PDA

View Full Version : 26 Round Mags w/ Conversion Kit... CA legal?

oldrifle
12-15-2010, 11:17 AM
My wife ordered an AR .22 conversion w/ two 26 rnd. mags for me for x-mas. They sent her an email saying that only law enforcement can purchase mags of that capacity and they will not ship until proof is submitted. My understanding is that there are no restrictions on rimfire mags and see hicap 22 mags all over the place in CA.

Can anyone clarify this? I need to get back to Brownells on this ASAP. Thanks

cmichini
12-15-2010, 11:23 AM
No, it is verboten.

You can not import, manufacture or transer magazines capable of holding >10 rounds past the 2000 (or was it 2001?) enactment of the law. That pertains to all detachable magazines rimfire and/or centerfire, rifle and/or pistol.

I don't know about these mags, but IF they can/will disassemble them and ship then you're OK but you can't assemble (manufacture) them in CA. You have to bring them back to America, assemble, use and dis-assemble when coming back into the People's Republik.

Many conversion kit folks make 10 round mags to be a California-neutered configuration. Check to see if they have a weenie (i.e., California compliant) version that only has 10 rounders.

HTH

Ed_Hazard
12-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Bingo, new detachable mags 10rds or less.

Rebuild kits are legal to own and use to rebuild older preban hicaps, and for use out of state.

sequoia_nomad
12-15-2010, 11:38 AM
1500 posts, and you need to ask this?

oldrifle
12-15-2010, 11:45 AM

I've never had a 22 or any interest in one until trying my buddy's AR w/ 22 conversion. I've always thought the restriction didn't apply to 22s - only centerfire.

-hanko
12-15-2010, 11:50 AM
I was gonna' put it a different way...here for 3+ years, etc.:confused:

-hanko

oldrifle
12-15-2010, 11:52 AM
I was gonna' put it a different way...here for 3+ years, etc.:confused:

-hanko

OK, OK... :rolleyes: anyway thanks for the info guys.

icentropy
12-15-2010, 12:27 PM
GEEZ, WHY ARE PEOPLE SO ANAL AROUND HERE! If you don't like the question don't answer or contribute, but why be so snobbish?!

Oldrifle, if you're a do-it-yourselfer you can also ask them to dissassemble them before shipment and then when you receive them you can figure out how to block them yourself before assembly. I did it with a CMMG mag that i received as a rebuild kit. I just used a .25 dowl (I actually used an aluminum arrow shaft) cut to the right length. Fits perfectly. Then when you reassemble the base plate just drill a 1/16th hole through the body/baseplate and push a pin in there (you can epoxy for good measure). Now you have a 10/26 mag. If you want i can show you pics on how it can be done (assuming they're willing to dissassemble and ship to you). If it's Brownell's they probably won't.

I say buy the conversion kit from Botach.com (i bought mine from them and had no problems) for $99, then buy the rebuild kits or mags from 44mag.com for $18 each.

Reductio
12-15-2010, 3:14 PM
You were probably thinking a fixed-tube rimfire... THOSE can be >10, but certainly not detachable ones.

Chunky_lover
12-16-2010, 6:34 AM
didnt years ago you have that old ciener kit that came with high cap mags, you can rebuild them you know
then they are legal

http://www.22lrconversions.com/m16-kit.gif

http://www.22lrconversions.com/m16ar15.gif

-hanko
12-16-2010, 10:27 AM
GEEZ, WHY ARE PEOPLE SO ANAL AROUND HERE! If you don't like the question don't answer or contribute, but why be so snobbish?!
GEEZ, welcome to the internet.

The smillie indicated I was joking;).

-hanko

hawk1547
12-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Black Dog Machine .22 conversion magazines in stock here:http://palmettostatearmory.com/22-conversion-10rd.php
good luck!