PDA

View Full Version : north american hunting club SCAM!!!

Eastwood
12-16-2010, 6:12 PM
I just want everyone to know that the North American Hunting Club is a scam. I got a letter in the mail a couple of months ago from them. In short it said, scratch here to see if you won. So I scratched. It said I won 3 gifts, so hey that's cool. I can join for $12.00 a year for a hunting knife and some other things. The $12.00 a year isn't bad for 12 issues of their monthly magazine also. So I feel it out and send in the card. Then I get a letter back saying that if I pay $36.00 for 3 years I get all 3 of the gifts. Now wait a minute, I thought I already won the gifts. Why do I have to pay $36.00 in order to get the stuff I already won? I looked all over both letters to make sure I didn't miss anything. Nope, no where does it have any condition where I have to join for more then one year to claim my 3 gifts. You don't win anything, it's just another rip off. But it doesn't stop there. A few days ago, I get a book in the mail that I did not order called, "Whitetail Wisdom." Now apparently I owe the "hunting club" $25.00 for the book. Hello, I live in California. They could have at least sent me a book on Blacktail. Instead they scam me into buying some crappy Whitetail deer book. This forum is made up of a lot of hunters and if you haven't already received your letter from them, and you probably will at some point. Don't fall for it. Don't join the North American Hunting Club!

duckman1
12-16-2010, 6:49 PM
You need to reread your membership information. By joining you gave permission to have items shipped to you for review and purchase. If you don't like it send it back, you can also notify the org. to stop sending you items. I have been a llife member for 12 years and have received several items to field test, they have been of good quality. I enjoy the magazine and bullentin boards. You might want to review and make some changes to your post.

zerohour714
12-16-2010, 6:55 PM
Eastwood, I am in the same boat! Although my first book was on mule deer :-) either way they keep nickel and dimeing you to get the next "free" gift. Oh well, If i remember correctly you can cancel your subscription within the first year and get your money back. That's what I am planning on doing.

olhunter
12-17-2010, 11:51 AM
You need to reread your membership information. By joining you gave permission to have items shipped to you for review and purchase. If you don't like it send it back, you can also notify the org. to stop sending you items. I have been a llife member for 12 years and have received several items to field test, they have been of good quality. I enjoy the magazine and bullentin boards. You might want to review and make some changes to your post.

Ok, so what about his 3 gifts? What's the explanation for that?

duckman1
12-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Have not seen his offer. Has he read the membership agreement?

Bearclaw
12-17-2010, 4:05 PM
Read what Duckman1 said. He's right. I am also a member of NAHC. I don't get the books because I made sure to let them know that I didn't want them sent. Also, you just have to realize exactly what your getting and take it for what it is. It's a great magazine for $12.00 a year. Period. If you get anything else out of the club, I look at it as a bonus (field test gear, Cabela's discounts, topo map discounts, etc.) All of these things I try to take advantage of as much as possible. Heck, just the discounts alone have more than paid for my membership. But it is a really good magazine, and that's really all you're buying.

Eastwood
12-17-2010, 4:43 PM
I cancelled my membership today. The north american hunting scammers are not getting anymore of my money. If they wanted to keep me happy they shouldn't have used trickery or deceptive tactics to introduce me to their "club."

P.S. they're magazine is not that impressive. Sportsmen beware

180ls1
12-17-2010, 6:41 PM
Ya i really dont like their tactics of getting money, they really could be more professional about it.

TrailerparkTrash
12-17-2010, 10:54 PM
I cancelled my membership today. The north american hunting scammers are not getting anymore of my money. If they wanted to keep me happy they shouldn't have used trickery or deceptive tactics to introduce me to their "club."

P.S. they're magazine is not that impressive. Sportsmen beware

"Lighten up Francis!"
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/B65mtE2TN1w/0.jpg
Sgt. Hulka, "Stripes"

It is a great club and the magazine kicks @zz! I think the articles and features are BETTER than the NRA's "American Hunter" or "American Rifleman" publications for that matter.

