PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of windex in your gun after shooting?

cyrus
12-12-2010, 9:53 PM
Anyone heard of windex in your gun after shooting?

emcon5
12-12-2010, 9:57 PM
Well, it is mostly water.

Lots of folks use Windex after shooting corrosive ammo, because water neutralizes the salts.

You need to clean the Windex out and oil it after.

Lucky Scott
12-12-2010, 10:00 PM
I do it every time. Get the Windex with ammonia. Then, flush it out with wd - 40. Then clean you gun like normal when you get home.

mauser98k
12-12-2010, 10:25 PM
absolutely. the way i do it is:

1. windex with ammonia down the barrel immediately after done firing corrosive ammo.
2. run dry patches till they come out dry.
3. gun oil coated patches down the barrel.
4. when i get home, i run more dry patches down the bore til they come out clean and dry
5. hot water down the bore
6. more dry patches. do until absolutely dry and clean
7. oil patches

may sound time consuming and laborious but none of my rifles have any rust in them

_Z_
12-12-2010, 10:43 PM
I normally just spray some windex on my rifle after shooting. Wipe it down then when I get home I use some clp or whatever to clean the rest of it.

rkt88edmo
12-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Remember, this is specific to corrosive ammo.

Super Spy
12-12-2010, 10:49 PM
I've heard of it, then I saw a study on the chemistry involved and it seems like ammonia does not denature corrosive salts. Now when I shoot corrosive ammo I just make sure I clean as soon as I get home and mostly use boiling water and then finish up with a Gunzilla'd boresnake. So far so good.

CEDaytonaRydr
12-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Black powder guys swear by it...

Mac Attack
12-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Doesn't windex or other strong cleaners ruin the seasoning of the barrel? The old timer who introduced me to the joys of shooting a traditional blackpowder rifle always talked about the importance of seasoning a bp rifle. He told me that a seasoned barrel will shoot longer between cleanings and told me never to use anything harsher than dish detergent and water.

Palimino Stripe
12-12-2010, 11:49 PM
That's like asking if I've heard of the internet...

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/corrosive/index.asp

Yes- I've used the 'windex' method* everytime I've gone shooting (with corrosive ammo) practically since I've started collecting guns (many many years ago). Never had any problems.

Some people say plain water works just fine. Probably is- but windex comes in a handy spray bottle.

-Palimino

*Windex in the bore & on the boltface after shooting- followed immediately by copious amounts of oil. Then I get home and do a more thorough cleaning.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Doesn't windex or other strong cleaners ruin the seasoning of the barrel? The old timer who introduced me to the joys of shooting a traditional blackpowder rifle always talked about the importance of seasoning a bp rifle. He told me that a seasoned barrel will shoot longer between cleanings and told me never to use anything harsher than dish detergent and water.

Yes, water is all you need. Windex has ammonia, which will remove copper fouling. On an old gun with a pitted barrel, limited copper fouling will actually smooth out the pits and make a barrel shoot better.

Water is all you need to remove corrosive salts from old ammo. Windex is 95% water. It also has detergent, which makes the water more "wet". The detergent also helps clean powder fouling. The ammonia removes copper build up.

A good cleaning regimen for corrosive ammo would be boiling hot soapy water most of the time, and then Windex every once in a while to keep the copper fouling in check.

Jimmy310
12-13-2010, 12:08 AM
Ive used it once or twice, but i usually just use hoppes # 9...i got the large container that will last me the rest of my life.

Toyman321
12-13-2010, 8:27 AM
I put windex in a small bottle with a nozzle so I can squirt some down the barrel at the range and then I boresnake it before it goes in the car. Never had a problem :D

Milsurps
12-13-2010, 9:00 AM
Ive used it once or twice, but i usually just use hoppes # 9...i got the large container that will last me the rest of my life.

I've used Windex in the past, seems to work just fine. Hoope's #9 contains Ammonia so what's the point ? No problems so far...

http://www.hoppes.com/msds/904_MSDS.pdf

emcon5
12-13-2010, 9:13 AM
I've heard of it, then I saw a study on the chemistry involved and it seems like ammonia does not denature corrosive salts. True, but water does, and Windex is mostly water.

Now when I shoot corrosive ammo I just make sure I clean as soon as I get home and mostly use boiling water and then finish up with a Gunzilla'd boresnake. So far so good.My reason for using it, (and many others I would guess) is the convenient spray bottle. I just throw it in my range bag, with a small ziplock with patches and oil, and have a cleaning rod in my hard case. I spray down the bolt face with windex, then run a few wet patches through, followed by dry patches (until they come out dry) and then an oil soaked patch, followed by a dry patch. Last step is wipe it down with a oiled patch, then a shop towel.

Yes, water is all you need. Windex has ammonia, which will remove copper fouling. On an old gun with a pitted barrel, limited copper fouling will actually smooth out the pits and make a barrel shoot better.

Water is all you need to remove corrosive salts from old ammo. Windex is 95% water. It also has detergent, which makes the water more "wet". The detergent also helps clean powder fouling. The ammonia removes copper build up.

There is so little ammonia in Windex compared to a proper copper solvent, it is hardly worth mentioning.

Take a big whiff of a bottle of Windex, it smells like soap. Take a whiff of a bottle of Sweets 7.62, and your eyes will cross.

Someguy925
12-13-2010, 9:24 AM
Windex is handy for removing the salts at the range when you're done for the day. If you want to be thorough, some boiling water does a very nice job of removing the salts, followed by regular cleaning.

mif_slim
12-13-2010, 10:01 AM
I've heard of it, then I saw a study on the chemistry involved and it seems like ammonia does not denature corrosive salts. Now when I shoot corrosive ammo I just make sure I clean as soon as I get home and mostly use boiling water and then finish up with a Gunzilla'd boresnake. So far so good.

Exactly what I do. ;)

Divernhunter
12-13-2010, 5:27 PM
I like windex at the range for corrosive ammo. It surprised me just how much junk came of of a warm barrel with a few wet patches and a spray. Make cleaning at home so much easier and complete. The soap/ammonia in the water make it work better than plain water for me.

I have even used some shooters choice or tetra-gun solvent on my reg ammo guns while warm at the range and it seems to do better also.

dogolden
12-13-2010, 5:42 PM
Some good points are made here. I've been collecting milsurps in South Carolina for about 15 years or so. I've heard all kinds of stories about what cleans them best. I am also a FFL and I specialize in milsurps. Before my semi-rant starts let me state that I am not a chemist or anything like that.

Windex with ammonia does work. Generic window cleaner with ammonia works better (only because it's cheaper). Yes, boiling hot water works wonders but I'm afraid the missus would kick my butt if I even thought about it.

I'm so cheap that I buy generic ammonia by the gallon at Big-Lots and mix it 50/50 with water. I pull the bolt out and just flood the chamber area while pointing the barrel almost straight down. Then dry off and use patches with oil..

cruddymutt
12-13-2010, 9:22 PM
I use to use Hoppes but I kept finding very faint rust in by bores after about a week of sitting. I thought it was because of my swamp cooler in the house so I tried that moisture killing pellets in my gun cabinet but that didnt work either. It got so bad I would clean my guns every Sunday whether I shot them or not. Now I use hot water down the bore first and then Hoppes and I have had not one bit of rust.