PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Pry modification for gun safes???

n6vmo
12-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Having just purchased my Winchester gun safe, I am more and more disturbed by photos of gun safes being pried open.
From posted photos, it appears the door bolts are being bent and this allows the bolt to slip by the cabinet door edge.
Several of you have mentioned that the bolts don't bend, but rather act as a lever and bend the flimsy sheet metal cog system inside the door.
This sheet metal is all that supports the bolt as it passes through the door.

http://www.n6vmo.com/Links/gun_safe_bolt_fail.jpg

Below is a top view drawing of a possible solution to keep the bolt from bending the locking mechanism. It uses a piece of barstock that runs between the bolt(s)
and the door. The bar stock runs the entire length of the door. It allows the bolts to freely move in and out of the door.
When a pry attempt is made, the bar stock prevents the bolt(s) from collapsing the sheet metal locking mechanism by spreading the load to the door.

I have not removed my safe's and firewall from the door, but it appears this type of modification could help slow down a pry attack.

You thoughts are welcomed. Pardon the crudity of my drawing. http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif

http://www.n6vmo.com/Links/gun_safe_bolt_mod.jpg

caoboy
12-15-2010, 1:22 PM
Would the barstock be welded to the door? Why not run a piece of square tubing the length/width of the door end to cog, that way it is reinforced better? This also might void your warranty if purchased new.

GP3
12-15-2010, 1:28 PM
Just to add to the Anty-Pry discussion:

Putting the safe in a corner should help tremendously. Of course, bolted to the floor as well. It's hard to pry when a wall is in the way.

n6vmo
12-15-2010, 1:36 PM
Would the barstock be welded to the door? Why not run a piece of square tubing the length/width of the door end to cog, that way it is reinforced better? This also might void your warranty if purchased new.

Yes, square stock would be better. I thought that since the only force applied to the bar stock during a pry session would be compression against the door, the stock could be held in place with a silicone based adhesive.

GP3, I plan to place my safe in the the corner of my cinder block garage and bolt it to the floor tonight.

Keep the ideas coming.

n6vmo
12-15-2010, 1:38 PM
caoboy, do you mean run the bar stock parallel with the bolt? I can see that working well too.

TurboChrisB
12-15-2010, 5:35 PM
THIS is your answer. Bolt to floor and wall...CAN'T pry it open if the opening of the door is next to a wall...

Just to add to the Anty-Pry discussion:

Putting the safe in a corner should help tremendously. Of course, bolted to the floor as well. It's hard to pry when a wall is in the way.

caoboy
12-16-2010, 2:23 AM
I mean take the square tube and run it vertically on the inside of the door. You would need to run like 2-3 pieces for the width to be the length of the bolt, thus giving no way to pry the bolt. Silicone adhesive would give way eventually. I'd stick with welding.

You could also surround your safe with a concrete wall. You'd have to tear out the concrete if you ever wanted to move it though.

Casual_Shooter
12-16-2010, 7:56 AM
Looks like it would work. Another thing occurs during a prying attempt- the frame of the safe deforms, so perhaps you could come up with some reinforcing in that area.

Getting the seams of the safe door-to-body as small as possible would also be a benefit. The higher-end safes market this as a security feature. i.e. "a business card barely fits between the door and frame"