PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about this M1 Garand I have.

Keystone
12-13-2010, 5:31 PM
I inherited this a few years ago and have no interest in shooting it or collecting it. I know that its been re built but so are most garands form what I can gather. It was purchased from the CMP program some years ago. I would like to know more info to get a better estimate of value before I start looking to give it a new home.

It is a Winchester reciever obviously enough. I will try to give a little discription of the pictures in their order.

1) The front end the barrel, to me it looks to be in very good shape compared to the gas tube? It looks like there might have been some old stamping in a rectangular-ish block on the gas tube but it might be nothing.

2) That is some un readable printing on the barrel, the text is clear and sharp but only 1/2 way printed on the horizontal plane so I can't tell what it says.

3) Part of the stamp on the barrel near the reciever, it looks like an "IM" and a partial star with 3 dots on top that is inside a box.

4) The other part of the barrel stamping. Reads SA 6535448 1 88 MD55 P (< large stamp)

5) The bolt with stamped with D28287-12SA; then second line of text s-04(diamond shape)

6) and 7) are just dents on the wood. That is about as bad as they are. The stock seem to be in very good shape.

8) A "P" in a circle stamp on the grip of the stock.

9) I pic of the reciever with SN and Winchester printing

I do not break the rifle down at all so I do not know if there are other marking that might be relevant.

Thanks for any input you might have on collectibility, value, common-ness or awsome-ness.

Keystone
12-13-2010, 5:33 PM
Pictures 6-9

SideWinder11
12-13-2010, 5:35 PM
It's got a Springfield Armory bolt and barrel. The "SA".

beerman
12-13-2010, 5:53 PM
late 1955 s/a barrel,late bolt,definatly a rebuild...should be a great shooter.

icormba
12-13-2010, 6:19 PM
That is a Blue Sky/ Arlington, Va re-imported barrel.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=78585&d=1292290262

NewbieDave
12-13-2010, 6:29 PM
Yeah... if that's stamped on the barrel, I highly doubt it's from the CMP program. CMP Garands shouldn't have any import markings, period... cause they did not come back in county under regulation of ATF.

If you really did get it from CMP, you should have the paperwork to go with it... or if you do not, get it from CMP with the serial number. You're be able to proof that it's a CMP rifle, which will help it keep it's value better then if it was a import.

Looking at your pix... it's a rebuild for sure as is most imports. Probably a Korean or could be from somewhere else. Looking at it... without knowing barrel wear, I would grade it in the RACK grade area due to finishing on the receiver. It being a WRA will bump up the value a little. IMHO, the import marks really going to knock it down.

I would say keep it as a shooter and don't worry too much about selling it. All good gun guy should have a Garand in their safe anyways :)

~dpc

Keystone
12-13-2010, 6:35 PM
I could be wrong about it being a cmp program rifle. I got this along with a remington 513t that has 2 mmcmp stickers on it so I probably confused the two.

icormba
12-13-2010, 6:45 PM
Do you have any full pictures of the stock and handguards? From the small shots you have, the stock looks promising.

NRAhighpowershooter
12-13-2010, 6:54 PM
I would grade it in the RACK grade area due to finishing on the receiver. It being a WRA will bump up the value a little. IMHO, the import marks really going to knock it down.

I would say keep it as a shooter and don't worry too much about selling it. All good gun guy should have a Garand in their safe anyways :)

~dpc

finish on the receiver will NOT determine if it is a rack grade...barrel wear and receiver/stock slop will however determine that

Mac Attack
12-13-2010, 7:31 PM
Definitely an import. Nothing wrong with an Import other than it did not come from the CMP.

Keystone
12-13-2010, 8:15 PM
The rest of the wood is in as good if not better condition as what was shown. I haven't had the chance to check the barrel for extensive wear but I know it was well kept. The park on the outside is still very nice.

Flyin Brian
12-13-2010, 8:38 PM
I looked up the serial number and the receiver was made in 1942.

Keystone
12-13-2010, 9:24 PM
Since I'm not looking to keep the rifle are there any estimation on value? Should I take it too a few gun shops to get it a look over

Ape
12-13-2010, 9:37 PM
I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination...... but without knowing the muzzle and throat measurements it's hard to say how good of a shooter it would be. Much less an accurate price.
However, being that it's a Winchester receiver with a serial number in the 1,000,000 range I'd say that it's worth at bare minimum 5 to 600 in my part of the country. And could be as much as a grand I'd think?

