PDA

View Full Version : FAL party?

hollowpoint67
12-14-2010, 8:02 PM
anyone having one of these in socal?

I know the AR platform and want to transition to the FAL so im looking for some Jedi elders to show me the ropes.

E-120
12-14-2010, 8:31 PM
I am interested as well.

jamesob
12-14-2010, 8:49 PM
i have built one and to be honest if i ever build another, i will pay the 125 that entreprise charges to assemble it.

GM4spd
12-15-2010, 6:02 AM
I can't install a barrel or locking shoulder but can check headspace and
assemble the rest.I am here in SOCAL, Pete

straykiller
12-15-2010, 11:57 AM
ive been interested in building one for quite some time now

hollowpoint67
12-20-2010, 8:38 PM
anyone else?

Diamond1
12-21-2010, 9:23 AM
I've got the tools and built 6-7 if someone needs some help. I'm in Long beach.

aerospace90248
01-01-2011, 6:35 PM
I've got the tools and built 6-7 if someone needs some help. I'm in Long beach.

FAL BP!! :taz:

straykiller
01-01-2011, 6:38 PM
FAL BP!! :taz:

im down

novalondon
01-02-2011, 2:58 AM
I have parts kits for Aussie inch without the barrel and receivers. I also have complete minus locking shoulder Imbel kits with chrome lined barrels. Both kits are refinished,
Imbel kits have Entreprise type 3 receivers that have matching serials to the kits. Both kits have all the 922r parts already there.

Diamond1
01-02-2011, 9:22 AM
When and where?

_Z_
01-02-2011, 9:30 AM
When and where?

probably since you built some before you can setup a when and where

Diamond1
01-02-2011, 9:52 AM
Here's the tools I have and will need in addition to small tools:
-receiver wrench
-barrel vice
-head space gauges
-dremel to remove rec stub if still on barrel.
Headspace is determined by the locking shoulder and you may have to order a different size depending on barrel and receiver.
I'll get all the tools together if some can host the event at the garage or shop. We will need a workbench with a good vice!

_Z_
01-02-2011, 9:58 AM
Here's the tools I have and will need in addition to small tools:
-receiver wrench
-barrel vice
-head space gauges
-dremel to remove rec stub if still on barrel.
Headspace is determined by the locking shoulder and you may have to order a different size depending on barrel and receiver.
I'll get all the tools together if some can host the event at the garage or shop. We will need a workbench with a good vice!

There we go, the ball is rolling now!

Once you guys find the room, I would start another thread about the BP.

edog11
01-02-2011, 9:59 AM
I can host but im a probably too far north Santa Maria , CA

Barabas
01-02-2011, 1:01 PM
Don't forget pin gauges! You need them to determine the proper size locking shoulder while setting headspace. You'll want a big cheater bar for your receiver wrench too. If you are set up for building AK's you can use your press to hold the barrel vice while you torque on the receiver wrench, it tends to be more stable than most garage workbench mounted vices. Make sure you don't apply too much pressure, you don't want to crush the barrel. :D

If you get slippage, use some powdered rosin on the barrel vice. You probably should invest in some timing tools too. Nothing worse than finding yourself out of time since it also affects headspace.

Diamond1
01-02-2011, 1:16 PM
I've got the pin gauges too!

Diamond1
01-02-2011, 1:17 PM
And the timing tools too

Diamond1
01-02-2011, 1:27 PM
And a tub of extra parts I've
been collecting for ten years
just in case!

hollowpoint67
01-02-2011, 1:39 PM
seems like Diamond is the only Jedi in here, all I have is a receiver and a kit that needs to be put together.

so from my standpoint what can I provide? garage is out of the question because its basically a packed in storage unit.

Barabas
01-02-2011, 2:05 PM
so from my standpoint what can I provide?

Blast media, park supplies, paint, if that's your thing.

If I wasn't above the grapevine, I'd offer up physical assistance.

