PDA

View Full Version : Russian SKS

SIGman Freud
12-13-2010, 12:23 PM
So I saw this Russian SKS with all matching parts at my local gun store and found out they were offering $350 for it. I checked the inside of the barrel and the bore looked clean and with what appeared to be good rifling. The wood looked to be in good condition, considering it was an early 50's rifle, from Tula.

Is this a good buy? I am unfamiliar with which SKS are the best. I imagine the Russians made the best, though, since they created this rifle.

Anything else I should look at before going back to purchase it?

Thanks. :)

J.D.Allen
12-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Damn good deal. Buy it.

J.D.Allen
12-13-2010, 12:33 PM
BTW this really should be in the centerfire rifle forum. SKS aren't really considered relics...

Reductio
12-13-2010, 12:44 PM
BTW this really should be in the centerfire rifle forum. SKS aren't really considered relics...

Eh, early 50's SKS counts as cash-and-carry for California, and is C&R on the federal level too.

Good price for a matching Russian though.

fal_762x51
12-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Get it and don't bubba it!

CrazyCobraManTim
12-13-2010, 1:11 PM
It's a decent rifle, definitely C&R for the original ones and early years. Great shooter and alot less expensive than the M1 carbine (both in purchase price and ammo costs). I just scored one for $200....should arrive in a week. Christmas comes early this year.... :)

J.D.Allen
12-13-2010, 1:22 PM
It's a decent rifle, definitely C&R for the original ones and early years. Great shooter and alot less expensive than the M1 carbine (both in purchase price and ammo costs). I just scored one for $200....should arrive in a week. Christmas comes early this year.... :)

That one wasn't a matching russian was it?

J.D.Allen
12-13-2010, 1:24 PM
Eh, early 50's SKS counts as cash-and-carry for California, and is C&R on the federal level too.

Cash and carry in CA? I thought that didn't exist anymore for anything that wasn't like, a musket.

To me a SKS is a pretty damn viable weapon. They are discussed in the centerfire rifle forum quite a bit. Although I guess technically it is a relic, I think most shooters don't think of it that way...

Toyman321
12-13-2010, 5:33 PM
Cash and carry in CA? I thought that didn't exist anymore for anything that wasn't like, a musket.
rifles not considered an AW in CA and over 50 years old or older are cash and carry.

mosinnagantm9130
12-13-2010, 6:54 PM
rifles not considered an AW in CA and over 50 years old or older are cash and carry.

Only long guns, not handguns.

Anchors
12-13-2010, 7:11 PM

$350 is great for that Russian!
Um, where can I get in on the $200 SKS deal? I don't care if the parts are from different countries. haha.

To me a SKS is a pretty damn viable weapon. They are discussed in the centerfire rifle forum quite a bit. Although I guess technically it is a relic, I think most shooters don't think of it that way...

No.

This. I sold my RGuns Mosin Sniper cash and carry without issue. Was really no big deal at all. In fact, I wish it were legal for all firearms. It is nice without all the red tape.

cruddymutt
12-13-2010, 7:52 PM
So I saw this Russian SKS with all matching parts at my local gun store and found out they were offering $350 for it. I checked the inside of the barrel and the bore looked clean and with what appeared to be good rifling. The wood looked to be in good condition, considering it was an early 50's rifle, from Tula.

Is this a good buy? I am unfamiliar with which SKS are the best. I imagine the Russians made the best, though, since they created this rifle.

Anything else I should look at before going back to purchase it?

Thanks. :)

NOT Cash and Carry unless you have a C&R AND a COE. If this was a FTF with a private party then yes it would be cash and carry but not through a dealer. Thats why you have a 10 day wait on Mosins from Big 5 whether you have a C&R or not. Was the bolt and bayonet blued or in the white?

knucklehead0202
12-13-2010, 8:54 PM
when buying from a dealer the cash&carry goes out the window. nice catch though for 350 and if you don't buy it about 12 people here will drive to wherever the hell you are and buy it so you might as well dive in. can't go wrong with a Russian SKS. i've scored 2 for that price but that's with a large amount of luck involved. on average they go for well over 400 bucks so even with the DROS you're under the mark. buy it buy it BUY IT!!!!

SIGman Freud
12-13-2010, 9:38 PM
NOT Cash and Carry unless you have a C&R AND a COE. If this was a FTF with a private party then yes it would be cash and carry but not through a dealer. Thats why you have a 10 day wait on Mosins from Big 5 whether you have a C&R or not. Was the bolt and bayonet blued or in the white?

I never said anything about cash and carry. In fact, I don't even know what that means.

