PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in a leather holster

BayAreaShooter
12-15-2010, 11:34 AM
I have a leather holster I bought for a GP-100 and it makes a fair amount of noise when I walk. Is there any easy way to break it in or should I just wear it as much as possible. Thank you in advance.

homerm14
12-15-2010, 12:12 PM
I am assuming the weapon fits well in the holster so you are not asking about stretching it. As far as noise just use it. It will break in. Some people have used leather softeners, but I would avoid this.

stphnman20
12-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Just keep wearing it. In time it'll break in.

BayAreaShooter
12-15-2010, 12:36 PM
I am assuming the weapon fits well in the holster so you are not asking about stretching it. As far as noise just use it. It will break in. Some people have used leather softeners, but I would avoid this.

No not trying to stretch it. It is made specifically fro the GP-100 so it is form fitted for the gun. I guess I will just wear it as much as possible. Thank you.

thomashoward
12-15-2010, 5:54 PM
That's why I always buy used holsters with the squeak removed

Kanoodler
12-15-2010, 7:15 PM
You might check out a product called "Leather lightning." I discovered it as part of a recommendation with the purchase of Mitch Rosen holsters. The Rosen holsters are incredibly tight at first, so he endorsed Leather lightning as a way to help.

I have used the product for leather holsters and sheaths for about 10 years now, with no problems ...ever! Not only does it help reduce the amount of extreme friction, but it MAY help with the squeaking.

An important note is that the product DID NOT loosen or soften the leather any. The product is a microcrystalin wax that comes in a squeeze bottle. It comes out think like honey. A small drop on your fingertip will treat the inside of an average handgun holster. Cost was about $12-. Well worth a try. ...Couldn't hurt...might help..

llamatrnr
12-19-2010, 5:01 PM
Baby powder works great for me on new saddles; been using it for years . . .

Happy Trails

. . .and a cartridge in a pear tree