Diamond1
01-02-2011, 3:41 PM
If worst case I can host in Long Beach, but I don't habve too much space in a one car garage. Also, I've got enough extra parts for a couple of frankenfals if someone is in need and can donate a little to calguns

UltraLNW
01-02-2011, 10:09 PM
I'd take you up on that Diamond, except I've already donated $180 to Calgun for 2011!

Diamond1
01-03-2011, 12:35 PM
FrankenFal kit spoken for.

mrlonewolf
01-06-2011, 10:51 PM
I can assist with:
-12 ton hydraulic press (much better than a bench vice).
-barrel vice
-head space gauges
-3/4" breaker bar w/extension that works great with the receiver wrench (that's how I'd build mines).
-small tools as needed.

Please let me know how can I help.

savs2k
01-07-2011, 5:07 AM
Id be down for this if I was in socal

hollowpoint67
01-09-2011, 3:16 PM
riddle me this one boys. if its your first FAL and its a pristine Imbel receiver and StG kit would you attempt to put it together at a build party? or send it to Entreprise or Arizona Response Systems?

Diamond1
01-13-2011, 11:10 AM
All comes down to your interests. I get great satisfaction with building kits. I've spent way more money in tools and time then sending to a reputable builder. On the other hand you really get a complete understanding of the firearm this way.

Diamond1
01-13-2011, 11:13 AM
By the way...ARS is the way to go if you want a very good build. Also, remember that you get what you pay for with the builder!

-hanko
01-13-2011, 11:37 AM
riddle me this one boys. if its your first FAL and its a pristine Imbel receiver and StG kit would you attempt to put it together at a build party? or send it to Entreprise or Arizona Response Systems?
I'd use Mark Graham/ARS if I wanted (my opinion follows) an exquisite gun in both appearance and function. He is a master at what he does, you do pay for his expertise, you get what you pay for...that simple. I'd call or email him first to see current lead time.

I would not use Entreprise...do your due diligence on the FAL Files. Quality varies and that's been Enterprise's rep for as long as I can remember them "building" FAL's. Again, if you're looking for an FAL manufacturer's rep, the FAL Files is where you need to be, not here.;)

No problem putting a gun together at a build party. I'd be at yours but I'm not even in CA until spring.

Have fun.

-hanko

Wyseguy
01-13-2011, 11:57 AM
I'd be up for it if it's a few months away. Right now all my funds are going to the 1919 party.

TURBOELKY
01-13-2011, 8:43 PM
FAL

4thSBCT
01-13-2011, 8:56 PM
I be down and have some tools also, what if you have a barrel less kit? Is it hard to build up a barrel?

nick
01-13-2011, 9:15 PM
Does anybody still make the 80% FAL receivers?

Robidouxs
01-13-2011, 9:23 PM
Count me in. I have always wanted a FAL in the collection.

TURBOELKY
01-13-2011, 9:29 PM
Yup FAL. Thats what I'm talking about!

Robidouxs
01-13-2011, 9:30 PM
I can host but im a probably too far north Santa Maria , CA

I would say you are a nice happy medium between LA, Fresno, and the Bay Area. All within 3 hours.

bollero
01-14-2011, 2:15 AM
2 have built 2 fal's.. they both work...no problems.. one is built with a DSA receiver and other with a Imbel receiver... I think Fal's are the best assault rifles ever made.. i like shooting them better than my ar-15.

Robidouxs
01-15-2011, 9:18 AM
I am running a group buy for parts kits which has a FN Fal G1 Kit for sale:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=381477

thedrickel
01-15-2011, 4:28 PM
I'd use Mark Graham/ARS if I wanted (my opinion follows) an exquisite gun in both appearance and function. He is a master at what he does, you do pay for his expertise, you get what you pay for...that simple. I'd call or email him first to see current lead time.