As for the bolt and bayonet, funny you should inquire. I thought it unusual that the bayo was blued dark. The bolt? Hmm.....I can't recall for sure, but I believe it was the stainless steel appearance. Sorry, I am kind of new to the vintage rifles or curio and relic firearms. But, I am interested and HOPEfully, the gun store still has it! Wish me luck! :)

SIGman Freud
12-13-2010, 9:43 PM
Thanks for the comments, people. I've been stewing these past 2 days because it's closed on Sundays and Mondays. If I'm lucky, the gun shop still has it. :D

Wish me luck!

Interloper
12-13-2010, 9:57 PM
$350 for a clean, numbers match Soviet is a great deal. While not the rarest, the Soviet carbine's are the best, hands down.

cruddymutt
12-13-2010, 10:05 PM
I never said anything about cash and carry. In fact, I don't even know what that means.

As for the bolt and bayonet, funny you should inquire. I thought it unusual that the bayo was blued dark. The bolt? Hmm.....I can't recall for sure, but I believe it was the stainless steel appearance. Sorry, I am kind of new to the vintage rifles or curio and relic firearms. But, I am interested and HOPEfully, the gun store still has it! Wish me luck! :)
Cash and carry is buying the rifle and taking it home that day, no 10 day wait. It got brought up in this thread. Normally a blued bolt and bayo indicate the rifle was refurbished at one point. There is usually a crudely carved square on the receiver cover and/or the stock and is a refurbishment mark. Of course someone could have put a blued bayo on an otherwise all original rifle. I think $350 is a fair price for a refurbed SKS especially from a gunstore. Ammo is cheap and they are really fun to shoot. My first C&R was an SKS.

IEShooter
12-14-2010, 6:06 AM
How do you determine the age of a Ruskie SKS that doesn't have a date stamp on it? A Calgunner has one that he's looking to sell. Original SKS-45 box, manual, cleaning kit etc., but he claims there's no date on it.

glennsche
12-14-2010, 6:49 AM
i have bought cash carry same day C&R from gunstores. if the guns are the private property of the owner or/on consignment i think its ok, i've never had a COE and it worked before.

and i'd agree that's a good price for a nice russkie sks. i paid 450 for mine about 18mos ago (below)

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/glennsche/CIMG1230.jpg

Interloper
12-14-2010, 8:36 AM
How do you determine the age of a Ruskie SKS that doesn't have a date stamp on it? A Calgunner has one that he's looking to sell. Original SKS-45 box, manual, cleaning kit etc., but he claims there's no date on it.

Must be a replacement receiver cover? Is he sure it's even Soviet? If there is a Cyrillic prefix to the serial it is Soviet and all Soviets are C&R. There should also be an importer stamp somewhere on the carbine that should give you a clue.

paul0660
12-14-2010, 9:00 AM
The private sale aspect of 50+ year old long guns does not have to be face to face btw. There is nothing in the law that says the deal cannot be made, and the rifle shipped, between two California residents (the buyer qualified to own guns), who never see each other.

Here is a picture of the refurb mark referenced earlier. That SKS sounds like a good deal.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/paul0660/StockRefurb.jpg

SIGman Freud
12-14-2010, 1:18 PM
Ahhh MAN! Somebody bought "my" rifle! :( LOL

I KNEW I should have picked it up...........it was almost too good to be true. Arrrgh! Oh well, I keep lookin'.

Thanks for the good tips, folks. You've been very helpful.

J.D.Allen
12-14-2010, 1:26 PM
No.

No what?

TRICKSTER
12-14-2010, 3:08 PM

Must be a replacement receiver cover? Is he sure it's even Soviet? If there is a Cyrillic prefix to the serial it is Soviet and all Soviets are C&R. There should also be an importer stamp somewhere on the carbine that should give you a clue.

Not a replacement cover. It is most likely 1956.

See here for some good info on the SKS.
http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-24.htm

knucklehead0202
12-14-2010, 7:54 PM
bummer on missing out, but sometimes you just have to dive in. i haven't lost on one yet so i haven't felt the sting, probably paid a bit too much once or twice, but nothing i have i couldn't sell for more than i paid, i've done well. good luck in your search, they do pop up here on the sale forums now and then. check every day and pounce when you find one.

SIGman Freud
12-15-2010, 1:05 PM
Haha! Ok, so the update on my SKS trial and tribulation sob story........?

My buddy on the other side of town bought it yestetday morning! :p

I am glad he got it---he's a good guy and had not yet purchased a rifle. He's had a tough past couple of months and this is his reward for making it through difficult times. At least I'll be able to shoot it from time to time. I already have a very nice, unissued Yugo M59/66 A1. So, it will be interesting to compare.

If my bud doesn't like his new purchase, he knows who he can sell it to (and for even less than what he paid for, $350!). ;)

Anchors
12-16-2010, 2:16 AM
No what?

I was saying no to "I thought there was no cash and carry anymore"

and then said "this" to the person that explained just to back up his statement.

I feel like it helps to put people more at ease if more than one person agrees so it doesn't just seem like one guy's opinion.