PDA

View Full Version : Sig 226 Conversion - how do you remove it?

reagan8
12-13-2010, 8:37 PM
I just received my 226 conversion kit today, and it went on without any problems at all. However, I can't seem to be able to remove it! The takedown lever moves just fine but the barrel won't budge. (For those of you who haven't seen one, it's a blowback design, so the slide moves freely but the barrel is fixed).

Any tips on removing the slide/barrel assembly? Maybe I just need to apply more pressure, but I never like to force things. This brand-new out-of-the-box and never shot. Will it be easier to remove after breaking it in?

Thanks in advance.

berg
12-13-2010, 9:26 PM
I just received my 226 conversion kit today, and it went on without any problems at all. However, I can't seem to be able to remove it! The takedown lever moves just fine but the barrel won't budge. (For those of you who haven't seen one, it's a blowback design, so the slide moves freely but the barrel is fixed).

Any tips on removing the slide/barrel assembly? Maybe I just need to apply more pressure, but I never like to force things. This brand-new out-of-the-box and never shot. Will it be easier to remove after breaking it in?

Thanks in advance.

I can't quite figure out if you are asking about removing the slide or removing the barrel.

If you are asking about the .22 top half of a P226 it removes the exact same way a centerfire slide removes. Swing the lever down and pull the slide towards the front of the pistol.

9mmepiphany
12-13-2010, 9:32 PM
I've heard of the take-down lever sticking in the up position, but since it is the only thing holding the upper to the lower, if it is moving the upper should slide right off.

Just a thought...did you take the mag out first? That's the only other thing I've heard that would tie up the upper

Wookiee87
12-14-2010, 6:11 AM
I"ve had this problem too, but I had a brain fart and forgot the magazine was still in the well. My recommendation is check that first.

yasushi
12-14-2010, 6:38 AM
My recommendation is check that first.:rolleyes: ditto.

reagan8
12-14-2010, 6:28 PM
The mag well was empty. I've had brain farts before, but luckily I was in good form last night. ;)

Just like the 9mm slide, I was pulling it all the way back, locking it open with the slide lock, rotating the takedown lever 90 degrees (down), releasing the slide, and it was hanging up as if the takedown lever was still up. The barrel wasn't moving forward at all.

I put that in the past tense because I finally managed to get if off a couple minutes ago by putting pressure on the barrel from the breach with my finger. The barrel moved a tiny bit and then it slid off.

I thought I had it all figured out, but I'm having the same problem all over again, and nudging the barrel doesn't seem to be working this time. Again, the magazine well is empty.:shrug:

El Gato
12-14-2010, 6:37 PM
we have a 226 conversion for our 40sw gun...
it is the single most reliable conversion unit we have and uses, reliably, most any .22 ammo... great unit...

but a pain to put on...
we don't have problems disassembling.. it's assembling that is the problem.

most problems seem to be with the guide rod.. manipulating the barrel/guide rod usually solves the problem...

reagan8
12-14-2010, 6:50 PM
Yeah, I just tried nudging the barrel from the muzzle, and that seems to do the trick. If I tilt it vertically, it frees up.

So far I haven't had any problems putting it on, only taking it off.

Anyway, I think I finally have it figured out now, and if it doesn't rain, I'll take her to the range on the weekend. Looking forward to it!

cmichini
12-15-2010, 7:04 AM
The conversion for my 226 also is a little sticky. I find that if you don't get enough clearance the takedown lever may LOOK ready for disassembly but it is not quite all the way there.

I suggest pushing the barrel back a little and while trying to move the takedown lever more fully into is open position. This moves the barrel lug is a bit further out of the way so the lever can move more freely. Not a gorilla push, but pressure to try to keep the lug free of the lever while you move it into the open position.

HTH