I would not use Entreprise...do your due diligence on the FAL Files. Quality varies and that's been Enterprise's rep for as long as I can remember them "building" FAL's. Again, if you're looking for an FAL manufacturer's rep, the FAL Files is where you need to be, not here.;)

No problem putting a gun together at a build party. I'd be at yours but I'm not even in CA until spring.

Have fun.

-hanko

+1 on all counts.

I would probably help out if somebody wanted to get a build party going in the bay area.

TURBOELKY
01-15-2011, 4:43 PM
I hear both good and bad about Entreprise's Fal's. I just bought one, I'll let you guys know how it goes. As much as I would have LOVED to have a DSA built FAL, I just dont have the $ for one. Plus with the price I paid, I'm happy, and hope the rifle shoots well.
I would love to attend the FAL party though, just to see how its done.

BHPFan
01-15-2011, 5:10 PM
I would love to attend the FAL party though, just to see how its done.

Me too.

I just bought a DSA receiver from a Calgunner. I was thinking about buying the parts kit from him, but my budget is tight (gotta pay all that CC charged from Xmas gifts) and I want to allocate money mainly for ammo before Feb 1st (stupid AB law).

veeklog
01-15-2011, 5:27 PM
I built three FAL's (two for me, one for a friend), and have all the tools (barrel and receiver vise and Duracoat kit) needed for the builds. I am missing a few pin gages for the headspacing, but they are cheap through MSC Direct, plus the ones I needed for my last two builds I had since the DSA Type I and Type II locking shoulders were running small. Unfortunately I will not be home till mid March, but would love to attend a build party. Here is a picture of my two builds:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e335/veeklog/Firearms/CongoandStandard-1.jpg

straykiller
01-15-2011, 6:07 PM
I built three FAL's (two for me, one for a friend), and have all the tools (barrel and receiver vise and Duracoat kit) needed for the builds. I am missing a few pin gages for the headspacing, but they are cheap through MSC Direct, plus the ones I needed for my last two builds I had since the DSA Type I and Type II locking shoulders were running small. Unfortunately I will not be home till mid March, but would love to attend a build party. Here is a picture of my two builds:

those are very sexy i would like to learn how to build one, i need to find a way to get an upper receiver marked pistol and with a sled installed so i can make a fal pistol.

TURBOELKY
01-15-2011, 6:10 PM
First see how your PSL pistols does, then worry about the FAL pistol:D But those are some pretty rifles!! The Duracoat really makes them pretty!

straykiller
01-15-2011, 6:18 PM
First see how your PSL pistols does, then worry about the FAL pistol:D But those are some pretty rifles!! The Duracoat really makes them pretty!

FIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEE lol, ive been slacking anyways im way behind to be adding anything else on top. i still want to learn tho

veeklog
01-15-2011, 7:10 PM

Thanks for the compliments:D The first one I built, Fausto from San Diego helped me out and showed me the in and outs on how to build one; can't thank him enough for the help. The second and third were a HELL of a lot easier!!

As for the Duracoat, it is actually pretty easy to apply. My only advice is (after applying LS and headspacing correctly) if you sandblast your FAL's in order to get all the old paint off, apply a good degreaser and then subsequently apply the Duraphos from Lauer Weaponry, makers of Duracoat. I will tell you that the Duracoat was able to adhere to the surface of the rifle faster and helped in the curing of the Duracoat on the FAL's. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

BHPFan
01-15-2011, 9:35 PM

SWEEEEEEEEET!!! :drool5:

If I could have your skills and tools to do the job.

bigstick61
01-21-2011, 3:51 PM
I'm interested as well. All I need is a receiver and a couple of small parts and I have everything. I'll have the receiver in the next couple of weeks. I'm also helping a friend get the parts for a para FAL build and I should have most of what he needs or everything in the same time frame. We're both interested in a build party.

TURBOELKY
01-21-2011, 11:43 PM
FAL

woot woot!!!

