PDA

View Full Version : Received my M39s from SOG. 1/2 wow.

nick
12-13-2010, 9:10 PM
Received the B and B-AV1 (made by VKT) M39s I ordered from SOG a couple of weeks ago. Both are from 1942. Now, here's the weird part.

They didn't have hand select available on B-AV1s, they did have it available on the Bs, so I picked that option, it's netted me good results in the past.

Of course, I pulled the B-AV1 one out first. The moment I removed some packing paper and saw the muzzle, the 'wow' part started. The crown is pristine at about 45 degrees. In fact, the whole rifle is pristine, both the metal and the stock. The bluing is 99.99% (there's a scratch on the buttplate, that's pretty much it). All the parts, including the stock, look unissued. For that matter, they probably are unissued, at least, after the arsenal rebuild. All numbers match (of course, the barrel is Belgian, the receiver is Russian, and the bolt is, well, probably Russian too, I haven't disassembled it yet, but they were stamped matched). The bore looks unfired. There's almost no cosmoline on the rifle (I'm sure it's there in some nooks and crannies though). The action is VERY tight, and even the mag follower is blued and without any scratches on it. It feels wrong to even put a snap cap into the mag. The trigger is very nice, as is typical of M39s.

The barrel and the rear sight are plum in color. The stock looks like it was never treated with anything. I initially thought it was sanded down, but it looks like it was just never treated.

So, after having seen this beautiful rifle (yeah, so I'm a gun nut, so sue me), which was ordered without any hand select, you can imagine my expectations for the B rifle, the one ordered with hand select option.

Well, the B rifle is a mixmaster. The barrel, receiver, bolt and magazine all have different serial numbers. In fact, the bolt is a Soviet Tula. The bluing is still at 98% or so, and the barrel, while it was obviously shot, is still mirror-bright, with perfect crown, perfect bullet test (a Bulgarian 70's surplus bullet goes in about halfway, with about 5-6 mm left between the shell and the barrel). The barrel is plum, everything else isn't. The wood was obviously put together out of parts from different stocks. It has a couple of dings on it.

The rifle is tight, and I'm sure it'll headspace fine. Same thing, it has a perfect 45-degree crown. The trigger is also nice (well, it's an M39). The rifle has a bit of cosmo in it, mostly in the action.

This one will be a shooter.

Now, the weird part is that this was supposed to be a hand-select rifle. I guess, I better order them without hand-select in the future. Nah, I'll still give hand-select a try :)

The problem is, now I want another M39. Now, Sako or VKT, that is the question. Or should I get another B-AV1 and hope for the same result? Those Belgian barrels are VERY nice. I have a few other M39s, none of them with a Belgian barrel, and I like these Belgian barrels way more.

And yes, this threat is worthless without pics :p

ETA: actually, make it 7-8mm left on the bullet test, as the barrel slopes 45 degrees inwards.

Anchors
12-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Try to get the nice one again. I bet they have a crate of them that all look like that.

How much were these?

nick
12-14-2010, 1:41 AM
$230 or so, SOG is having a sale on them until the end of December.

Someguy925
12-14-2010, 6:12 AM
Interesting... I think I need to bag me a M39 from SOG.

freonr22
12-14-2010, 6:26 AM
what happens when inventory gets low, re:hand select? Congrats on the rifles!

paul0660
12-14-2010, 6:32 AM
Hand select means the best of the next 5 or 10 in the crate (it probably says that somewhere on the website), so it is a crap shoot. They don't go through the entire pile to find the best one, and depending on the mood of the employee, who knows how hard they try anyway.

OP, are the stocks wartime? (rounded t and g, wartime, square t and g, postwar, I believe).

Someguy925
12-14-2010, 6:35 AM
Hand select means the best of the next 5 or 10 in the crate (it probably says that somewhere on the website), so it is a crap shoot. They don't go through the entire pile to find the best one, and depending on the mood of the employee, who knows how hard they try anyway.

I suppose if you think about it, whats the guarantee they took the time to go through their stock to find the best one?

Flyin Brian
12-14-2010, 7:40 AM
:useless:

BTW, how obnoxious are the import marks?

Agustav
12-14-2010, 7:50 AM
I also purchased the M39 B from SOG. Although, I did not choose the Hand-Select option, I received a (force) match rifle with almost new bluing, wood, and barrel. This is the reason why I don't bother with Hand-select any more!

PS. The biggest surprise is my other purchase. The Brazilian rebel contract 7mm vz.24. I thought I was going to get a wall hanger. Instead, I got a complete rifle with shootable barrel, a slight chip on the buttstock, minimal surface rust, and extremely dirty overall. The entire rifle is covered in dried oil and some kind of red dirt or clay. Overall, not bad for $129.

nick
12-14-2010, 10:59 AM

OP, are the stocks wartime? (rounded t and g, wartime, square t and g, postwar, I believe).

The B-AV1 stock is postwar, the one on the B rifle is wartime.

jms
12-14-2010, 11:14 AM
If another M39 needed try Sky, more rare than Sako

Jimmy310
12-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Can you link me to sog?

jms
12-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Can you link me to sog?

http://www.southernohiogun.com/

Jimmy310
12-14-2010, 3:55 PM
Wow, 50rds of .303 on stripper clips for $23.......thats pretty impressive.

Inoxmark
12-14-2010, 4:02 PM
Maybe they hand-selected the wrong rifle for you? Who knows, people make mistakes sometimes. The packing guy picked your order sheet with two different rifles, one hand-select, and he hand-selected from the wrong crate?

Pics please.

dogolden
12-14-2010, 7:00 PM
Try Kelly @ x226 & and tell her the guy from SCGUNCO sent you. I have pretty good luck with SOG and I have a good relationship with them.

On my last order I ordered 18 hex 91/30's, a B barrel m39, and a repro sniper rifle. As I was unboxing the rifles I spied a m39 and for a second, just a second, I thought that the milsurp God's had given me a sign with a free m39 (crap I ordered it so my joy was short lived). However I didn't pay for hand select (I got cured of that a long time ago).

$239 for a m39? Dudes you need to jump on these! You can't find them any cheaper anywhere else! I will probably order a few more at the end of the month..

Jimmy310
12-15-2010, 10:01 PM
$239 is a awesome price for a M39. I just paid $275 for a 1944 Sako from the marketplace. i feel ripped off. Per forum rules, here are the pics:

http://i.imgur.com/KohLb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Pt90P.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8WAz7.jpg

mosinnagantm9130
12-15-2010, 10:05 PM
$239 is a awesome price for a M39. I just paid $275 for a 1944 Sako from the marketplace. i feel ripped off. Per forum rules, here are the pics:

http://i.imgur.com/KohLb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8WAz7.jpg

I wouldn't, your rifle has a great looking stock on it.

Flyin Brian
12-16-2010, 4:29 PM

It's just my personal preference, but I'd rather pay $275 for a nice SAKO that might have seen some action in Combat. The B barrels were assembled post-war, but that's why they are in such excellent condition. Heck maybe you need one of each? :D