PDA

View Full Version : Arguments for and against getting a COE

OHOD
12-15-2010, 9:27 AM
Now that I have my C&R, I have been wondering about getting a Certificate of Eligibility. (For those of you in the know, I'm staying in Kali, the job fell through)

I will post a Poll as well to get the nuts and bolts, yes or no.

What are your opinions on getting the COE?

SoCal Bob
12-15-2010, 9:35 AM
On the plus side is negating the 1 in 30 new handgun rule, continued shipping of ammo from participating out of state dealers (J&G Sales, etc.), no 10 day wait for buying C&R firearms from enlightened 01 FFL's (I'm not sure on the C&R handgun from a CA 01 FFL's stock).

On the minus side you're out about a hundred bucks if you don't make use of it.

Interloper
12-15-2010, 10:25 AM
The application process is lame. It costs $100. It's an unconstitutional, onerous, and abusive bureaucratic hurdle. Other than that, I can't see any downside. :rolleyes:
I don't have one. My handgun purchases are measured in years, not months. Most of my C&R purchases are out of state. Up till now there has really been no reason for me to get it. Once the ammo ban takes effect I'll probably get off my butt and get it.

PBRStreeetgang
12-15-2010, 3:24 PM
I have one. Paid $72 for it initally, and $22 a year to maintain it. It was a bit of pain, and at the time I got it, I thought I had to have it for my C&R to work. Not the case. However, I maintain it to create more paperwork for the bureaucrats, and it has come in handy a couple of times allowing me to walk with a C&R direct from a gun show.

Stormtrooperthunder
12-15-2010, 9:48 PM
C&R + COE = ordering ammo online from vendors that are up for it. Already saved 30 dollars on midway with my C&R.

plus you get to walk out with mosins whenever it tickles your fancy

savasyn
12-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Upsides: The COE is worth it if you plan on buying enough handguns to make it worth it. It is also really nice to be able to get C&R guns(both long and short) home the same day you DROS from an 01. Assuming you can convince out of state vendors that a C&R + COE is a legit way to have ammo shipped to you after Feb. of next year, that's a big up side.

Downsides: It is pricey in comparison to just the 03 license and you have to renew every year. It's a pain trying to convince any FFL that it works to defeat the lame 1 in 30 rule on modern handguns and, on occasion, that you can take C&Rs home the day of DROS. Lastly, once you do the live scan and your finger prints go to the FBI, they'll be there forever. Most law abiding folks shouldn't care, but it is something to consider.

Cokebottle
12-15-2010, 10:14 PM
On the minus side you're out about a hundred bucks if you don't make use of it.
But only $22/year for renewal. The $100 is a one-time thing.

Josh3239
12-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Yes it is worth it.

stitchnicklas
12-16-2010, 1:00 AM
yes,

for the exemptions,and the combo with out of state dealers..

OHOD
12-16-2010, 4:10 PM
Seems that the COE is worth it.
Considering the $100 fee is one time with a $22 renewal, not too bad.

NiteQwill
12-16-2010, 4:45 PM
Worth it!

sd_shooter
12-16-2010, 5:35 PM
DROS three modern handguns in three weeks? Priceless! :D

PsychGuy274
12-16-2010, 6:04 PM
I put "no" for me personally, but YMMV.

It's costs $100 and what do you get? More than one handgun a month (which I cannot afford anyways), and no ten day wait on FFL C&R purchases (all my purchases are online or out of state).

The one way I *might* get it is if AB 962 definitely goes through (which since OOIDA got dropped it might) because then you can still get handgun ammo online with those two licenses. But you still have to keep in mind that just because you will be exempt, that doesn't mean that companies will know about that exemption or even care about it.

IMHO, don't give the state any more money than you absolutely have to.

That's just my 0.02

Interloper
12-16-2010, 6:09 PM
I put "no" for me personally, but YMMV.

It's costs $100 and what do you get? More than one handgun a month (which I cannot afford anyways), and no ten day wait on FFL C&R purchases (all my purchases are online or out of state).

The one way I *might* get it is if AB 962 definitely goes through (which since OOIDA got dropped it might) because then you can still get handgun ammo online with those two licenses. But you still have to keep in mind that just because you will be exempt, that doesn't mean that companies will know about that exemption or even care about it.

IMHO, don't give the state any more money than you absolutely have to.

That's just my 0.02

That's where I'm at as well. Every C&R long gun I've purchased has been PPT or out of state. My last handgun purchase was nearly five years ago. It's not worth the money or hassle right now. Maybe in the future but not right now.

msand951
12-16-2010, 7:04 PM
I dont mean to steal this thread but I applied for a C&R in Nov. they charged my account in Nov.11 So im just waiting now. I know about purchasing rifles from the net is ok but not handguns without going thru a 01ffl. But what about a out of state purchase in person with just the C&R for a hungun will it be ok without a 01ffl.

Oh and what website do you guys recommend for me to get a good german mauser.

FeuerFrei
12-16-2010, 7:57 PM
Upsides: The COE is worth it if you plan on buying enough handguns to make it worth it. It is also really nice to be able to get C&R guns(both long and short) home the same day you DROS from an 01. Assuming you can convince out of state vendors that a C&R + COE is a legit way to have ammo shipped to you after Feb. of next year, that's a big up side.

Downsides: It is pricey in comparison to just the 03 license and you have to renew every year. It's a pain trying to convince any FFL that it works to defeat the lame 1 in 30 rule on modern handguns and, on occasion, that you can take C&Rs home the day of DROS. Lastly, once you do the live scan and your finger prints go to the FBI, they'll be there forever. Most law abiding folks shouldn't care, but it is something to consider.

^Yes ...this is my reason...reasons...:D

Tanner68
12-16-2010, 11:11 PM
I dont mean to steal this thread but I applied for a C&R in Nov. they charged my account in Nov.11 So im just waiting now. I know about purchasing rifles from the net is ok but not handguns without going thru a 01ffl. But what about a out of state purchase in person with just the C&R for a hungun will it be ok without a 01ffl.

Are you serious? What is up with the attempted thread jacking? The OP is asking about getting a COE and we are not going to start talking about where to buy a mauser.

"I don't mean to steal this thread...." but I am going to go ahead an try and steal this thread by going off topic three different ways.

Rant over.

msand951
12-17-2010, 4:08 PM
WTf, is your problem i just asked a question if someone answered then it cool. Thats what forums are for. i see it done all time. Stop trying to be a f-ing moderator *******.
To the OP Sorry.
Are you serious? What is up with the attempted thread jacking? The OP is asking about getting a COE and we are not going to start talking about where to buy a mauser.

"I don't mean to steal this thread...." but I am going to go ahead an try and steal this thread by going off topic three different ways.

Rant over.

PBRStreeetgang
12-18-2010, 1:19 AM

Only for a C&R handgun does that work. For example: You can goto Arizona, walk into J&G Sales and buy a CZ-82 with your C&R...(Note: If you goto the gun show to buy it, make sure you have it on file with them at the store first, I found this out the hard way). Once you bring it back home, you have to fill out a BCIA 4100A form. (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/curioapp.pdf) Cost $19 bucks and you have 5 days to do it.