PDA

View Full Version : Need wild pig recipes!!

Howie44
12-14-2010, 8:48 PM
I need some new (or better) recipes for wild pig. I have a few simple ones that I've used over the years, but I'm looking for ideas that will work well for my kids so they dont get turned off to it. Specificly rib recipes, backstrap, tenderloin, and sausage that has been maple flavored (don't ask). Right now I've got half a backstrap cut up with red and yellow peppers, sweet onion and garlic marinating in a thick teryaki glaze so I can crock pot it and serve it over rice. Anybody got a winner dry rub for ribs?

CACitUP
12-14-2010, 9:43 PM
put the pig in boiling water....add a rock. When the rock is soft the pig is ready to eat.

sd_shooter
12-14-2010, 10:03 PM
put the pig in boiling water....add a rock. When the rock is soft the pig is ready to eat.

:rofl:

Agent Tikki
12-14-2010, 11:44 PM
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/results.html

the website really doesn't do them justice.

comblock
12-14-2010, 11:53 PM
I believe the French have boar recipes. Google it.

Alaric
12-15-2010, 1:37 AM
For the ribs: BBQ with salt, pepper and paprika over medium low heat for 3-4 hours. Baste for the last 20 minutes with your favorite BBQ sauce and serve.

For the tenderloins: sear in a pan, then bake and serve with pomegranate sauce.

The sausage will go fine with eggs, in omelettes or in breakfast burritos.

Crockpot is the way to go with the backstrap. Either that or chop it up and feed it to your dogs.

Howie44
12-15-2010, 8:23 AM
Thanks Alaric. Just the kinds of new ideas I was looking for

professionalcoyotehunter
12-15-2010, 8:30 AM
Pressure cook the meat for 20-30 minutes to tenderize. Smoke a 5-8 pound boneless roast for 3-4.5 hours with rub all over it.

Whiterabbit
12-15-2010, 8:52 AM
Do you guys find pig to be gamey? My hunter's ed guy suggested for deer and elk, trim out the fat and bone, that fixes too-gamey flavors. Great.

But fat and bone. That's kind of the point for store bought pig! So what about the stuff you guys take? (My pig trip 4 weeks ago left me empty handed, but I'm always looking for tips to keep in mind for when I can fill my tags :))

And do you guys notice a difference between sub-100 lb and 100+ lb? I'm looking at pigs around Mendocino co, near 101.

Rhythm of Life
12-15-2010, 8:58 AM
Black Pepper
Garlic
Onion
Smoked Paprika
Cumen
Chili Powder
Rosemary
Thyme

Mix it to your liking.

professionalcoyotehunter
12-15-2010, 9:41 AM
Do you guys find pig to be gamey? My hunter's ed guy suggested for deer and elk, trim out the fat and bone, that fixes too-gamey flavors. Great.

But fat and bone. That's kind of the point for store bought pig! So what about the stuff you guys take? (My pig trip 4 weeks ago left me empty handed, but I'm always looking for tips to keep in mind for when I can fill my tags :))

And do you guys notice a difference between sub-100 lb and 100+ lb? I'm looking at pigs around Mendocino co, near 101.
Older boars will be gamey and tough. Most sows are tender no matter the size.

Agent Tikki
12-15-2010, 12:32 PM
One great way to make any meat more tender and less gamey, whether for goat, pig, deer, bear etc etc is to use a wet marinade of plain yogurt. The gameyness (?) is concentrated in the fat and bone like Whiterabbit said, so trim it away if you are put off by strong flavors. After a good day (or two for thicker cuts) just wipe away the yogurt and lay on the rub, hard and let it sit overnight if possible. Roast it grille it, I prefer smoking.

Howie44
12-15-2010, 3:40 PM
One great way to make any meat more tender and less gamey, whether for goat, pig, deer, bear etc etc is to use a wet marinade of plain yogurt. The gameyness (?) is concentrated in the fat and bone like Whiterabbit said, so trim it away if you are put off by strong flavors. After a good day (or two for thicker cuts) just wipe away the yogurt and lay on the rub, hard and let it sit overnight if possible. Roast it grille it, I prefer smoking.