:hide:

Jon Wang
01-26-2011, 10:58 AM
those are very sexy i would like to learn how to build one, i need to find a way to get an upper receiver marked pistol and with a sled installed so i can make a fal pistol.

Building a FAL pistol is much more complicated than building AR pistol.

I've never built a FAL pistol, but some of the obvious difficulties are:

1. FAL's are gas piston driven = whole new ball of wax.

2. FAL hand guards = most of the after market stuff is made for 922r compliance, and not towards customizing FAL pistols.

3. Bolt/carrier/return spring = you'll need to go with para configuration. Standard FAL return spring is contained inside the long butt stock.

Couple of guys on FALFiles have made really cool FAL pistoleros. I defer to the FALFile collective. There is tremendous knowledge in them archives.

thedrickel
01-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Building a FAL pistol is much more complicated than building AR pistol.

I've never built a FAL pistol, but some of the obvious difficulties are:

1. FAL's are gas piston driven = whole new ball of wax.

2. FAL hand guards = most of the after market stuff is made for 922r compliance, and not towards customizing FAL pistols.

3. Bolt/carrier/return spring = you'll need to go with para configuration. Standard FAL return spring is contained inside the long butt stock.

Couple of guys on FALFiles have made really cool FAL pistoleros. I defer to the FALFile collective. There is tremendous knowledge in them archives.

Meh, they're no big deal once you get into them. I haz two ;)

bigstick61
02-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Is this still something that people want to set up?

If this happens anyone have extra locking shoulders that we could swap or buy off of one another in case what we have doesn't fit or we don't know what size we need beforehand?

Jon Wang
02-04-2011, 12:27 PM
I have some extra LS if someone needs to swap or purchase.

bollero
02-04-2011, 12:36 PM
I can help build... i have tool.. to check headspace..etc

bigstick61
02-24-2011, 2:09 PM
Anyone still interested in this?

DREADNOUGHT78
02-24-2011, 3:01 PM
I would attend Nor-Cal or So-Cal.....as long as it comes after April. Can someone start a parts list? And a suppliers list?

falawful
02-24-2011, 11:52 PM
I can help out if it fits my schedule.

I've got pretty much everything to do the job except a lathe (needed to adjust barrel shoulder if under-timed).

bigstick61
02-26-2011, 5:36 PM
Okay so here's a list of what people have said they can provide.

Diamond1 (Long Beach): one-car garage (hosting space), misc. spare parts, timing tools, locking shoulder pin guages, head space guages, misc. small tools, dremel tool, receiver wrench, and barrel vise

mrlonewolf (Orange County): 12-ton hydraulic press (I assume this means hosting space can be provided as well), barrel vise, headspace guages, 3/4" breaker bar w/ extension, and misc. small tools

4thSBCT (Irvine): misc. tools

veeklog (unavailable until mid-March): receiver wrench, barrel vise, Duracoat kit

Jon Wang (LA/OC Area): locking shoulders

falwaful: major tools necessary for builds (assuming barrel vise, receiver wrench at least)

bollero (Oceanside): headspace guages, build assistance

edog11 (Santa Maria): hosting space

GM4spd: build assistance

That basically covers everything except maybe parkerizing or blueing supplies and a lathe if necessary for some barrels. The dremel can be used to do the cuts for the wings of the clip guide topcovers for those who want them (provided someone coming knows where and how to cut). We do need to ensure we have a suitable place for all of this.

People interested in attending include:

TURBOELKY (to see how it's done)

BHPFan

hollowpoint67

straykiller

E-120

UltraLNW

Robidouxs

savs2k (maybe)

bigstick61 (myself); I have two friends who want to do builds as well

If I missed anyone that's interested please chime up. Any people viewing that are interested or can help out please chime in as well.

bigstick61
02-28-2011, 12:07 AM
Bumping this up to the top. Anyone want to submit input for a time and place for the build party?

