PDA

View Full Version : Big 5's U.S. M-1 .30-CARBINE $799.99

andrewak47
12-14-2010, 11:48 PM
They are dropping 200 off the regular price. Prices effective Wednesday, Dec 15th - Saturday, Dec 25th. Is this a good deal?

iareConfusE
12-14-2010, 11:51 PM
$800 after the $200 removed from the original retail price? That must be a joke.

TrailerparkTrash
12-15-2010, 12:21 AM
The M-1 Carbine is a worthless joke of a gun..... It was a sad development when it was introduced and it continues to be a sad joke of a gun now because ammo is harder to get and very $$$$$$.

I'd rather have a Ruger 10-22 and a dozen or so 10rnd magazines with it! Much less cost all around. :D:D:D

Oh, I almost forgot to answer the OP's question. Good deal??? Heck no! Take that money ($800.) and go buy a good Ruger Mini-14 or two 10-22's instead!

dennis1979gm
12-15-2010, 1:16 AM
no such thing as a "good" mini 14! lol! but to answer your question the carbines at big 5 are pretty beat down. you would be better off picking up a new karh m1 for about the same money or check out the CMP program

only10x
12-15-2010, 2:01 AM
Check out the CMP if you want a carbine. Big 5 sells some beat up war guns at a premium. stopped by on black friday and they had 1 in stock (per store) and it looked like the lowest grade the cmp has to offer at the same price you got listed.
that kind of money can buy alot of good choices in this economy. though ammo can be tough.

tempdrummer
12-15-2010, 2:10 AM
for the record CMP no longer has any Carbines and they say they have no plans to receive anymore. Supplies seemed to have dried up.

The big 5 carbines are in terrible condition. Your better off watching the classified on here.

metalliman545
12-15-2010, 3:14 AM
Go ahead buy it, spend your money so we can laugh when you spent 800+ for a rifle worth about 300

FuzzyBrows
12-15-2010, 3:32 AM
the only firearms worth buying from big 5 are pretty much marlins, 10/22's, mosin nagants and shotguns if they are on sale. i buy my work boots and sport stuff from there tho lol.

negolien
12-15-2010, 3:45 AM
That's really not necassary there bud...

Rob454
12-15-2010, 4:28 AM
There are better rifles ( both price and physical aesthetics) that you can buy from members here or other gun stores. Big 5 has some inflated prices on their M1 rifles.
I would look somewhere else for a rifle. Also when you get a rifle before you get it find out how hard or expensive the ammo you will be using is. No point in buying a rifle that is expensive to shoot and ammo is hard to find IMO. For the money you are gonna spend on that big 5 M1 you can get a few other guns AND ammo to shoot

Mail Clerk
12-15-2010, 5:49 AM
They are dropping 200 off the regular price. Prices effective Wednesday, Dec 15th - Saturday, Dec 25th. Is this a good deal?

andrewak47,

The price is a little high but collectors would not hesitate to grab one or two IF AND ONLY they're in good shape. What country there coming from during the lend lease act is questionable cuz Garands have basically dried up and our dumb country doesn't want them back anymore.

Remember about twenty years when carbines and Garands were being imported into this country by the thousands???
I remember you could get excellent, good and crummy grades all you want but all of a sudden they all dried up pretty fast???? That's cuz our government stopped importation.

Anyway no more spouting. Go look at them and if you like them get the best one with at least a shiny bore. Ammo is expensive but is a fantastic field rifle for general trail blazing if you out in the wilderness.

Mail Clerk

toby
12-15-2010, 6:58 AM
If they were $200 then that would be a good deal.

Bruce
12-15-2010, 7:00 AM
Are you sure it's not the Kahr/Auto Ordnance version? I thought I saw thw newly made version in one of their ads last week.

rodeoflyer
12-15-2010, 7:47 AM
The M-1 Carbine is a worthless joke of a gun..... It was a sad development when it was introduced and it continues to be a sad joke of a gun now because ammo is harder to get and very $$$$$$.

I'd rather have a Ruger 10-22 and a dozen or so 10rnd magazines with it! Much less cost all around. :D:D:D

Oh, I almost forgot to answer the OP's question. Good deal??? Heck no! Take that money ($800.) and go buy a good Ruger Mini-14 or two 10-22's instead!

I completely disagree with you. It is an accurate and fun rifle. It was a "disappointment" as you say because it is considered underpowered as a rifle - but then it wasn't designed to be a premier battle rifle. It is better compared to an MP-5. If it were a piece of crap they wouldn't have produced millions of them and kept them in service for decades.

Ammunition is far from hard to find if you know where to look. I can buy brand new boxer primed brass ammo for $18.99 and i'm not saying where. If my dumbass can find it so can you. I've also used steel cased Russian ammo from Cheaper than Dirt for $11.99 a box (50 rounds). It is one of the cheapest rounds to reload if you are into that. All in all - ammunition isn't a problem.

As to the OP's original question about the cost - that's a FAIR price. They had a Black Friday sale and were even cheaper at $699.

Considering you will easily pay $600-$1000 for a used surplus rifle of unknown pedigree and maybe even quality - the Auto Ordnance model is a steal at $799.

