PDA

View Full Version : measuring groups in rimfire shooting?

mzimmers
12-15-2010, 4:30 PM
Hey, guys -

I'm preparing an article on the Ruger 10/22 in various configurations. I know nothing about the world of rimfire competition, though. When people measure groups in rimfire shooting, do they go center-to-center, or edge-to-edge?

Thanks.

Izzy43
12-15-2010, 4:32 PM
Everyone I know, rimfire or centerfire measures it edge to edge then subtracts the bullet diameter for the group measurement.

mzimmers
12-15-2010, 4:34 PM
OK, so it's essentially a center-to-center measurement? Thanks. The reason I asked is I know the rimfire folks do some stuff a little differently. In centerfire, when a shot is on the border between two scores, you're given credit for the higher (inner) number. I watched some rimfire scorers once, though, and they did it the opposite way.

Izzy43
12-15-2010, 5:14 PM
In centerfire, when a shot is on the border between two scores, you're given credit for the higher (inner) number. I watched some rimfire scorers once, though, and they did it the opposite way.

That's different than measuring groups. I think most rimfire shooters use the same method you are talking about here for scoring a target. With the exception of the X ring. In the X ring, none of the bullet hole can be out of the X for the shot to be counted as an X. Can get confusing, huh? Happy Holidays.

scootle
12-15-2010, 5:23 PM
One other little method I ran into, that makes a lot of sense to me for measuring group size, is to take 5 shots, then only use the closest 3 shots to make the actual group measurement. Group size, in many ways, is an exercise in statistics and probability, so taking the best 3 of 5 helps to mitigate some aspects of shooter technique as well as the inherent statistics that increase group size as you shoot more bullets.

Good luck with the article! Do let us know when you publish it. :)

PS X-ring shots are only used as a tie-breaker when scoring, btw... they are typically still counted as 10 points each, then if there is a tie, the shooter with more straight X's gets the edge.

mzimmers
12-15-2010, 5:50 PM
That's different than measuring groups. I think most rimfire shooters use the same method you are talking about here for scoring a target. With the exception of the X ring. In the X ring, none of the bullet hole can be out of the X for the shot to be counted as an X. Can get confusing, huh? Happy Holidays.

Ah, OK...that must have been what I observed. They were using these little dinky targets that I'd only dream of hitting with my hunting rifles. Thanks for the clarification and happy holidaze back at ya...

mzimmers
12-23-2010, 12:25 PM
OK, guys...you get a sneak preview at the article. It's only a draft, so please be candid and tell me what you think needs improvement.

The page is at:

The Article (http://www.scopedin.com/articles/equipment-tests/customizing-the-ruger-1022/)

You need a password, and it is (of course) "calguns".

Let me know what you think...

dangerranger
12-24-2010, 11:22 PM
Good article! your custom was well thought out using topshelf pieces. the only negitive that stuck out at me was in about the third paragraph, I belive its Marlins sales pitch that they have the worlds most popular 22 rifle. DR

DirtNapKing
12-25-2010, 12:14 AM
The only real mystery to me in these results is that the stock Carbine rifle outperformed the KID trigger using the “cheaper” ammunition. I have no explanation for this, and can only attribute it to random variation (and the fact that I was still getting used to this trigger in the early stages of testing).
Just goes to show that one can easily enjoy a stock carbine minus the bling. ;)

Even though I preach that a stock 10-22 only needs a decent trigger job I myself have a hard time keeping the rifles in there original configuration. I will PM you with details of my latest 10-22 project at a more decent hour. Nice write up BTW. I love the KIDD candy! Mary is a God send! They go the extra mile over there in Texas.

Izzy43
12-25-2010, 1:50 PM
OK, guys...you get a sneak preview at the article. It's only a draft, so please be candid and tell me what you think needs improvement.

The page is at:

The Article (http://www.scopedin.com/articles/equipment-tests/customizing-the-ruger-1022/)

You need a password, and it is (of course) "calguns".

Let me know what you think...

Sent you a PM.

CSACANNONEER
12-25-2010, 2:03 PM
Groups are always measured center to center. That doesn't mean that one can't measure outside edge to inside edge or outside edge to outside edge and then subtract the bullet dia. Those are all just different ways of measureing center to center.