Great idea! Anyway, I already trim away the fat before I cook it. And I just took a taste of the backstrap teryaki I've got in the crock pot. No gamey taste at all. In fact, its delicious! Thanks for the great ideas guys. I really want to try the pommegranite tenderloins

Agent Tikki
12-15-2010, 5:00 PM
A Good home reciped for making tender ribs is to use make a pocket of tinfoil, and drop some Coca-Cola in there with the ribs. Seal it up tight, and braise it in the oven at a low tempurature 225 degrees. Cooking time are gonna dependant on the size of your ribs. for baby backs it would take approx 1.5 to 2 hours, you know they are done when the meat starts to pull away from the bone. My wife likes it really tender so I add another 30 mins or so. This can be done ahead of time, just keep them in the foil, and when you're ready slap em on the grill, over a medium flame, slather them up and get a nice sticky crust on em!

enjoi.

Whiterabbit
12-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Older boars will be gamey and tough. Most sows are tender no matter the size.

How do you sex a pig from 50-100 yards through a 3x scope? :)

Paradiddle
12-15-2010, 10:44 PM

You can also let it soak overnight in milk.

Agent Tikki
12-16-2010, 12:47 AM
You can also let it soak overnight in milk.

buttermilk tenderises too, If its an especially tough old fart.

jabell
12-16-2010, 12:25 PM
hey howie i finally found my rib recipe so here it is.
i highly recommend this to everyone.
works for any kind of ribs.
i’ve been using it for decades & am never disappointed.

place ribs in a shallow pan. Combine all marinade ingredients in mixing bowl, then pour over ribs, turning to coat well. Cover & refrigerate at least 2 hours or as long as overnight.

preheat oven to 200. pour off excess marinade from pan and cook ribs for 3 hours.

cook all sauce ingredients with Ύ cup water in a saucepan over medium heat until thick, about 15 minutes.

to finish ribs on a charcoal or gas grill, place on a rack over low flame. Cook turning once, until lightly browned & crusted. This could take 5 to 30 minutes per side depending on hotness if the fire, distance of ribs from heat & type of grill. At this point, baste ribs with sauce & cook, turning once, for 5 minutes per side. serve ribs with an additional sauce on the side.

marinade:

• 2 cups cider vinegar
• ½ cup worcestershire sauce
• juice of 2 lemons
• 1 tablespoon cayenne paper
• 1 teaspoon spice mix (see notes below)

sauce:

• 1 ½ cups ketchup
• 4 tablespoons real butter
• Ό cup cider vinegar
• Ό cup brown sugar
• Ό cup worcestshire sauce
• juice of ½ lemon
• 1 ½ tablespoons of dry mustard
• ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

spice mix:

you can use any bbq type dry rub but it should have in it some variation of paprika, chili pepper, black pepper, salt, garlic & onion.

Notes:

This recipe is for 2, 2 pound racks. Sometimes I have quadrupled the recipe to accamodate more meat. Adjust as needed.

Also I like to rub spice mix on ribs as well.

Of course if you want to skip the sauce portion of the recipe just use your favorite commercial one.

Good luck & don’t forget to invite me to the bbq.

jeff

professionalcoyotehunter
12-16-2010, 12:33 PM
How do you sex a pig from 50-100 yards through a 3x scope? :)

Males typically are taller and more stout than the sows. It will be noticeable from any optics. The shoulder blades of a male will be wider and the but is usally lower to the ground and thinner.

That is how.:D

I soaked a roast is 2 beers and a bottle of JD BBQ sauce and it was as tender as a babies bottom after coming off the smoker.

Agent Tikki
12-16-2010, 1:41 PM
low and slow is the way to goooooooooooo :)

Howie44
12-16-2010, 3:11 PM
Thanks Jeff! I was waiting for that one. We'll do one of the racks after the holidays

professionalcoyotehunter
12-16-2010, 3:47 PM
I will smoke them for you if you bring them over. Hey, I will even supply the beer.

tommyid1
12-16-2010, 3:53 PM
http://www.zachspice.com/

These guys are freaking awesome. Best rub for brisket chicken or pork.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk