PDA

View Full Version : AW legal question.

maschronic
07-18-2006, 11:27 PM
i got a question for everyone.

i have a friend who has some bushmasters AR's in the 90's. when the AW ban came out, he registered his AR's. now, he ran into some trouble with the law. he's AW's are currently held at a gun store to be sold out of state.

can he send his AR's to his family and get the AW's back once he gets all the charges cleared??

after all, he is the registered owner of the AW's.

my thoughts are this. if he sends the AR's to his family in texas, i'm assuming that the AR's has to be registered to their name. once the title has been transferred to someone else, he can not get them back. those are my thoughts.

what are your thought??

Hunter
07-18-2006, 11:55 PM
I agree with you on having the guns transfered in title. Now my thoughts would be the following to avoid transfer if it is still possible:

Assuming he can currently still have firearms (i.e. legal troubles donot prevent it), I would retrieve the AW from the gun store first. Second I would travel to NV, OR, or AZ to personally get the weapons out of the state, as no one else can take possesion of them here in CA. Then I would have the rifles shipped to himself in c/o his parents address. His parents will be able to receive the packages, but he should be the one to actually open up the packages when he shows up there in the future for the hunting or target shooting trip he has been planning:D . What does this avoid? Well if he tries to ship from within CA, it has to go thru a AW dealer only and that dealer will only want to ship it to another FFL dealer as well and then the transfer. Now when his legal troubles are over, he will have to personally travel to his parents to retrieve the packages with the AW and personnally bring them back. He will not be able to ship them via common carrier. So it means driving or flying only.

kantstudien
07-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Is he ineligible to own firearms right now? If so, then he would have to relinquish ownership of his AWs (and other firearms), and then he would not be able to get them back in to state (unless currently legal to purchase).

If he just wants to keep them with his family out of state while he gets things sorted out, that should be no problem since there will be no transfer of ownership. His family will simply be "storing" his AWs for him. He could get them back once the smoke clears.

What is his "situation?"

maschronic
07-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Is he ineligible to own firearms right now? If so, then he would have to relinquish ownership of his AWs (and other firearms), and then he would not be able to get them back in to state (unless currently legal to purchase).

If he just wants to keep them with his family out of state while he gets things sorted out, that should be no problem since there will be no transfer of ownership. His family will simply be "storing" his AWs for him. He could get them back once the smoke clears.

What is his "situation?"

currently, he can not posses/own any firearm. he is going thru court to get his case settled. once he gets the case settled, he will be able to own firearms again.....should be.

do you think its possible to keep the bushy AR's at the gun store and pay the monthly fees until his court case is settled...and then get the bushy's back? you think is the a possiblity? i'm just thinking out loud here.

bwiese
07-19-2006, 12:54 AM
His lawyer can arrange holding for them and should look into this.

Jicko
07-19-2006, 11:54 AM
If he is "already" in legal trouble.... he really shouldn't be taking "legal" advices from an online forum.... go talk to his lawyer...

SFV_Dealer
07-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Very well said guys - only a lawyer can assist in the legal storage of firearms for their client. Remember the Harrott case that came as a result ? Maybe something landmark will happen again ?? Just hoping...
Well we store guns for clients of attorneys while the case is going thru the courts....