PDA

View Full Version : anyone using an angled spotter for hunting

Hunt
12-15-2010, 2:53 PM
CameraLand is running a smokin deal on some Kruger optics so I bit like a big fish. Bought a 15x45x60 apo fluorite glass angled spotter for $179.00.
Wonder if the angled aspect will hurt the huntin' never used one?

aaronraby1
12-15-2010, 2:59 PM
why would it be bad? im sure youll adjust.

FLIGHT762
12-15-2010, 3:12 PM
I use my angled eyepiece on the range, I just haven't got out to use it hunting yet. It has it's advantages of being to look without straining your neck. It gets a little getting used to but it can be used.

The only cons I see are using it mounted to a window mount when glassing from your vehicle and it is a bit difficult at first, to find your target since you aren't directly behind it.

I haven't tried mine yet from the car. My eyepiece can be spun around to a different angle and I've found it can be used in different positions. I like it when glassing from the side rather than having to be directly behind it to glass.

Ahhnother8
12-15-2010, 3:20 PM
I use my Kowa 821 a LOT to shoot with and am pretty good at getting it set up quickly on target. But, it sucks for hunting. I don't even bother to take it anymore. Too difficult to find what you are looking for. :(

pieeater
12-15-2010, 4:43 PM
I dont like them, I use a straight one and just about everyone i know does too. Too hard to get on animals fast at long distance.

bruce_ventura
12-15-2010, 7:50 PM
Ditto here. I used an angled Vixen scope last deer season and did not like always having to lift my head up to look around. Too much movement for me.

One time I looked up and saw a double forkie looking right at me from a ridgeline. I couldn't take the shot because he was right on the horizon. Then he disappeared down the other side. I'm looking for a good straight eyepiece scope now.

zerohour714
12-18-2010, 8:20 AM
I have an angled Vortex Nomad and love it. I opted for the angled because it is easier to look through IMO. At the end of the day, use what feels best for you. I don't think that one is actually better than the other, it just comes down to preference.