PDA

View Full Version : can someone better describe the "special grade" M1 Garand for me?

Hornet_RN
12-12-2010, 6:38 PM
hey calgunners...i'm getting ready to purchase an M1 Garand from the CMP for the first time, but having difficulty selecting which grade i want...i was looking into "special grade"

my purpose for this Garand is to shoot from 50-200 yards at my local range and on occasion use it at a local NRA high-power match. so i want it to function flawlessly, if possible. i don't really care for the collector's value so i don't really care about having original parts, just as long as it functions and looks clean enough. i'm also planning to reload my own .30-06 ammo for this Garand too.

anyways, is the "special grade" the way to go?

what makes it "special grade"?

from what the CMP describes, i gathered that most parts have been replaced with aftermarket parts such as the wood furniture and barrel. but other than that, it's basically the same rifle.

anyone with experience with "special grade" M1 Garands?

thanks,
Hornet_RN

SimpleCountryActuary
12-12-2010, 7:13 PM
The one I received had a new barrel and new wood. It looked and was, in essence, a new rifle. Certainly it has little collector's value (unless I become famous **snicker**). It will also require some breaking in to reach its potential but that's part of the fun.

I'd say the other rifles are already broken in and more collectible. I think the Service Grade is the best value unless you can swing by Alabama and check the Rack Grade babies out yourself to weed out the ones with the marginal bores.

Best!

t0kie
12-12-2010, 7:46 PM
...my purpose for this Garand is to shoot from 50-200 yards at my local range and on occasion use it at a local NRA high-power match. so i want it to function flawlessly, if possible. i don't really care for the collector's value so i don't really care about having original parts, just as long as it functions and looks clean enough. i'm also planning to reload my own .30-06 ammo for this Garand too.

anyways, is the "special grade" the way to go?

Yes, you are right, going with the special grade.
________
WEB SHOWS (http://livesexwebshows.com/)