Yes, I'm an Endowment member of the NRA and also LIFE member of NAHC. Read what duckman1 said. NAHC tried to send me some stuff that I didint' want and I simply called them and cancelled. Then I got a letter stating that I owed them money. One more call and the person I spoke to was very appologetic and fixed the problem immediately.

No other SNAFU's or hassle. They do send me items to test and evaluate and when a member evaluates the gear, the member gets to KEEP IT!!! For FREE! So far, I've tested a 2 man dome tent, portable lantern, portable head light and some Gortex hunting gloves. All good quality stuff!

Read your membership info and fix the problem. I'm guessing that you've only been a member of NAHC for around 5 minutes and your slamming them? Give them the opportunity to make it right and you won't be sorry. For $12-13bucks a year, it's a great inexpensive club to stay informed and read great articles.
:D:D

spectr17
12-18-2010, 12:22 PM
In my opinion one of the biggest scams out there in the hunting community. If you read the mouse type you agree to be solicited when you sign up. They should be up front and tell you that you are joining a book/trinket a month club. My first book they sent was about elk and the pages fell out of the jacket when I opened it. It took a letter from a lawyer to get them off my back for the payments they wanted when they threatened to turn me over to collections. They also operate the NAFC (North American Fishing Club) and NAGC (Gardening Club). They took my dad when he signed up for the NAFC. The books were not that great, not anything I would have purchased if I had know ahead of time.

Their member reviews are all 3 and 4 stars, not really objective. How many pieces of gear have your tried that were all good or great? Where are the klunkers?

Most of the positive reviews you'll see are from life members who got sucked in for a leather jacket for joining. Just Google NAHC and you'll see what the majority think. They do have a nice big fancy booth at the trade shows to suck even more members in. Last I heard the company was owned by a Euro group, they aren't even North American.

Your money is better spent joining your state archery org or Cal Guns IMHO.

chris
12-19-2010, 11:13 AM
i was member many years ago. never tested anything and their magazine was crap nothing here out west and all back east whitetail hunting. i did not like them at all. they sent coins to me that i did not want. i called them and canceled my membership many years ago.

CACitUP
12-19-2010, 1:54 PM
Any business that relies on small print to justify their business tactics should be looked upon with suspicion. I have been hunting for a long time and have never heard anything positive about NAHC (Until now :rolleyes:). Spend your time and money on local clubs and organizations. Your time and dollars will be much better served.

Butthead
12-19-2010, 3:01 PM
I would rather not give any of my money to a company that chooses to run its business like that. Got my letter last week and I was a winner as well (surprize). No thanks.

fastpowerstroker
12-19-2010, 5:14 PM
Sounds just like one of those old cd club scams. 10 free cd's to join. Then the next one they send you cost more than at the music store, you forget to send it back, yada, yada, yada. In your case though, you didn't recieve the free sign up bonus and thats not right. Thanks for the heads up.

damon1272
12-19-2010, 5:45 PM
I consider the NAHC a scam also. Went through some of the same things. Any business that relies on sending you crap then trying to bill is not worth doing business with. With the book you have to pay for teh return shipping for an item you never wanted in the first place. By the way the knives they send are junk. All they would do is get you hurt if you used them in the field. I advise to stay away from NAHC as they run their business like a scam, because it is.

AAShooter
12-19-2010, 6:09 PM
Sounds like to old record clubs.

MontClaire
12-19-2010, 6:22 PM
you are not responsible for unsolicited mail. don't have to pay for the book. just call them and say: cancel, remove from list, refund and never contact me again.

ro442173
12-19-2010, 6:27 PM
I remenber getting that last year. Same exact thing... won the prizes. Anyways, because I had never heard of these people and I don't understand why they would have my info, I just threw it in the trash.

Going by your story, looks like it was a good move on my behalf.

spectr17
12-19-2010, 8:49 PM
you are not responsible for unsolicited mail. don't have to pay for the book. just call them and say: cancel, remove from list, refund and never contact me again.

Well, that's the scam in most people's opinion. If you read the mouse type you agree to be solicited when you sign up. That's how they legally can send you the books and then demand payment. It's not unsolicited if you agree to it.