PDA

View Full Version : Turlock Walmart Tons of .22LR and other calibers

offrdmania
12-16-2010, 2:08 PM
I was in there today and there are .22LR in 550, 525, 333, 100 and 50 count boxes. Federal, Remington, CCI, etc. The shelf is packed tight. Also there were 9mm, 40SW, .223, 30-06, etc. Definitely a surplus now.

Izzy43
12-16-2010, 2:54 PM
Perhaps in anticipation of Feb 2011. Maybe walmart is trying to sell as much as they can before the ban on handgun ammo. My local guy at the walmart still doesn't know what will happen in Feb, sell, don't sell, sell some and not others. A mystery at this point.

RawImpact
12-16-2010, 4:33 PM
Hey guys forgive my ignorance but is 22LR going to be included in that ruling?

Izzy43
12-16-2010, 7:33 PM
The ruling is for Handgun ammunition and 22lr certainly can be used in a handgun although I am not sure that a decision has been made about 22lr or 22 magnum ammo. I am just hedging my bets in case it is. I have been purchasing 22lr ammo for about a year in anticipation that I may not be able to buy it online after Feb 2011. Perhaps others on this forum know more about it than I do. Not trying to start a rumor, just covering my 6 o'clock.

RipVanWinkle
12-17-2010, 4:50 AM
The ruling is for Handgun ammunition and 22lr certainly can be used in a handgun although I am not sure that a decision has been made about 22lr or 22 magnum ammo. I am just hedging my bets in case it is. I have been purchasing 22lr ammo for about a year in anticipation that I may not be able to buy it online after Feb 2011. Perhaps others on this forum know more about it than I do. Not trying to start a rumor, just covering my 6 o'clock.

Izzy, I noticed that my local Big 5 store has gotten a lot more .22 ammo in stock, so I was asking the clerk if that was in anticipation of big sales leading up to AB 962 going into effect. We were joined by the manager or asst. manager. I know everybody likes to bash gun store personnel, but this fellow was pretty knowledgeable. He said that the only reason they were stocking more ammo was because they just couldn't get enough during the shortage over the last year, and now it's more available.

As far as the new law, he said that his store is planning on doing business as (almost) usual. I asked him about the fingerprinting and I.D. requirements, and he said he feels that they can work within those requirements. He said that they had been talking to Walgreen's since they have to do something similar with respect to non-prescription cold medicine because dopers use it to manufacture meth. I guess there is some law requiring recording I.D.s, etc. when more than one jar of that stuff is bought. I didn't bother to go into more detail, just paid for my $19 bricks of CCI Blazer and left, but he seemed to be fairly confident that they would plunge ahead with sales and see what develops.

Online sales might be a much bigger problem! I only care about .22 rimfire because I reload everything else that I shoot, and I've got enough components to last a lifetime (which, in my case, probably ain't all that long!). And that's my scuttlebutt for today.:)