PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 new one vs older one.

ar15student
12-12-2010, 2:18 PM
Hi there is a used/older 10/22 for about 160
vs
a new one for 210?

I wanted to buy the used one and install a butler creek stock barrel combo. buying a used one will save me some money

but I just dont know if there is a diffirence between how the 10 yr old one vs the new made. is there a difference?

U5512
12-12-2010, 2:26 PM
I have one that's about 20 years old (hardly shoot and like new) and I think the trigger guard is all metal on the old one versus plastic on the new one. I am to damn lazy right now to pull it out and verify it, but I think that's the only difference. Buy the older and you don't have to pay tax.

Jpach
12-12-2010, 2:27 PM
Get the old one. I have an old one and it functions great.

Ak707
12-12-2010, 3:03 PM
the carbine model on rugers website looks like the one i got 12 years ago except for theres somthing in front of the trigger assembly thats not on my old one

G-forceJunkie
12-12-2010, 3:11 PM
Buy the older one, it probably has the aluminum trigger group. Since your replacing everything else, thats all that matters.

Average Joe American
12-12-2010, 4:03 PM
I have owned 2 10/22's. One was new with a plastic trigger assembly and the other one was a pawn shop find. It had the all aluminum trigger assembly and push button mag release. (push button mag release not shown because I removed it) I used them to build these...

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/CIMG2459.jpg

atto
12-12-2010, 4:58 PM
Average Joe American, do you have parts list for the Ruger on the bottom? It looks bad ***!

OP, I'd definitely get the old one for the same reason others have mentioned (aluminum trigger guard).

trautert
12-12-2010, 5:24 PM
Odd forum placement for a 10/22, isn't it? In the Centerfire Rifle forum?

ar15student
12-12-2010, 7:05 PM
I have owned 2 10/22's. One was new with a plastic trigger assembly and the other one was a pawn shop find. It had the all aluminum trigger assembly and push button mag release. I used them to build these...

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/CIMG2459.jpg

push button mag release? on the old one? what do you think about ht ebutler creek combo? bb and stock. i think it si around 130.00??
thanks

btw. both look nice.

Average Joe American
12-12-2010, 7:22 PM
push button mag release? on the old one? what do you think about ht ebutler creek combo? bb and stock. i think it si around 130.00??
thanks

btw. both look nice.

Its not shown in the pic because I removed it. What it was, was the old mag release just didnt have that little tab that stick down. It was just flush to the stock. You had to push it in like a button and not like a lever since there was no lever protruding out. I hope that makes sense? lol.

Average Joe American
12-12-2010, 7:24 PM
Average Joe American, do you have parts list for the Ruger on the bottom? It looks bad ***!

OP, I'd definitely get the old one for the same reason others have mentioned (aluminum trigger guard).

I'll do ya one better. here is a link to my youtube video review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRhC0zyTKkI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbezvWpkcbo&feature=channel

Mail Clerk
12-12-2010, 7:31 PM
Hi there is a used/older 10/22 for about 160
vs
a new one for 210?

I wanted to buy the used one and install a butler creek stock barrel combo. buying a used one will save me some money

but I just dont know if there is a diffirence between how the 10 yr old one vs the new made. is there a difference?

ar15student,

I've read the newer versions are not as good as the older ones. The castings have had flash on the leading edges. Your better served getting the used one you mentioned and putting on the Butler Creek barrel!! Bolt parts are the same so no worry there. Maybe you can change the recoil spring but basically that's all I'd do.

Remember a 22 gets better with age so if your shooting for groups don't measure any particular brand of ammo until you pur a couple bricks through it first. I suggest CCI "Blazer" will suite you fine. In addition you never/ever seldon clean the bore.

Good luck,

Mail Clerk

ar15student
12-13-2010, 6:12 PM
Thank you for your advise. the butler creek is not too much I think around 129 for the combo. I will get the older one. again thanks