GM4spd
02-28-2011, 5:51 AM
Have FAL will travel. Pete

http://www.fototime.com/CF360A5E0BA452B/standard.jpg

bigstick61
02-28-2011, 4:53 PM
I'm thinking mid to late March, perhaps on a weekend (Saturday, maybe?), probably in the afternoon, wherever someone has sufficient hosting space here in SoCal. Anyone want to provide some input. I really want to get this going.

bigstick61
03-02-2011, 10:49 PM
bump

tozan
03-02-2011, 11:02 PM
I am a FAL nut Keep me informed...

falawful
03-04-2011, 12:53 AM
I have many vices, the barrel vises I have are:
STG/G1 coutour (done an IMBEL too)
1.0625", 1.093" (Izzy HB)

Receiver wrench done T1-T3
Pin gauges
Front sight thingy to use bubble level
Headspace gauges, should have everything...

E-120
03-04-2011, 9:30 PM
Bump fire.

bluesmoke9
03-05-2011, 6:15 PM
i have built one and to be honest if i ever build another, i will pay the 125 that entreprise charges to assemble it.

I recently had Entreprise Arms work on a couple parts for me. Nothing fancy, pretty basic work. They totally botched the job. When I e-mailed Matt about their poor work and the service, it took 12 weeks when they quoted me 3, he never responded. I'd be very careful about having them do anything.

bigstick61
03-05-2011, 11:42 PM
I recently had Entreprise Arms work on a couple parts for me. Nothing fancy, pretty basic work. They totally botched the job. When I e-mailed Matt about their poor work and the service, it took 12 weeks when they quoted me 3, he never responded. I'd be very careful about having them do anything.

I don't think Matt works there anymore.

Robidouxs
03-06-2011, 3:48 AM
Here are some brand new imbel fal kits:

http://e-sarcoinc.com/originalmetricfalkits.aspx

I plan to buy one today and post up pictures when it arrives.

bluesmoke9
03-06-2011, 11:16 AM

If you look at the Entreprise thread he posts on there all the time, as recently as two days ago.

shooterdave
03-06-2011, 11:28 AM
those kits at sarco are argentine not imbel argentine lowers have in pin near the hammer. the receiver has a notch that has to be milled for clearance. coonan is the only one that make an argentine style receiver unless you find an original argentine receiver which is not cheap or easy to find but it's off list.

i believe matt only work at entreprise part time.

ren
03-06-2011, 11:54 AM
i'd like to attend and learn how to build one!

veeklog
03-06-2011, 5:15 PM

Diamond1 (Long Beach): one-car garage (hosting space), misc. spare parts, timing tools, locking shoulder pin guages, head space guages, misc. small tools, dremel tool, receiver wrench, and barrel vise

mrlonewolf (Orange County): 12-ton hydraulic press (I assume this means hosting space can be provided as well), barrel vise, headspace guages, 3/4" breaker bar w/ extension, and misc. small tools

veeklog (unavailable until mid-March): receiver wrench, barrel vise, Duracoat kit

falwaful: major tools necessary for builds (assuming barrel vise, receiver wrench at least)

That basically covers everything except maybe parkerizing or blueing supplies and a lathe if necessary for some barrels. The dremel can be used to do the cuts for the wings of the clip guide topcovers for those who want them (provided someone coming knows where and how to cut). We do need to ensure we have a suitable place for all of this.

BHPFan

hollowpoint67

straykiller

E-120

UltraLNW

Robidouxs

savs2k (maybe)

If I missed anyone that's interested please chime up. Any people viewing that are interested or can help out please chime in as well.

Sorry, I won't be home till March 31st till April 10th; couldn't get off earlier because of work priorities.

nick
03-06-2011, 5:24 PM

BHPFan

hollowpoint67

straykiller

E-120

UltraLNW

Robidouxs

savs2k (maybe)

I'd like to attend, as well, as long as it's after the April's M1919 BP. I can take care of the parkerizing supplies - I have the tank, solution, and most other supplies.

