PDA

View Full Version : Cable internet not working

wilson_wwsc
12-14-2010, 8:19 PM
I just got comcast cable internet. They gave us a Motorolla Surfboard modem, and we have a netgear WGT624 v3 router from before. The computer I'm typing on right now is connected to the router right next to the modem and the internet works fine here. My personal computer is also connected by ethernet cable to the same router, but the internet cuts out every so often for varying amounts of time. I've tried power cycling, but that is not a solution.
What gives?

Casual_Shooter
12-14-2010, 8:46 PM
Have you tried connecting the ethernet cable from your personal computer to a different port on the router?

Did the other computer work fine on whatever internet service you were using before?

JDay
12-14-2010, 8:53 PM
I would first plug the computer directly into the modem, if the problem goes away then you know it's an issue with the router (may need a hard reset, firmware update, could have a bad port), if that doesn't fix the problem try another ethernet cable. If none of those make a difference you need to scan the system for malware/viruses/worms, reinstall the ethernet driver, or you could even have a bad ethernet card. Remember, when you have computer problems you need to go through the process of elimination so you can pinpoint the issue.

Satex
12-14-2010, 8:54 PM
Open a web browser and enter the following address: http://192.168.100.1/ (or just click on the link).
That will get you to your Surfboard's status page.
Under STATUS check the uptime. That will tell you if your modem is resetting often. Under SIGNAL check the Signal to Noise Ratio. It should be well over 10dB. Depends on how the coax is routed to the different ports in the home, you may need to take the input from the cable company, put it into a 2-way splitter, run one side to the modem port, and then connect another splitter to the 2 port and drive the TVs off that.

travelshot
12-14-2010, 9:00 PM
I just got comcast cable internet. They gave us a Motorolla Surfboard modem, and we have a netgear WGT624 v3 router from before. The computer I'm typing on right now is connected to the router right next to the modem and the internet works fine here. My personal computer is also connected by ethernet cable to the same router, but the internet cuts out every so often for varying amounts of time. I've tried power cycling, but that is not a solution.
What gives?

If I understand right, you have two computers connected to the same router, connected to the one modem.

If one machine works fine and the other doesn't, it's not a modem issue.
My first guess is your etherent cable or the individual port. Try a new cable.
Even better, switch the two machines' connections first, and see if the problem follows the machine or not. that way you can tell if it's an issue with the individual computer or the router/cable.

did I make sense?

Rivers
12-15-2010, 10:43 AM
If I understand right, you have two computers connected to the same router, connected to the one modem.

If one machine works fine and the other doesn't, it's not a modem issue.
My first guess is your etherent cable or the individual port. Try a new cable.
Even better, switch the two machines' connections first, and see if the problem follows the machine or not. that way you can tell if it's an issue with the individual computer or the router/cable.

did I make sense?

Good suggestion.

Since you have one computer already connected to the router and that computer is working correctly, you know that the router is probably not the cause of the trouble. You also know that the port and the wire to that computer is good. Before disconnecting anything, check the good computer's settings. At the Command prompt, type "ipconfig -all" and write down your settings. Compare those settings to the problem computer. Only the IP address should be unique in the last number group. All other numbers should be identical for all devices on the same network.

Remember if you restart things, power EVERYTHING down first. Then start the modem and wait for the lights to stabilize. Then the router, again wait for it to stabilize. The the connected devices. It's not as critical for cable but really important when resolving DSL issues. This is the most reliable method to ensure your hardware is fully reset.