PDA

View Full Version : Problems wit extended tube support clamp

ggroovin
07-16-2006, 6:46 PM
Was wondering if any of you guys have the same problem I have with my 870 extended mag barrel support clamp and perhaps a fix. To clearly describe the problem, my set up includes a Rem factory barrel support clamp with a sling that attaches to the bottom swivel bolt.

In a recent advanced shotgun class, I noticed the barrel support clamp moving around (up and down) the barrel and extension tube. I tightened the nut and bolt as much as I could but noticed that the clamp still moves around after the effects of recoil and sling tension.

I was at the Del Mar show and looked around for a different clamp but all the Tac-Star and plastic ATI stuff looked even worse than the factory Rem clamp. I know that Brownells sells a machined aluminum clamp for about $45 but that price is shockingly high.

Anyone have a recommendation on an after market clamp or innovative fix?

Thanks

wheelgunner
07-18-2006, 12:56 AM
MidwayUSA, has Uncle Mikes and Choate.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

kantstudien
07-18-2006, 1:08 AM
For $45, you might as well buy a Wilson Combat extended magazine tube. They do not require the use of a clamp, and also come with a better follower and an extra power Wolff spring, not to mention a side sling mount.

ggroovin
07-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Thanks I will check out your recommendations.

James R.
07-27-2006, 5:48 PM
For $45, you might as well buy a Wilson Combat extended magazine tube. They do not require the use of a clamp, and also come with a better follower and an extra power Wolff spring, not to mention a side sling mount.

It is worth noting that the finish of the Wilson parts will not exactly match your shotgun unless you have a Police gun. The Wilson extended tubes are Parkerized, not Blued. The consumer shotguns from Remington are Blued while the Police are Parkerized. If ya oil it up enough it looks close enough for gubment work though...

Regards,

James R.

686+
07-31-2006, 6:09 PM
and put a sling attachment plate between the mag nut and the forend. About ~15 bucks at Brownells.