PDA

View Full Version : CalGuns on Kindle?

MudCamper
12-14-2010, 3:24 PM
OK so I am thinking of getting a Kindle, but am not completely sold.

Does anyone here view CalGuns on their Kindle? Is it convenient or a pain in the arse?

If I could browse and read CalGuns on the free 3G/WiFi on a Kindle that would be the selling point that would push me over the edge to getting one.

Dr Rockso
12-14-2010, 3:36 PM
You could, but using a web browser on an ebook reader is really annoying IMO. The refresh time is very slow and you have to use the arrow keys to tab between links and whatnot. If you want an ebook reader anyway it's probably the best value on the market, but if you want something for web-browsing I'd look elsewhere.

n2k
12-14-2010, 3:38 PM
IPad, much better for viewing......

gadjeep
12-14-2010, 3:57 PM
^^^ this. As much of an Apple hater I am, I don't want you to think for a minute that you will be happy trying to browse cg on a kindle. On the other hand, you will be much happier reading books AND not constantly needing to charge your kindle. The battery lasts an obscene amount of time on those things!

QuarterBoreGunner
12-14-2010, 4:16 PM
Take a look at the new Nook Color; I've been playing with one for the past 2 weeks and am fairly impressed. WiFi only, but it has a touch screen and is full color. I find that using the mobile versions of web sites is more responsive than the full version. I can cruise CGN with no problems. It runs android underneath and.... is only $249.00.

webster223
12-14-2010, 4:20 PM
I've tried browsing Calguns on a Kindle. It works, but not well. Picking the right tool for the job definitely applies here.

MudCamper
12-15-2010, 8:30 AM
OK. Thanks for the input. I guess I'll hold off. And I have no interest in the color display devices (iPads, etc.).

AJAX22
12-15-2010, 8:32 AM
I use my ipod... cheap and very effective.

stphnman20
12-15-2010, 8:35 AM
3g is not free btw.

I use my iphone. Works well. I just don't like that I always have to sign in every time I go on.

mosinmike
12-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Take a look at the new Nook Color; I've been playing with one for the past 2 weeks and am fairly impressed. WiFi only, but it has a touch screen and is full color. I find that using the mobile versions of web sites is more responsive than the full version. I can cruise CGN with no problems. It runs android underneath and.... is only $249.00.

This, I was just given the new color nook and the web browsing is really good on it. The only issue is battery life, it last about 2 days before I have to recharge it. I was just reading they might be upgrading to the new version of android too.

MudCamper
12-15-2010, 10:49 AM
3g is not free btw.

3G is free for life on the Kindle.

Kodemonkey
12-15-2010, 11:00 AM
I'll second the iPad for that. It's a great couch tool. Doesn't replace a laptop by any stretch, but for surfing the net and casual email it fills that niche quite nicely.

2DoorImpala
12-16-2010, 3:25 PM
Don't see the need to spend $500+ for an over priced object to just browse the web and read.......

stphnman20
12-16-2010, 4:54 PM
3G is free for life on the Kindle.
For real? I didn't know that.

jmlivingston
12-18-2010, 5:25 PM

FYI: the Nook Color has been rooted and can be converted to run Android as a full-blown tablet and not just "Android underneath". It gets rave reviews from the tablet crowd. Check out www.androidtablets.net.

QuarterBoreGunner
12-18-2010, 6:08 PM
^CORRECT!

I haven't done it yet, but I'm sorely tempted.

pullnshoot25
12-19-2010, 6:57 AM
Why are people so up on the iFad? Why not get an Android tablet?

jmlivingston
12-19-2010, 8:06 AM
Because right now there's not a lot of competition for the iPad. In the way of mainstream products there's really just the Samsung Galaxy. Most of the other Android tablets on the market today have resistive touch screens wich not only have a much clunkier responsive than what we're used to with our phones but also don't support multi-touch for pinch and zoom. Capacitive touch screens have been expensive and production appears to be limited.

The only other Android tablet I know of with 3G data service on it is the Huawei S7 but it has a resistive screen and is only available from Best Buy. It's a good deal at $299, but Huawei has already EOL'd it for a newer version due in January or so.

For the non-3G devices it looks like one of the best alternatives right now is Archos, ~$300 units with 7" and 10" screens and capacitive screens. They've JUST hit the market in the last few weeks and they've been almost impossible to get. This weekend the 7" seems to finally be widely available at some of the mainstream websites such as Newegg and TigerDirect.

Don the savage
12-19-2010, 11:23 AM
3g is not free btw.

I use my iphone. Works well. I just don't like that I always have to sign in every time I go on.

Enable cookies in your settings. I use my iPhone for calguns often and don't have to relogin.

pullnshoot25
12-20-2010, 3:00 PM
Enable cookies in your settings. I use my iPhone for calguns often and don't have to relogin.

Get tapatalk!