But all of that aside.....and as newbie dave said......Why in the world would you not want to keep a Garand in your arsenal? EVERYONE should have at least one! ;)

Keystone
12-13-2010, 9:49 PM
Well it looks like ill be getting .30 cal muzzle gauge and taking it to a shop just to get checked out

eric2063
12-14-2010, 8:16 AM
Something looks hinky with that barrel, I would have the rifle checked by a gunsmith familiar with Garands before I shot it. A Blue Sky import with the numbers fudged on the barrel (no one was making Garand barrels in 1988) is a red flag to look for other potential problems. There was a point in time were de-milled recievers were welded back together and 1903 barrels were stubbed onto the cut off reciever ends of Garand barrels. Not saying there is a problem with your rifle but the index of suspicion is higher because of some of the markings present. If your in the Sacramento area I have the all the gauges available to do the cursory checks and would be willing to help you out, if you would like.

Keystone
12-14-2010, 9:13 AM
Thanks for the input. To me, not knowing anything it just looks like the stamp was off centre and didn't hit the barrel properly. I'm in the south bay so sac is a bit far just for this. Thank you though. I'm hoping to take it down to Markleys in Watsonville today just to see what they have to say.

hybridatsun350
12-14-2010, 9:24 AM
Definitely make sure that's not a welded receiver. A lot of Garand receivers were welded back together over the years. Check the drawing number on the front of the receiver and see if it matches the year the receiver was manufactured. Often, two different receivers were welded together. Pull the rifle out of the stock and try and get us some close up pictures of the side of the receiver. We're looking for welding, or grinding marks and the drawing number.

Edit: If it is, in fact, a Blue sky import than I wouldn't worry about a welded receiver.

I looked up the serial number and the receiver was made in 1942.

Yea, June 1942 so it's probably got some history to it somewhere!

Keystone
12-14-2010, 7:13 PM
Gun shop was closed so I wasn't able to get any estimates or see if they had a bore gauge. Did field strip it though and it definitely isn't welded any where so I guess thats a plus. I'll try to upload some more pics tommorrow.

eric2063
12-14-2010, 10:02 PM
The first Garand I ever bought was a Blue Sky rifle, I knew nothing about Garands cept it was a six digit gun built in 1941 and I had to buy it!!!!! It's one of the best shooters I have of the six I own now. Yes please post pictures and ask questions, there are a lot of really knowledgeable folks here who can give you a wealth of information. The upside of that is we'll get to see all kinds of different rifles in different conditions increasing our knowledge base as well.

6mmintl
12-15-2010, 8:35 AM
One of six million

Keystone
12-15-2010, 9:15 AM
One of six million

Insightful.:rolleyes:

Mac Attack
12-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Some people do not like them because many were in very poor condition. However, I have a reimported M1 Carbine from the 80's that shoots straighter than any of the carbines I have shot from the CMP. So you could have a gem or your could have a plain old rock. Take it out and shoot it, but don't expect to be able to sell it for the same amount as a USGI CMP Garand.

If I had to rate it's condition based on pictures I would rate it as a field or rack grade rifle. Drop a .30-06 round into the muzzle and see how deep it goes in. If it touches the neck of the case then the barrel is pretty worn. If not then you may have yourself a nice shooting rifle if all the parts are properly fitted.

Keystone
12-16-2010, 6:06 PM
Just returned from Markleys in Watsonville, plenty of FUD on AK/ar's. From talking to them they siad they would estimate $800 on a consignment sale for the garand and 400 for my remington 513t. Yes that's inflated shop prices. I did the bullet tip down the muzzle and there is nearly a 1/4 inch before it touches brass.

Hoping to post more pics soon. And ideas on calguns market price.

Nihonto Chicken
12-16-2010, 8:56 PM
Yes, it's a Blue Sky return. I have a 1.6M SA with the same half-struck import stamp on the barrel (nothing that a few judicious taps with a flat faced punch wouldn't cure, were one so inclined :cool:). I tend to believe that, with time, the prejudice against the stamped returns will fade. So what if the Danes and Greeks came back through CMP, and the Koreans through Blue Sky, big effing deal. Condition is the key. Current CMP Service Grade Winchester Garands go for about eight and a quarter with shipping, generally have a worn original park WRA receiver and maybe one or two other WRA parts, stock may be new wood or post-war GI in okay to excellent condition, luck of the draw, barrels generally '50s GI replacements in very good to excellent condition. FWIW.

Orlando
12-17-2010, 4:02 PM
Something looks hinky with that barrel, I would have the rifle checked by a gunsmith familiar with Garands before I shot it. A Blue Sky import with the numbers fudged on the barrel (no one was making Garand barrels in 1988) .

Its a Springfield barrel made in 1955

Keystone
12-17-2010, 4:26 PM
here are some final pics of the wood and the action, along with the bullet down the muzzle.

