PDA

View Full Version : Favorite hunting spot or story

Clay_Bigs_WFP
12-16-2010, 5:38 PM
Just kinda curious what peoples favorite hunting spot or story might be. I understand many of you probably don't want to give your hunting spot away, but I'm new to hunting so I thought I'd ask. If anything maybe just suggestions? And if you have a good story I'd love to hear it.

GlockBlocker
12-16-2010, 6:44 PM
How about favorite fishing spots? Here's a picture of my favorite little secret fishing spot. Can't tell ya where it's at though, I wouldn't want people to find out.

http://www.alaska-in-pictures.com/data/media/5/combat-fishing_2273.jpg

CACitUP
12-16-2010, 6:46 PM
Hey, I recognize that river, its "pick any river on the Kenai".......dont worry, all those guys can keep a secret.

duckman1
12-16-2010, 6:51 PM
That's me in the plaid.

Fjold
12-16-2010, 7:18 PM
Namibia

From my Africa post in the Hunting section:

We continue on and a few hills later I hear the tap on the roof and See Yen says “Zebra”. About of a mile away there is a herd of 20-25 mares and half grown young at the top of a long sloping valley. We stop and load up and start working our way back up the hill quartering into the wind. About halfway up the valley I see tails flashing off to our right, I hiss and everyone stops in their tracks. I point them out and we see that the herd has drifted downwind about 400 yards and we are about to pass them. See Yen taps me on the shoulder and says “Very good”. I feel ten feet tall!

We work our way down the thorn bush covered slope while the herd grazes slowly up the far hill side. At the last thorn bush on our side Francois point and says “There, about 100 yards to the right of the mares, lower down in the brush is the stallion”. He ranges the stallion and says “How far can you shoot?” and I tell him 300 yards. He says “Good, if we can make it to the two trees up ahead we will have a shot.” We single file down hill while the whole herd watches us but they stand and we make it behind a tall tree. Francois sets up the shooting sticks and says “302 yards”. I’m thinking that I should have told him 250 but it’s to late now. I get on the sticks but I’ve got a branch from a dead tree about 100 yards in front of us in the way. I tell Francois and he moves the sticks to the left side of the tree. I get on the sticks and can feel the wind pushing me hard from the left.

Francois says “Travel up the front leg, on the shoulder there is a white triangle outlined in black, put the bullet in the top of the white. Hold ten inches into the wind.” I don’t feel comfortable and tell Francois. Then I picked up the sticks and moved them 2 feet to the right and a foot forward and that puts my right elbow (I’m left handed) against the tree trunk and makes me a lot more solid.

I see the grass on the far slope laying over pretty good in the wind so I hold two full black strips back and halfway between the top of the triangle and the stallion’s top line. I don’t even feel the shot go off. I just lose the zebra in the scope on the recoil, I find myself back on the sticks and my left hand is driving the bolt forward, chambering another round. The stallion has spun 180 degrees and what I see makes me feel sick. There is a big splotch of red back in the middle of the ribcage. I have hit him too far back! The ranch hand says something in Afrikaans and I can tell that he’s not happy. The zebra circles up hill but he can’t make it and turns again down hill. His right foreleg is not working correctly and he can’t pull himself up the hill. I’m aiming to put another bullet in him and Francois says “Nya, Nya, is good. He’s dead, don’t shoot him again!” The stallion again tries to circle uphill but he can’t make it and crashes over on his side.

Everyone shakes my hand and I’m limp with relief. I tell Francois that that is way too far for a first shot and he says “No, you are a varmint hunter. I knew you would make it.”

Abesnake
12-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Hey, I recognize that river, its "pick any river on the Kenai".......dont worry, all those guys can keep a secret.

When I was up there everybody on the Kenai were in boats. Even if you don't get any fish you have to be able to move faster than the brown bears I saw. Must be in Cali.:D

Hunt
12-17-2010, 12:13 AM

yes indeed

tony270
12-17-2010, 8:18 AM
That's area almost looks like the area after the spillway at Lake Oroville.

Clay_Bigs_WFP
12-17-2010, 11:19 AM
That's me in the plaid.

If it real is that's a badass shirt:cool:

professionalcoyotehunter
12-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Too many great stories in my reputua. maybe someday over some cold brews I will share them with you.

Clay_Bigs_WFP
12-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Too many great stories in my reputua. maybe someday over some cold brews I will share them with you.

Sounds good to me. If you are ever heading through Ventura county let me know.

professionalcoyotehunter
12-17-2010, 1:49 PM
I fish out of Ventura a few times a year. I also buy quite a few guns there. I will let you know the next time I roll through.

tony270
12-17-2010, 2:26 PM
This is just a small sample of what it looks on Feather River in August and September, the area is called the Oroville Wild Life Area. The pool near those fishing has hundreds of people casting for salmon. This area has divers who for a cash donation will volunteer to dive down with scuba gear to unhook a snag .

http://www.featherriversports.com/misc/salmon%20fishing_320.jpg

Clay_Bigs_WFP
12-18-2010, 2:34 PM
This is just a small sample of what it looks on Feather River in August and September, the area is called the Oroville Wild Life Area. The pool near those fishing has hundreds of people casting for salmon. This area has divers who for a cash donation will volunteer to dive down with scuba gear to unhook a snag .

http://www.featherriversports.com/misc/salmon%20fishing_320.jpg

Wow. That is incredible! Divers thatll get a snag. Never heard of anything like that, but that's awesome. What is it like the rest of the year?