B Strong
12-15-2010, 8:32 AM

And you can ride your Unicorn to the gunstore to get that "good Ruger mini-14" too!

thehummerguy
12-15-2010, 9:29 AM

Hmmm, DOes this type of comment come from just never having owned or fired one?
If you are not aware, this rifle was designed as a replacement for the .45 ACP Pistol and officer carry piece. Once the Grunt got it in there hands on the "Canal" they learned to Love it for Many obvious reasons over a Garand or 03A3.

This worthless Rifle continued into the M2 in Korea and then Vietnam for ARVN
troops....I own 2 and they are fun as Hell to Shoot.

Ammo is NOT hard to get and is NO more expensive then other ammo....

I was at Big 5 in San Leandro last week, they had 2, Actually the Metal and wood was very nice...Quite surprised actually.
CMP is out of them, except on there Auction site. Thiose little Jules are bringing a premium.
I still think they need to get them down to about 400-600, the $999.00 was a Joke.
There are some hard to find parts on some of these guns, you just need to go look at them
and see what little Gem you might be able to find.....

vf111
12-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Not to toot my own horn but here you go:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=366136&highlight=saginaw

Saigon1965
12-15-2010, 10:46 AM
A carbine is essential to all C&R collector - You'll find better condition with the guns available in the FS section here -

AF_MSgt
12-15-2010, 10:54 AM
You're better off spending the $800 at Budsgunshop.com and buying something and having it shipped.

-hanko
12-15-2010, 11:09 AM
The M-1 Carbine is a worthless joke of a gun.....

Take that money ($800.) and go buy a good Ruger Mini-14...
:rolleyes::sleeping:

For the price, a Mini-14 is not a "good" gun. Get real.

For OP, Big-5 is NOT where you want to purchase an M1 carbine.;)

-hanko

Caribouriver
12-15-2010, 12:19 PM
The m1 carbine at the local Big 5 was an auto-ord and not worth the asking price IMHO. I like carbines. They are reasonably accurate and reliable. Standing shoulder fired, even I can hit a 50 yd gong 10/10 and my eyes are as old as the rifle. That costs $4.00. The CMP sells Aguila .30 carbine ammo @ 500 rds/$200. Keep in mind, the M1 Carbine was never intended to replace the M1 Garand as a field battle rifle. It was designed to fill the gap between the .45 Colt 1911 and the Garand.

NaughtyMonkey
12-15-2010, 12:27 PM
The CMP still has some at Auction but there pricey on there. More then the Big 5 ones usually, but there all matching and in amazing shape.

finloq
12-15-2010, 12:56 PM
There are several on gunbroker.com at any given time...and if you can find a seller that has the CMP paperwork for the carbine...

microwaveguy
12-15-2010, 5:52 PM
I was outside of my "normal" travel range today and decided to stop at a radio shack and next door was a big-5 ............. Figured "what the hell" and went into see what they had. Well there was one lonely Quality hardware (1.6mi) sitting on the shelf. Absolute mixmaster with both blued and parkerized parts. I would have to say it would rate at the bottom end of rack grade. Stock was fair but dirty and the finish was maybe 70% on the parts?

Not something I would buy for the current $799.00 sale price but I am sure someone will come along and buy it.

Oh ...... and I do have a mini-14 ........ sits in the back and haven't touched in YEARS. I find the carbine much more interesting to shoot. If someone made me an offer on the mini it would be gone in a minute and I would go out and get an AR instead.

mosinnagantm9130
12-15-2010, 9:03 PM
the Auto Ordnance model is a steal at $799.

No....repro M1 carbines are known for FTF, and other problems. Plus repros can be had for half that.

To the OP, original USGI carbines are on the FS forum pretty often, usually at right about $650.

mls343
12-16-2010, 8:20 AM
^^^^

+ 1 Stick with the USGI. There are plenty to be had out there.

Eat Dirt
12-16-2010, 8:26 AM
The last time Big -5 came out with this " Sale " on the carbine
A friend asked me " Where do you think they found all of these ? "

With a stright face I told him " At the bottom of a lake !! "

jaq
12-16-2010, 1:01 PM
No....repro M1 carbines are known for FTF, and other problems. Plus repros can be had for half that.

To the OP, original USGI carbines are on the FS forum pretty often, usually at right about $650.

FTF and other problems depends on the reproduction company. There were quite a few that started up in the 60s that produced total crap. They are the ones that gave that dog a bad name.

However, Plainfield was generally considered good to go as a repro manufacturer. They made their repro parts to USGI spec and used mostly USGI surplus to finish out their receivers/furniture. I have one and it works like a champ - no FTFs or any othe failures. Ever.

As another poster commented, the prices for repros are low. $300 for a good condition Plainfield is average. Some of the others aren't worth any amount of money :-|

Auto-Ordnance has had mixed reviews. Having no direct experience with their versions, I cannot say anything useful about them.

OHOD
12-16-2010, 3:33 PM

You missed the point.
The military issue M1 Carbine may be a joke of a gun, but it is a C&R and collectible to some.
I want one as a part of my collection because of the historical significance, not because I want to use it as a primary shooter.
I have other guns for that.