Now I just need to find the kit and compliance parts. Pity there aren't 80% FAL receivers out there these days.

Robidouxs
03-06-2011, 5:48 PM
The best kit I have found is the Imbel that is being sold at Sarco. Avoid the DSA and APEX kits. When I called DSA they told me that the barrels on the kits are shot out and useless. They advised me that it was furtive the kit to build a complete rifle since a majority of the parts were "well worn" and did not want to disappoint me if the kit was not build-able.

I have been told that the APEX kits are also very rough, used by the Germans and then the Turks. Avoid these also.

The Sarco kit is brand new, with excellent original barrel. The best way to go.

Receivers:
DSA
DCI http://www.coonaninc.com/index.php/cPath,7

Avoid:
Hesse
Entreprise

Compliance parts:

Midwayusa, DSA, Brownells

bigstick61
03-06-2011, 8:37 PM
I'd like to attend, as well, as long as it's after the April's M1919 BP. I can take care of the parkerizing supplies - I have the tank, solution, and most other supplies.

Now I just need to find the kit and compliance parts. Pity there aren't 80% FAL receivers out there these days.

The 1919 BP is pretty far out. That would keep this from happening any earlier than cinco de mayo weekend.

Any chance you would be able to attend a BP towards the beginning of April? I know one of my friends needs to have his lower parkerized.

jamesob
03-06-2011, 8:43 PM
fals are easy to build. i assembled mine but was going to have someone headspace it for me, i ended up doing it myself.

bigstick61
03-06-2011, 9:54 PM
fals are easy to build. i assembled mine but was going to have someone headspace it for me, i ended up doing it myself.

Not as easy when you don't have the tools. I may or may not build another FAL and I certainly don't have the extra money to spend right now on all of the tools, anyways. A build party is a good way for people without the tools to be able to get their FALs built.

jamesob
03-07-2011, 6:33 AM
Not as easy when you don't have the tools. I may or may not build another FAL and I certainly don't have the extra money to spend right now on all of the tools, anyways. A build party is a good way for people without the tools to be able to get their FALs built.

i built 2 the first one i didnt have the tools and made it a pain in the ***. the second one i just finished up last week, but i made the action block and borrowed some gauge rods. your right tools are the trick to making the job easier and i will do them all myself from now on.

bigstick61
03-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Anyone have a place they are definitely willing to offer as a hosting site?

Anyone else have a date in mind? I was thinking maybe April 2nd.

Robidouxs
03-08-2011, 5:41 PM
If you want original imported Imbel receiver they are available for $400s shipped, maybe for less if more people join. Currently 76 receivers are going to be purchased. Post indicates seller has to reach 100 receivers before further discounts occur

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=306520&perpage=50&pagenumber=1

You have to be a member of Falfiles to purchase this receiver.

bigstick61
03-10-2011, 1:19 PM
bumping this up

I really want to get this thing going. Anyone have sizeable hosting space?

bigstick61
03-14-2011, 3:23 PM
If anyone has suitable hosting space please both speak up and give us times you would be available for a build party, especially if you also have tools.

bigstick61
03-16-2011, 10:23 PM
btt

bigstick61
03-21-2011, 7:32 PM
bump

thedrickel
03-21-2011, 10:15 PM

He has posted that he is in the shop on Saturdays. I would take the rifle down there personally on a Saturday and try to talk to him.

bigstick61
03-25-2011, 11:46 PM
btt

I'd really like to get this going but others need to step in as I have no experience building FALs or with build parties, have no suitable tools, and have no hosting space.

Otherwise I may try to find someone who can just help my friends and me out. Seems like interest in a build party may have died.

My receivers should be in by the end of the coming week and then I would just have to wait 10 more days. Don't know what anyone else is doing or what kind of timelines people are interested in.