 PM
A laminated stock usually means it's an arsenal refurb...is the bolt painted black? Anyway, as you probably know, the resulting laminated material is stronger than the original wood, free from internal defects, and resistant to warping from heat or moisture.

Down side? The laminated stocks are supposedly a bit heavier than hardwood, but I honestly can't tell the difference between my hardwood Romanian and my laminated Romanian.