PDA

View Full Version : Bad day in the blind better than a good day at work?

lewdogg21
12-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Not always.

I had the wrong stand for my robo so I was robo less. Then I missed teal 2x at first light. Then it was slow as hell with no working ducks but zillions up high. On the 3rd teal time about 8am I sailed one and I had to go out with my lab pup to help. The duck got to the next check and we got it. On the way back to the blind I went down in the water like I've never ever done before. We are talking up to my chin so that my entire body sans head was under water. I popped myself up and remember my I-phone 4 in my coat pocket. Then I took about 10 steps and went down again just like the first time. Got to shore, closed up the blind and did the 20 min walk back to the truck soaked and cold.

Stripped down at the truck to t-shirt and jeans (can't really drive down I-5 naked right?). Ironically the only part of me that was dry was my socks, I guess my clothing soaked up all the water that came racing into my waders.

Got home and got the dog out. Then I realized she had feces on her neck and collar..... human feces. Yes folks, My dog rolls in ****. I soaped her up, dried her off, came in and called the wife to vent.

All of this for one damn teal. I think this day will go down in the bad sort of infamy. I need to go break my Benelli down completely as it got submerged both times. Right about now sleeping in today sounds like it was a better choice.

P.S. I've got my phone in a bowl of rice. I never tried turning it back on. I figure I'll give it 7 hours of so and then try.

lewdogg21
12-12-2010, 11:32 AM
I hope the tractor driver who turned my rice check into WWI infantry trenches parks on top of a in ground bee hive next year with a cab less tractor.

FLIGHT762
12-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Reminds me of the time my Brother shot a bird, got up out of the blind on the rice check to retrieve it. First leg came out fine, but he caught the trailing leg on the edge of the blind and did a belly flop face plant right into the water. All happened in about 2 seconds.

I also had a female Lab that liked rolling in the nastiest stuff.:puke:

junko p
12-12-2010, 12:57 PM
That is a bummer of a day... reminds me why my good friend can do nothing to convince me to go duck hunting with him! Upland only for me o.O

Ahhnother8
12-12-2010, 1:25 PM
Something to laugh about, after a couple of days. Have fallen and ended with a wet arm, but nothing worse. I have seen others go down, and you have to admit it is funny as hell!!

Gotta love the harvesters and bank-out trucks. They can leave 2' deep ruts in the field if they harvest right after the rains. Pull the boards in the risers, so you show some clumps of mud, then you can also see the deep spots. The birds prefer the shallow water anyhow. We went through that nightmare last season, and it bites.

duckman1
12-12-2010, 2:13 PM
I couldn't hit them all weekend either, at least I stayed dry. For the record it is possible to drive naked on I-5, 99 South too.

center_x
12-12-2010, 3:58 PM
Sounds just about the way my duck season is going.

Dooligan
12-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Went out for the first time ever Sunday morning. Nothing was coming close. The one legit shot I had I came up and left the safety on (hey, it was my first time). The very experienced duck hunter in the blind with me only got one.

My stepdad and his partner got 12.

It was awesome. I can't wait to go again.

I am sitting here at work. I will trade you my desk for that duck and waterlogged Iphone any day. ;)

chris
12-13-2010, 11:41 AM
i did the same thing a few weeks ago. sank up to my chest and go my t-shirt all wet. i'mn 6'2" so it takes a deep hole for the water to get over my waders.

a bad day duck hunting is better than being at work anyday.

professionalcoyotehunter
12-13-2010, 1:06 PM
Pics of said chit or it didnt happen.:D

Big Jake
12-13-2010, 5:38 PM

I agree PCH. The great Sir Francis Bacon was once quoted as saying "Accept Nothing Without Verification"! :rolleyes:

pieeater
12-13-2010, 7:01 PM
Glad i was out driving around in the nice warm truck shooting pheasants all weekend. It was pretty rough when wed spot one and have to get out of the nice heated truck.lol

pieeater
12-13-2010, 7:13 PM

ok

http://www.fototime.com/A00A078981A0D54/standard.jpg

Ahhnother8
12-13-2010, 7:45 PM
We shot 7 specs this morning near Sutter Refuge. LOTS of birds around and they wanted to play, but they just would not finish. So we pulled about 20 dozen full-body snow decoys after the hunt. Going to try again in the morning and pull the remaining 10 dozen snow decoys, leaving only specs in the field. Hope it is windy as forecast tomorrow.

Big Jake
12-13-2010, 8:08 PM
ok

http://www.fototime.com/A00A078981A0D54/standard.jpg

Awsome pics. Thanks for sharing! :)

Ahhnother8
12-14-2010, 3:56 PM
Being out hunting IS much better than working, but it doesn't pay nearly as well. Out today (Tuesday) in the wind with no rain for 29 geese. Pulling the snows did the trick. Not a lot of birds around, but not a single bird flared off the decoys. While I was out retrieving a sailed bird (successfully), they shot into a flock of 1,000+- geese grinding into the decoys. The bastards!! Now that is WAY better than working!!

lewdogg21
12-14-2010, 5:29 PM
^^^that is a better day than work. Hoping my phone will only cost $99 to get fixed and I won't need a new phone. It turns on but the screen is essentially blacked out.

Interloper
12-14-2010, 6:04 PM
I was gonna tell you to suck it up until the part about the ****. :rofl2:

lewdogg21
12-14-2010, 6:53 PM
I was gonna tell you to suck it up until the part about the ****. :rofl2:

Yeah human **** is one thing... but eating your donut after touching it or you suspect you touched it was the deal breaker.

pieeater
12-14-2010, 7:45 PM
So how was the teal??? lol

Interloper
12-14-2010, 7:51 PM
Yeah human **** is one thing... but eating your donut after touching it or you suspect you touched it was the deal breaker.

Oh barf. Bad dog. Bad dog!

lewdogg21
12-15-2010, 7:14 AM
So how was the teal??? lol

its doing great in the freezer... as a training aide. :D

My thought was that if I share this day I will never ever have one like it again. I think this coming weekend I'm going to send my buddy out into the abyss to chase down crips while I watch from the safety of the steel tank.