View Full Version : Duck Hunt in Gridley

12-12-2010, 4:36 PM
I am new to Duck Hunting, but am going on a guided hunt this Saturday 12/18. Any hunting reports, does it look like a good weekend for a hunt / lot of shooting opportunities.

12-12-2010, 8:45 PM
Pray for wind.

12-12-2010, 9:39 PM
Pray for rain and wind.

Pray that your guide knows how to call ducks.

Pray that the dog is worth his kibble.

Then do 12 hail marys and get a shot of whiskey at Granzellas the night before you hunt.
Good luck.

12-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Is the sarcasm because it is a tough season.....or is that just duck hunting in general? Is the deck stacked against me going so late in the season?

12-13-2010, 4:09 AM
2nd on the whiskey at Granzella's. You should hit it about right the ducks are here, the wind or the rain would help. Good Luck and enjoy your hunt.

12-13-2010, 6:53 AM
I'm taking my middle boy up to Alturas next Monday to hunt honkers Tues and Wed. I hope we get to hunt in the snow this time.

12-13-2010, 3:55 PM
I live pretty close to Gray Lodge and hear duck hunters shooting every morning about daylight. Go into the Gridley Grill or Black Bear about 11:00am and they're both full of duck hunters. Good luck.

12-13-2010, 6:35 PM
Is the sarcasm because it is a tough season.....or is that just duck hunting in general? Is the deck stacked against me going so late in the season?

Typically later in the season is better. You just really want wind and then if you can get wind and rain it's better.

the worse the weather is = better.

12-13-2010, 6:55 PM
Thanks for the update, we went last year late November, temp was in the high 40s. They told us to come when it is not a full moon and crappy weather, so here we go! I am just glad to know we aren't too late

12-13-2010, 7:49 PM
You're definitely not late. It finally froze up north.

I've found that wind and a good drizzle work very well. But wind is the key to getting the birds up. Your Saturday forecast (as of now) is calling for rain and 11 mph winds. If you actually get that, and hopefully some good gusts, you should have a great day.

12-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Sorry about the Sarcasm. Duck hunting is full of misery, its part of the fun...
Other duck hunters who have experienced the misery offer our support to each other through sarcasm and in that sarcasm you find the empathy and warmth that is lost in the cold, wet, windy, bird-less days in the blind. Any day in the field is a good day...so they say. But I've had some miserable days in a blind. I've also had a couple really epic ones, and those are why you keep going back in spite of it all.
Good luck on your hunt.

12-15-2010, 8:50 PM
looks like wind and rain for us, conditions will be right anyway.......

12-15-2010, 9:14 PM
The migration is here.. I've been averaging 8.7 birds per hunt this season.. this includes geese along with ducks. I hunt SE of Willows though.. it depends on where you hunt and what conditions are... Gridley traditionally has had good hunting in the past.. This weekend will likely be good since it is supposed to storm for several days meaning no moon light and the ducks will have to go out during the day to forage.. Stormy days have always produced limits for me at my club..

12-17-2010, 12:57 PM
on our way - hunting report to follow tomorrow.

12-17-2010, 6:14 PM
7am forecast is 100% chance of precipitation and 15 mph winds. Wish I was going.

12-18-2010, 3:27 PM
The wind happened. the rain, not so much, or rather not at all during the morning. Still, not a bad day to be out, and fresh duck is joining the lamb at dinner tonight. Hopefully jmust1991 had a good day.

12-20-2010, 6:54 AM
Yeah, it was weird.. we could see it storming in three directions from my club but we only managed 3 ducks and a goose.. the wind about quit at 8a and there was nary a drop of rain... I was hunting in flooded rice this weekend... though those in the natural part of our club on the south side got nice limits of Mallard and pintail..

12-20-2010, 7:02 AM
Yeah, we didn't set any records, a pair of mallards and a snow goose. We were in the rice fields and the guide was dumbfounded, it should have a been an excellent shoot. Everything we saw was way too high, they wanted nothing to do with coming in for a landing.

12-20-2010, 9:23 PM
jmust, who was your guide?

12-20-2010, 9:40 PM
Mitch at Southwind Guide Service - a good group of guys, we had fun, the opportunities were just not there