Again, any idea on a sale price? Or trade value

Keystone
12-17-2010, 4:27 PM
and here is more of the wood

Orlando
12-17-2010, 4:37 PM
CMP is selling Non Import marked Winchester Garands in like condition for $795.00. Since yours is Import marked I would subtract $100.00 .
IMO its a $695.00 Garand.
Can you get more than that? Probably from someone who doesnt know any better.
Is it worth more than that? No

Keystone
12-17-2010, 5:30 PM
Cool, good to know. Thank you

mls343
12-18-2010, 8:35 AM
Just from my take, and I'm no expert, the Garand condition you have would (just in my opinion) would fall into the CMP Rack Grade category. With that said, everything Orlando said would be in play. For me, subtract $100 from the above figure.

I still think it will be a fun rifle and a good shooter.

Just my $0.02.

kendog4570
12-18-2010, 10:44 AM
The majority of Blue Sky M1's were worn out or out of spec, in one or many areas. They may have many '"homegrown" repairs and Korean mfg. parts not made to original specs. They have been rode hard, put away wet, and roughly refinished one or more times while in the hands of the Koreans, and the pictures you have posted reflect this. The DCM/CMP passed on them and they came into the country via a private firm.

I heard the latest batch that the current administration is blocking is in the same condition. Time will tell, as they will most likely get here in a few years.

Not knocking your rifle, just trying to give a perspective, especially when they are compared to CMP graded guns. The grading is derived largely from specification tolerances and guaging, rather than from NRA style condition grading.

Most gun shops aren't really able to help you with these. Their first concern is selling or reselling it. The best way to get good dope on the M1 is to shoot with a local CMP club. If you just want to peddle it, consign it at a local shop or put it on Gunboards or the like. The market will dictate the final price for you. Set a reasonable reserve, and you wont get hurt.

M1A Rifleman
12-18-2010, 11:05 AM
That is a Blue Sky/ Arlington, Va re-imported barrel.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=78585&d=1292290262

My thoughts also. A Korean import.

rjf
12-18-2010, 12:15 PM
It's a rebuilt Winchester. You should be able to get $700 easy. It's also over 50 years old and is cash and carry / shippable in CA without an FFL. Ask $900 and work down from there.

Good luck.

Nihonto Chicken
12-18-2010, 1:13 PM
Just from my take, and I'm no expert, the Garand condition you have would (just in my opinion) would fall into the CMP Rack Grade category.

Yes, while the current CMP SG WRAs don't measure up in general to their SG SA and HRA brothers, they are in much better condition than the pics show of this rifle in question (CMP WRA receivers may have worn finish, but have no pitting to speak of). So I'd guesstimate a value of a CMP Rack Grade WRA as appropriate.

The majority of Blue Sky M1's were worn out or out of spec, in one or many areas. They may have many '"homegrown" repairs and Korean mfg. parts not made to original specs. They have been rode hard, put away wet, and roughly refinished one or more times while in the hands of the Koreans, and the pictures you have posted reflect this. The DCM/CMP passed on them and they came into the country via a private firm.

There were a few gems (well, gems may be too strong a word, let's say decent rifles) among them. I bought one eons ago at a local gun shop when they were going for $300 a throw. The shop had three in a rack behind the counter. I asked to look at them in order of decreasing outward appearance, and had no idea at the time of the difference between manufacturers. First two had dark bores, pass. The third had a bright bore, sold. Turned out to be a 1.6M SA post-war rebuild mixmaster with birch stock (and '65 SA barrel:)). I'd put it overall at low end SG or upper end FG. Won't ever be a beauty queen, and I won't spend the coin to make it correct, but from other mixmaster rifle take-offs it now sports a walnut stock, lockbar sights and milled trigger guard. Not too shabby now. :cool:

Orlando
12-18-2010, 2:02 PM
What part of the OP's descrpition leads you to think its in the Rack Grade catergory??

Nihonto Chicken
12-18-2010, 8:02 PM
What part of the OP's descrpition leads you to think its in the Rack Grade catergory??

This:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=78955&d=1292631942

Mac Attack
12-18-2010, 8:42 PM
It won't win any beauty contests but I bet she would shoot well.

If someone is looking for the perfect M1 then this one is not it. However, if they are looking for a entry level shooter and do not want to go through the steps to buy a rifle from the CMP, then your rifle is not a bad way to go.

Orlando
12-19-2010, 4:52 AM
This:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=78955&d=1292631942

Ouch, good point.
I would call it a Field Grade with the barrel and other parts.
Heck I have seen Service Grades that pitting. Not that bad but did have pitting and surface rsut